BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 4, 2013 10:03 pm  #1

Richard III's Skeleton found

Today it has been confirmed that the skeleton found in the remains of a church beneath a Leicestershire carpark last year is that of Richard lll.  DNA testing has been carried out using DNA from the skeleton and that given by a living, distant relative of the king (17th generation) and proves the skeleton is his. The skeleton did have a spinal curvature.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 5, 2013 7:33 am  #2

Re: Richard III's Skeleton found

That's really exciting because there was always the discussion if Shakespeare created the image of the hunchback to discredit him for political reasons. But the Queen still has to give her consent to have the remains of the princes examined as well as to prove if they were murdered and buried in the Tower. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 5, 2013 11:18 am  #3

I watched the documentary about the whole discovery and the variety of tests done. Fascinating and he clearly fought to the end- his injuries were horrific. The Richard lll Society works to counter Tudor propaganda and to try to establish what he was really like as a king and a man.

www.richardiii.net

BBC news report with more details:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-21063882

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 5, 2013 9:09 pm  #4

This was interesting.

If this is offensive to any Brits, feel free to delete:

Cheryl Wheeler (American singer-songwriter) says that apparently Richard was killed in a fight over a parking spot.

February 5, 2013 9:11 pm  #5

I'm no Brit but I'm sure they won't be offended. He wasn't a very nice guy after all. And he had to go by car as he'd lost his horse in the battle. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 5, 2013 9:29 pm  #6

"But he wasn't a very nice man." "No. No, he wasn't really, was he?"

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 5, 2013 9:30 pm  #7

February 5, 2013 9:33 pm  #8

"Should have seen the route he took us to get here!"

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 5, 2013 9:41 pm  #9

To the battle of Bosworth?  I just remembered - there's indeed a connection between Sherlock and Richard III. In the film with Ian McKellen the showdown is set at Battersea Power Station. 

Last edited by SusiGo (February 5, 2013 9:42 pm)

February 5, 2013 9:42 pm  #10

Right, that's also why the battle was such a disaster 

Last edited by Harriet (February 5, 2013 9:44 pm)

February 5, 2013 9:43 pm  #11

They should have taken the Tube. 

February 5, 2013 9:45 pm  #12

Since no one of the cabs would take him.

February 5, 2013 9:47 pm  #13

Exactly. And he wasn't even on the side of the angels. 

February 5, 2013 10:41 pm  #14

Definitely not offensive to most Brits (not sure about Yorkists or Ricardians though) you should see the jokes on Twitter!

E.g. Richard lll officially declared winner of the 1485 hide-and-seek championship.
Well that puts Richard lll in third place in the hide-and-seek contest. Just got to find Lord Lucan and Shergar now.

More to follow... but I'll not include any rude ones (oh yes there are some! Lol!)

February 6, 2013 1:33 am  #15

My Shakespeare teacher gave us a 30 slide presentation on this today. It did set us back 20 minutes though.

Last edited by horserider99 (February 6, 2013 1:34 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

February 6, 2013 2:08 am  #16

Davina wrote:

Definitely not offensive to most Brits (not sure about Yorkists or Ricardians though) you should see the jokes on Twitter!

E.g. Richard lll officially declared winner of the 1485 hide-and-seek championship.
Well that puts Richard lll in third place in the hide-and-seek contest. Just got to find Lord Lucan and Shergar now.

More to follow... but I'll not include any rude ones (oh yes there are some! Lol!)

It would have been amazing if it had turned out to be Jimmy Hoffa. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Hoffa

February 6, 2013 8:40 am  #17

Was this an analysis of how Shakespeare was a great propagandist for the Tudors? Mind you, he knew his audience so you cannot blame him. Everyone always loves a good old-fashioned villain.

February 6, 2013 11:49 am  #18

Richard lll won't be the last bloke to have his face reconstructed after leaving a pub car park in Leicester. 

Now the search is on for Richard lll's horse. Has anyone tried Tescos? 

February 6, 2013 11:51 am  #19

New sign at the car park reads:

This is a pay and display car park
Please pay at ticket machine
No burying of dead monarchs.

February 6, 2013 12:03 pm  #20

How much fun you can get out of a king 500 years dead.  He would have made a nice Moriarty.

Board footera