BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 19, 2013 1:10 pm  #1

A dare

I dare you all to learn this! I triple dare you!

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."
"Well, me and Chinny, we were surprised, but you came looking for us."

March 19, 2013 1:39 pm  #2

Re: A dare

H, He, Li, Be, B, C, N, O, F, Ne, Na, Mg, Al, Si, P, S, Cl, Ar, K, Ca...

That's as far as I got

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

March 19, 2013 1:41 pm  #3

I meant learn the song.

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."

March 19, 2013 7:59 pm  #4

I have this headcanon that Sherlock can recite the Periodic Table backwards.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 19, 2013 8:50 pm  #5

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I have this headcanon that Sherlock can recite the Periodic Table backwards.

But only the antiquated one from this bedroom. He has deleted the current one because the mnemonic for it is boring!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

March 20, 2013 1:45 pm  #6

Sparrow wrote:

I meant learn the song.

I once had to listen to this song on a loop during an open day for my school (I was in the Chemistry dept. doing the same experiment over and over again, makes it look like you're turning water into wine... I would not advise drinking it though.)

But basically after 7 hours I lost the will to live. I head it in my head for days afterwards and now I think the trauma has got to me and I've blanked it from my mind.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 20, 2013 3:54 pm  #7

@Sherlock Hahah nice one.

@Mnemosyne I see, well I've willingly listened to this song a million times. I like it. And I know it. :D

March 20, 2013 4:50 pm  #8

Mnemosyne wrote:

Sparrow wrote:

I meant learn the song.

I once had to listen to this song on a loop during an open day for my school (I was in the Chemistry dept. doing the same experiment over and over again, makes it look like you're turning water into wine... I would not advise drinking it though.)

But basically after 7 hours I lost the will to live. I head it in my head for days afterwards and now I think the trauma has got to me and I've blanked it from my mind.

I'm so sorry, but this just made me giggle at the image.  A lot.  I've had a song worm or two...  ugh...  yeah...  *pats and offers sympathy* 

But. . .  ah. . . unless taking you literally and it was indeed completely blocked, doesn't that mean you would have it slightly memorized, as mentioned above?       Or maybe we shouldn't play it for you again and try to find out.  Here..... have a nice soothing alternative in your mind......    it's called 'John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt'...   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

March 20, 2013 7:30 pm  #9

Tom Lehrer... haha! Lehrer means 'teacher' in german. 

Anyway: Challenge accepted! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

March 21, 2013 9:46 am  #10

I know it does. Which is why I love it so much. He's a teacher called Teacher. How Doctor Who is that?

Last edited by Sparrow (March 21, 2013 9:47 am)

March 21, 2013 11:29 am  #11

"Mr Teacher, Mr Teacher, I know the solution!" 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

March 21, 2013 4:12 pm  #12

Sparrow wrote:

I know it does. Which is why I love it so much. He's a teacher called Teacher. How Doctor Who is that?

And he's good at making lots of different parts of science fun, right?  Totally walks in to the room and goes "Right, physics! Physics, eh? Physics, physics, physics, physics, physics, physics. Physics! Hope you're getting all this down."  (and then lets them conduct an experiment where something gets blown up)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

March 21, 2013 6:07 pm  #13

Mary Me wrote:

"Mr Teacher, Mr Teacher, I know the solution!" 

Haha "What's your teacher's name dear?"
"Teacher"
"Yes, but what is his name?" "
"Teacher"
"Teacher? Teacher who?"
"Just the Teacher"

Russell wrote:

And he's good at making lots of different parts of science fun, right? Totally walks in to the room and goes "Right, physics! Physics, eh? Physics, physics, physics, physics, physics, physics. Physics! Hope you're getting all this down." (and then lets them conduct an experiment where something gets blown up)

Yes, I love him. He was very clever and I am a mega science geek. So I really appreciate what he did becaus many peple diss science thinking it's too difficult or boring or whatever but he proved it can be fun even for those who don't find science in itself, fun and fascinating. (which personally, I cannot understand how it's possible)

April 3, 2013 1:44 am  #14

Russell wrote:

But. . . ah. . . unless taking you literally and it was indeed completely blocked, doesn't that mean you would have it slightly memorized

I was 15 when it happened... that was many *many* moons ago (thankfully.)

I do have a knack for getting songs stuck in my head. Recent additions have been less educational but include the song 'On the Street Where You Live' and the theme tune to Pinky and the Brain... ¬_¬' Oh god that last one, kill me, kill me now. It's been there for about a fortnight.

April 3, 2013 6:55 am  #15

This just reminds me of Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory singing it to himself one episode.

------------------------------------------
There's no shortcut to a dream. It's all blood and sweat and life is what you manage in between.

April 12, 2013 6:53 pm  #16

I can't learn songs, so I'm not going to try this one! I am, however, going to try and learn the Table by column (groups?) whenever I have time (ie never), as I think the patterns are repeated more there? So like I can imagine them getting more/less reactive as I go down the columns, and then hopefully I'll have some sort of link.
I'll have to build a new room in my Mind House, though 

Threatened with burning 'cos his stories were tall
Sherlock Holmes had a great fall
All Mycroft's horses and all Lestrade's men
Couldn't put John back together again

Get your salt and get your gun
An IOU apple? C'mon, you must think!
Let us go -- be ready to run
And remember -- above all -- DO NOT BLINK.

Warning: awkward newbie alert! I will be tenatively posting in random topics until I have established some kind of a rough presence. And then I will probabably continue doing so. You have been warned.

My first fanfic Crossover between Sherlock and AF

April 12, 2013 7:12 pm  #17

How can you not be able to learn songs? Songs are the single easiest thing to memorize, They memorize themselves.

April 12, 2013 11:54 pm  #18

Depends on the sort of mind you have I guess.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 13, 2013 3:00 pm  #19

I have to listen to a song hundreds of times and I still get the verses in the wrong order!!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

April 23, 2013 4:38 am  #20

Kind of crazy this song comes up again in a totally unrelated way, after not having heard of it until here, but I was earlier looking up a similarly-geeky clip on youtube.  Not sure if you came across this already too, Sparrow, but thought you'd be amused that it also recommended to me a clip from a talk show Daniel Radcliffe was on a good while back (easily found by just searching for him + title of song).  And bless him, he said he wanted to sing it, had been practicing a lot, and despite a few mistakes, was kinda impressive seeing someone else get through the whole thing!!  ;D

Board footera