BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 10, 2013 9:18 am  #1

Is there any chance Jim might have survived?

We know Sherlock survived (or there wouldn't be a series 3); but is there any chance (no matter how small); that Jim also survived?

April 10, 2013 2:17 pm  #2

Re: Is there any chance Jim might have survived?

No.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 10, 2013 4:51 pm  #3

Word of God says no

I'm not sure I wanted him to.  I'll be honest, there have been better Moriatys IMO. I really like the one in the Michael Kurland book and in the House of Silk. A villain, but a principled one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

April 10, 2013 8:28 pm  #4

No.

April 10, 2013 8:35 pm  #5

No - why would he? Finally, he won a Bafta.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 10, 2013 8:37 pm  #6

I love Andrew as Moriarty. So I'm hoping for a flashback or something.
But survived? Impossible.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

April 10, 2013 8:40 pm  #7

Flashbacks will come, I am also nearly sure about that.

April 10, 2013 8:45 pm  #8

Flashback(s) yes, but I'm sure he's dead. His killing himself to make Sherlock kill himself was in character. I don't think they'd resurrect both characters but will tackle other stories. There's so much material to draw from. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 10, 2013 10:15 pm  #9

Also there is the Moriaty thing that happens where every time there is a crime, its Moriaty. That gets kind of dull

He did die in the books when he was meant to , I don't think there's any suggestion, even in fanfic like Michael Kurland's books. that he survived.

I think I just didn't like the idea that he was an out of control psychopath, because at the end of the day I don't think someone like that would have gone as far as he did. I prefer the more restrained, more principled, versions of Moriaty.

Last edited by beekeeper (April 10, 2013 10:16 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

April 15, 2013 11:41 am  #10

Spoiler! That´s a tumblr foto going around right now, I unfortunately read about that but till now I didn´t see it...

Last edited by anjaH_alias (April 15, 2013 11:43 am)

April 15, 2013 12:00 pm  #11

myrarobles,
would you please delete the photo right now. There are people who don't want to see this picture. We want to keep the forum free from Spoilers.

April 15, 2013 1:59 pm  #12

I have deleted the photo. Again please don't post spoilers everyone. If we want o see them we can go on Tumblr etc. 

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 15, 2013 5:36 pm  #13

I also saw it, and asked Boss to change the name of this thread so I don't stumble in here by accident.
Nice of her that she did it right away 

However, this picture could be a photomontage...

Don't worry, Myra. Still friends 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 15, 2013 5:39 pm  #14

It could indeed. It may be better to post the link with a spoiler warning attached. That way I can avoid spoilers too but can still Moderate.

April 15, 2013 6:48 pm  #15

saturnR wrote:

We know Sherlock survived (or there wouldn't be a series 3); but is there any chance (no matter how small); that Jim also survived?

No, but I am banking on the flashback, just as Sherlock Holmes explains everything to Watson in the Canon, I imagine Sherlock will tell John how it all went down.

But I don't think we've seen the last Moriarty, either. (Jim is not Moriarty) The Moriarty brothers are just too big a part of the Canon and Sherlockiana to leave out. 

Last edited by MysteriaSleuthbedder (April 15, 2013 6:49 pm)

April 15, 2013 7:50 pm  #16

UH-oh. 

Be warned.

Super-spoiler pics here from "The Empty Hearse" shoot.  But very on-topic.

April 25, 2013 5:41 am  #17

I don't think so. But I hope he will 'come back' in flashbacks or something. Andrew was amazing in this role, but  despite of all strange theories of which I heard about how Jim might have survived- IMHO he couldn't.

Science has not yet taught us if madness is or is not the sublimity of the intelligence.

April 25, 2013 5:47 am  #18

No more Andrew Scott in a Westwood suit? 
I also don't think that he survived... but, but... nahhh please excuse me while I go cry in a corner and imagine his returning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

April 25, 2013 9:31 am  #19

May I join you please? 

April 25, 2013 9:38 am  #20

Of course, here in the corner is enough room for us both... and others who would join us *sobs*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

Board footera