BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 13, 2014 8:00 am  #341

Re: Sherlock’s Sexuality: An In-Depth Contemplation and Study

I don't know if fanfics really helped me to understand why though..
So, question about sexuality on the show.
I can't tell whether it's biased how they put sherlock kissing molly, but they cut off sherlock kissing Moriarty... It bothers me a little now that I think about it. Thoughts?

May 13, 2014 8:05 am  #342

Maybe they thought that the Molly kiss would be more appreciated by the fans. And we know that Molly is in love with Sherlock whereas Sheriarty seems to be one of the rarer OTPs. 

Why does it bother you? Because they went for the heterosexual option? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 13, 2014 8:07 am  #343

Considering that 10 years ago they wouldn´t touch the subject of homosexuality with a stick on such a TV show, I think the filmmakers were bold anyway to include this Sheriarty kiss.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 13, 2014 8:10 am  #344

Indeed. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 13, 2014 10:50 am  #345

bothers me that they felt like the homosexual one had to be "censored" in a way.. but I guess there's more than one possible excuse for why they did that. Like what susigo said. or maybe the makers aren't homophobic, but worried about homophobic viewers. Could also be story itself required a cut off like that.

May 13, 2014 11:08 am  #346

I am quite sure that the makers are not homophobic (and not just because one of them is gay). 

May 13, 2014 11:17 am  #347

Lue4028 wrote:

bothers me that they felt like the homosexual one had to be "censored" in a way.. but I guess there's more than one possible excuse for why they did that. Like what susigo said. or maybe the makers aren't homophobic, but worried about homophobic viewers. Could also be story itself required a cut off like that.

Not only was the kiss incomplete, but also only the fantasy of that silly fan at Anderson's support group. As though someone would have to be a socially backward, frustrated, confused nut job to even think of such a thing. Ugh. I didn't like that scene on first (2nd, 3rd, etc) view but don't like it even more now.

May 13, 2014 11:21 am  #348

SusiGo wrote:

I am quite sure that the makers are not homophobic (and not just because one of them is gay). 

Homophobic is a stupid word anyway, since it literally means frightened (scared) of homosexuals; none of the showrunners are that, I'm sure, especially since some of them are gay themselves. But, and this is a huge but, that's a business the BBC is running, and they DO have to be careful of offending their oh-so-precious male, 18-35 age group demographic that all TV networks everywhere are after. And I don't know what the entertainment atmosphere is like in the UK, but in the US, let's just say that our male, 18 to 35 year old TV viewing audience is NOT ready for Sherlock to be gay. Nope, no way.

May 13, 2014 11:25 am  #349

Ben Stephenson, the BBC drama director, has stated more than once that they wish to get more good scripts including gay characters whose gayness is just a simple fact and not the centre of the show. Therefore I do not believe that it is BBC policy to suppress homosexual elements in their dramas. And we should not forget that a large part, the majority, I would say, of Sherlock viewers is female. 

May 13, 2014 11:29 am  #350

I wouldn't like to see Moriarty kissing anybody, so it's just fine for me. A matter of taste, simply 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 13, 2014 11:30 am  #351

ancientsgate wrote:

Lue4028 wrote:

Not only was the kiss incomplete, but also only the fantasy of that silly fan at Anderson's support group. As though someone would have to be a socially backward, frustrated, confused nut job to even think of such a thing. Ugh. I didn't like that scene on first (2nd, 3rd, etc) view but don't like it even more now.

Oh, you are a bit harsh - I frequent some festivals in our country where many people like Laura gather and I wouldn´t describe any of them as "socially backward, frustrated, confused nut job" ( a cliche in itself). They are quite funny, enthousiastic young people - they just like outrageous fanfictions and slash (but there´s nothing wrong with that, per se ). The scene was a little tribute to them. I personally was quite amused by it - it wasn´t written to be taken so seriously anyway.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 13, 2014 11:31 am  #352

ancientsgate wrote:

Lue4028 wrote:

For what it's worth, both kisses were just fantasies and therefore tell us nothing about Sherlock's sexuality.

Nevertheless it is interesting why they cut one of those kisses and didn't cut the other one. Everything happens for a reason. But that debate probably is for a seperate thread.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 13, 2014 11:34 am  #353

SolarSystem wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

Lue4028 wrote:

For what it's worth, both kisses were just fantasies and therefore tell us nothing about Sherlock's sexuality.

Nevertheless it is interesting why they cut one of those kisses and didn't cut the other one. Everything happens for a reason. But that debate probably is for a seperate thread.

They cut the second one because public at large is still not entirely used to have homosexuality depicted onscreen.
And yet I see a big, positive change in portrayal of homosexuals onscreen nowadays - when just a few years ago, you wouldn´t even dream to have such things broadcasted on TV.

May 13, 2014 11:40 am  #354

Wait.. the second kiss is cut because the audience isn´t used to homoerotics, and not because it´s super-weird to see our hero kiss his insane arch-enemy..?? Aaaallrighty then.. 

Last edited by Zatoichi (May 13, 2014 11:43 am)

May 13, 2014 11:40 am  #355

nakahara wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

They cut the second one because public at large is still not entirely used to have homosexuality depicted onscreen.
And yet I see a big, positive change in portrayal of homosexuals onscreen nowadays - when just a few years ago, you wouldn´t even dream to have such things broadcasted on TV.

It's probably just me and 'the public at large' would probably have seen it in a different light (not so sure about that, though), but to me a full-blown kiss between Moriarty and Sherlock would just have been pure fun. I certainly wouldn't have thought 'oh look, two gay men are kissing on a television show!'... it would have felt far too much like a joke for me.
(And actually, I was in hysterics when I first saw it.)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

May 13, 2014 11:43 am  #356

Agree, Solar, the Moriarty kiss is not about homosexuality at all.

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 13, 2014 11:47 am  #357

Are you making fun of me, Harriet?

May 13, 2014 11:52 am  #358

No, not at all. That kiss simply doesn't deal with sexuality or homosexuality.

May 13, 2014 11:52 am  #359

Zatoichi wrote:

Wait.. the second kiss is cut because the audience isn´t used to homoerotics, and not because it´s super-weird to see our hero kiss his insane arch-enemy..?? Aaaallrighty then.. 

In a world of fanfiction, from where this idea was taken, everything is possible.
I fear that even poor Redbeard is already paired with some crazy partner in some fanfics....

May 13, 2014 11:56 am  #360

Zatoichi, I didn't see your post, that's exactly my point 

Board footera