BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 7, 2014 2:37 pm  #541

Re: Sherlock’s Sexuality: An In-Depth Contemplation and Study

Indeed, I knew it from Austen.

Last edited by besleybean (June 7, 2014 2:38 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 7, 2014 2:39 pm  #542

I have to say, I really feel sorry now for those poor guys who are not supposed to have a decent ejaculation in their room whenever they feel like it.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 7, 2014 2:42 pm  #543

Who says they can't?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 7, 2014 2:44 pm  #544

At least I have hope that, since BBC Sherlock uses now cabs instead of hansoms, they will also modernize the meaning of ejaculate 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 7, 2014 2:46 pm  #545

The English language has done that already, without the need of Gatiss or Moffat.
Of course they do update language and ideas.
But they have remained true to the Holmes -Watson bromance, which is central to the stories.

Last edited by besleybean (June 7, 2014 2:47 pm)

June 7, 2014 2:47 pm  #546

Including frequent ejaculations, I know 

June 7, 2014 2:48 pm  #547

Of both kinds, at least for John.

June 7, 2014 2:52 pm  #548

Well, see, we finally met halfway    Now all you need is to acknowledge ACD's Sherlock's ejaculations as well 

June 7, 2014 3:34 pm  #549

I do.
It was a common term for exclamation in ACD's time...as I already said.

Last edited by besleybean (June 7, 2014 3:34 pm)

June 7, 2014 3:55 pm  #550

Yes. And a common term for ejaculations as well 

But this has a serious background. I'm convinced that ACD knew he could not dare to write about his couple openly,
so he wrote as much as he could and gave hints for those who were not infested by homophobia and they recognised the truth.
While the others or the ignorant would not take any offence and could stick to a bromance theory.
Wouldn't be the first time in history and literature that minorities needed to protect themselves like that.

June 7, 2014 4:00 pm  #551

Harriet wrote:

Now, this makes me curious: Do you use this word on a daily base?

I don't even use it on an annual basis, for either of its two meanings.

June 7, 2014 4:00 pm  #552

Harriet.
Have you read his autobiography or any biographies to support this theory?
The biography I read made no mention of it.
I am unaware that any of his papers or that any of his family refer to it.
AG:.  neither do I, it's rather Victorian in it's term for exclamation.

Last edited by besleybean (June 7, 2014 4:01 pm)

June 7, 2014 4:02 pm  #553

That's what I'm talking about. The word for it is Being Silenced.

June 7, 2014 4:03 pm  #554

Harriet wrote:

Yes. And a common term for ejaculations as well ...

Not anymore it isn't. No one in my lifetime has ever called conversation, dialogue, "talking", expressing oneself in any way, even in a sentence that would end with an exclamation point, an ejaculation. Yes, it is a legit meaning of the word, but not in common usage, at least, as I say, not in the last 50 years that I've ever heard.

I think doctors might call what men do when they climax "ejaculation", the semen being the "ejaculate".  But it's not what regular people would call it. lol

June 7, 2014 4:04 pm  #555

You got me wrong, dear. I said it was used for both things in ACDs days.

June 7, 2014 4:06 pm  #556

Well yes.
But we know ACD meant the exclamation variety.

June 7, 2014 4:06 pm  #557

Do we? Why didn't he say "exclaimed" then?

Last edited by Harriet (June 7, 2014 4:07 pm)

June 7, 2014 4:09 pm  #558

Because as a writer he can use whatever term he likes...I still await the evidence to back your theory, as well as the answer to my question.

June 7, 2014 4:10 pm  #559

Harriet wrote:

But this has a serious background. I'm convinced that ACD knew he could not dare to write about his couple openly, so he wrote as much as he could and gave hints for those who were not infested by homophobia and they recognised the truth. While the others or the ignorant would not take any offence and could stick to a bromance theory. Wouldn't be the first time in history and literature that minorities needed to protect themselves like that.

It's the same today, don't you think? BBC's Sherlock handles johnlock exactly the same, for the same reasons, I presume.

June 7, 2014 4:11 pm  #560

It seems that ACD's views on homosexuality were at least more liberal than those of his peers:

http://www.sherlockholmesonline.org/biography/biography13.htm

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera