BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 8, 2015 8:32 pm  #741

Re: Fan Fiction Addicts General Round Table Discusion - ADULT CONTENT

Yes, for sure - one single fic may earn immortality 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 8, 2015 8:34 pm  #742

Phew, I wrote the word correctly (and not immorality) 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 8, 2015 8:50 pm  #743

No Freudian slip of the tongue? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 8, 2015 9:26 pm  #744

ancientsgate wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

I love her writing, I think she's brilliant: and I also think she's uncompromisingly brave. She doesn't pander to popular fandom views of the characters at the expense of her own writing and telling a great story. I *do* see her take a lot of "criticism" in her comment pages from those who don't like her authorial treatments of John and Mary; but to me, she's a breath of fesh air. I like her logic when it comes to characterizations; they make sense-- more sense than some of the writers I've seen who will bend over backwards to make Mary a sympathetic character in ways that ...just don't make any sense whatsoever, and those who give John a pass, and ignore just how much Sherlock was hurt by the whole mess of TRF through s3. In other words, I think she's one of the few writers willing to treat the characters pretty even-handedly. 
Of course, this is only my own opinion. :-)

Madlori is an author of considerable talent. I first found her in the Brokeback Mountain fandom-- one of her AU stories was rewritten (names changed) and published, you can buy it on amazon, the book is called Zero to the Bone (maybe it's Zero at the Bone, I forget). If you like gay romance, you'll love Zero. Later on, it was on her tumblr account that I heard about Sherlock and followed her over here.

One thing I like about her characters is that they're real--  they act and speak like real people really do, she doesn't write fantasyland stories, and she's not addicted to happy endings and la-la land scenarios where everything's all wine and roses. Which I realize some people don't like-- some must have a happy ending, every time, or they can't deal with it. I guess I don't have a problem rememering that the fan fic I read and the characters in the stories are all pieces of fiction. Sometimes I giggle or cry, of course, but fortunately, I don't have a problem with keeping fiction in its place, in my heart and mind.

Like you, just my own opinions.

Wholeheartedly agree. :-) Brilliant, thoughtful writer. 

April 8, 2015 9:31 pm  #745

PlaidAdder, 
Chryse, 
Aubundantly Queer
Engazed
MadLori
Achray

April 8, 2015 9:35 pm  #746

Oooh, Chryse is perfect, I agree. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 8, 2015 10:16 pm  #747

Ok then.  I nominate emmagrant01.  I know she's written a lot of stories but she is most known for "A Cure for Boredom."

If I had a dollar for every time I've read that fic with one hand.   
Oh crap, did I say that out loud?  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 8, 2015 10:40 pm  #748

I want to nominate skyefullofstars. She has written this three-piece series that is as long, nuanced and complex as a novel. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 9, 2015 12:14 am  #749

Vhanja wrote:

I want to nominate skyefullofstars. She has written this three-piece series that is as long, nuanced and complex as a novel. 

What's it called?

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 9, 2015 6:12 am  #750

OmG I just wanted to sneak in before breakfast to say how happy it made me ti see my name on that list. It's unbelievable.

Thank you so much.

And now I need to go and write something incredibly heartwarming. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

April 9, 2015 8:20 am  #751

tonnaree wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

What's it called?

There but for the grace of John Watson

Last edited by Vhanja (April 9, 2015 8:20 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

April 9, 2015 11:40 am  #752

Vhanja wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

What's it called?

There but for the grace of John Watson

Ok.  Thanks. 
Have heard of The Boys of Baker Street but not gotten around to reading it.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 9, 2015 1:56 pm  #753

I would recommend to start from the first fic in the series. It's divided into three, but it's really one, continous story.

Last edited by Vhanja (April 9, 2015 2:05 pm)

Team Hudders!

April 9, 2015 3:46 pm  #754

She is brilliant and I loved part 1 and 2 because she created a whole universe of her own. But as far as I know, part 3 has not been finished due to personal problems. In case she continues, I would be very happy. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 9, 2015 4:08 pm  #755

Just started Part 1.  Liking it so far but not totally hooked.  Will certainly keep reading.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 9, 2015 7:21 pm  #756

SusiGo wrote:

She is brilliant and I loved part 1 and 2 because she created a whole universe of her own. But as far as I know, part 3 has not been finished due to personal problems. In case she continues, I would be very happy. 

Sadly, her husband died while writing part 3. She is back, though, and her newest chapter is being beta read now, so it should be out soon. She's replying on new comments, so it looks like she will continue.

Team Hudders!

April 9, 2015 7:23 pm  #757

tonnaree wrote:

Just started Part 1.  Liking it so far but not totally hooked.  Will certainly keep reading.

It is in parts very dark, sometimes you get the feeling that nothing good can ever come out of this. But it will. And it's very well written, with a very thought-through and complex story. (Also, I love her Mycroft).

Team Hudders!

April 9, 2015 7:39 pm  #758

This is good news. But then I will have to re-read at least the beginning of part 3 because I forgot so much in the meantime. 

April 11, 2015 8:16 pm  #759

There are quite a few fics that call Sherlock a "brunet". Isn't his hair dyed black? I'm not sure myself as some close-up pics seem to indicate the tips being dark brown. Yet if you look at scenes like Sherlock and Mycroft in TEH after Sherlock was rescued and he tucks in his shirt and gets his Belstaff back, his hair seem coal black.

Last edited by Vhanja (April 11, 2015 8:17 pm)

Team Hudders!

April 12, 2015 2:17 pm  #760

Finished the first part of There but for The Grace of John Watson.  Damn, that was good!
Started slow for me but once I was hooked, wow.    Looking forward to part 2.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

Board footera