BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 13, 2013 8:45 am  #21

Re: Parade's End on German television

I will do so.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 13, 2013 9:20 am  #22

No surprise that's on arte and not on RTL or Pro7 . What would I do without arte!

Why do they need a second German title for series and films in Germany?! And mostly weird ones. Either they translate the title or they don't! (I prefer the last option) That mix is totally unnecessary.

"Der letzte Gentleman" (The last gentleman) *facepalm* Sounds like a Rosamunde Pilcher novel!

Thank you, stoertebeker!

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

May 13, 2013 9:25 am  #23

"Der letzte Gentleman" was already a title for a review in Diezeitliteratur, Dezember 2007. (I think it is not online available.)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 13, 2013 9:44 am  #24

Yes, but that doesn't make it better. You know, it's always like that with foreign series and films.

I'd like to apply for a position as film title translator!

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

May 13, 2013 10:09 am  #25

"Die Enden der Parade"? 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 13, 2013 10:32 am  #26

LOL
I don't find the German title that terrible. It's really difficult to translate but I'm not sure if keeping the English titles is always the best solution. It's become quite the rule even if there are good German equivalents. But I suppose that's the translator in me speaking. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 13, 2013 12:31 pm  #27

The German title is a little less obscure than the English.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 13, 2013 12:40 pm  #28

That's right. And while he may not be the last gentleman he's the last representative of a certain type of man, a theme that runs through all the novels. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 13, 2013 12:44 pm  #29

Will his use of the word 'parade' be of a little less significance when the title is different? I'm not sure...she thinks to herself...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 13, 2013 1:02 pm  #30

Good point. It depends on how they translate the word. The full title will be "Parade's End - Der letzte Gentleman" so the expression won't be lost. But I've been wondering how clear the word is in English, I mean, is it really used in the sense Christopher uses it (as a code of behaviour)? Or will a native speaker find it also unusual? 

May 13, 2013 1:36 pm  #31

A native speaker would find it unusual. I'm not sure if that would have also applied when the novel was written but it is certainly the case now. So the word parade in imbued with another sense by Christopher.

May 13, 2013 1:47 pm  #32

Thank you, that's good to know. I had the same feeling but of course I'm not a native speaker. 

May 13, 2013 6:43 pm  #33

I know that a lot of American people asked about the meaning of the title, so apparently it is not so clear in English, either.
BTW in Polish Parade's End has also the title "the last gentleman", but it stands not for all the teteralogy, but only for the first volume (Some do not). In fact, all the titles of the four novels are difficult to translate.

June 6, 2013 8:48 pm  #34

Little reminder: Tomorrow .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

June 6, 2013 8:50 pm  #35

WHO needs a reminder?? Can't think of anything else since days.

Just joking. Thank you! 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 7, 2013 8:07 am  #36

*bump*

(just in case  )

June 7, 2013 2:32 pm  #37

It's today? OH my GAWD I was completely focused on next week! I am so out of it. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

June 7, 2013 9:09 pm  #38

I'm watching this in France too. It's on Arte channel. It's nearly the end of episode 3 now...

Well, can't say I'm really fond of this show. The lead actors are great and I can't say it's bad, just not my cup of tea. If it weren't for Benedict, I would have probably stopped watching after a couple of minutes.

Just like old times...

June 7, 2013 9:40 pm  #39

I will discuss this tomorrow. I'm tired and maybe a little bit drunk, too. 
All I know is I like it and I don't know why. 

June 7, 2013 10:00 pm  #40

Punch me in the face wrote:

Well, can't say I'm really fond of this show. The lead actors are great and I can't say it's bad, just not my cup of tea. If it weren't for Benedict, I would have probably stopped watching after a couple of minutes.

Yeah, I feel the same. The story is a bit confusing - it start's right in the middle of some complex relationships and goes one very fast in a too short amount of time. I find it very difficult to keep up. 
But Ben's performance is quite good, even though I think, dark hair suits him better .

By the way, Ben's German dubbing voice is the same as in Sherlock, no comparison to his own one of course!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

Board footera