BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 19, 2014 11:42 am  #1441

Re: Johnlock Fic Recs *warning - adult content*

I've seen that one Susi but could never decide if I wanted to read it.  Will give it a shot on your reccomendation. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 19, 2014 10:42 pm  #1442

Ok, I've done a search and haven't been able to find this fic recommended, so I will give it a go. Apologies if it's already here and I haven't seen it!

Collared by VelvetMace.

This is a very explicit and dark fic that can be disturbing. It deals with moral white, grey and black areas - mostly grey. It's set in an AU slavery British Empire setting. And, yes, I know that sounds ridicoulous. I've scrolled past this fic several time because I always deemed slavery settings as the most patethic attempt at creating a wank fic.

Oh, how I was wrong. This 13-chapter long gem is nothing short of magnificent. It won't be for everyone, but this is so far from a cheap smut fic that you can get. 

http://archiveofourown.org/works/485427/chapters/845377

Author's description:
In a world where the British Empire is still strong and slavery is her economic backbone, John has become a terrorist for the abolitionist movement. He is caught by Mycroft, enslaved, and given to Sherlock for training. The goal: To test a new kind of slave collar with the power to break even the strongest willed fighter. One that will make even John learn to love being a slave.

A whole bunch of tags and warnings, but this is high quality writing.

Last edited by Vhanja (December 19, 2014 10:43 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 8, 2015 11:26 pm  #1443

I just gotta ask - have you guys read the gem that is The Paradox Series?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 9, 2015 8:21 am  #1444

Do not get me started on wordstrings. 
I love her fics so much but I have been waiting since June for the next chapter of "All the best and brightest creatures". So maybe I shall read the Paradox series again. 
And just in case you like Canon slash stories - as Katie Forsythe she has created a whole Canon universe right here which is brilliant:

http://liquidfic.org/katie.html

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 9, 2015 10:10 am  #1445

I got one fic left of the series and I'm absolutely amazed. Wow, what a series! I sort of don't want to start reading the last one, because I don't want it to end.

Team Hudders!

January 9, 2015 8:39 pm  #1446

Don't worry. Like Susi pointed out, there is soooo much more to read from wordstring / Kathy Forsythe ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 9, 2015 8:44 pm  #1447

I've finished the Paradox-series, and it was so awesome that I actually felt a bit light-headed for a while there. Wowsers. 

So now I'm almost halfway in "All the best and brightest creatures" and I blame Susi for that. 

Team Hudders!

January 10, 2015 4:07 pm  #1448

Brilliant, isn't it? I really hope that she will finish it. It's a wip fot quite some time now, but she promised to come back to it. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 10, 2015 4:15 pm  #1449

It is awesomely brilliant. I do have to say I prefer Paradox, but this is also top notch. 

Team Hudders!

January 10, 2015 4:20 pm  #1450

You should also take a look at the Kathy Forsythe page Susi has posted. It's breath-takingly brilliant. 

January 10, 2015 4:24 pm  #1451

To be honest, I don't have any interest in ACD fanfic, but Im sure it's of equally great quality.

Team Hudders!

January 10, 2015 8:09 pm  #1452

Ok.  You convinced me.
Downloaded The Paragox series.  
Will give it a try.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 10, 2015 8:20 pm  #1453

I envy you for not having read it yet.

Team Hudders!

January 10, 2015 10:32 pm  #1454

I've now read the last published chapter of "All the best and brightest creatures" and since it hasn't been updated in over half a year I will now promptly reread Paradox to put myself back in my happy place.

There is a reason why I usually only read fics that are completed.

Last edited by Vhanja (January 10, 2015 10:33 pm)

Team Hudders!

January 10, 2015 11:14 pm  #1455

I contacted wordstrings not long ago and she promised she would continue. I really, really hope she does. And I just started reading the Paradox series again. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 10, 2015 11:18 pm  #1456

Not sure how to say this without spoiling anything, but... even though "All the best" is of course magnificently crafted and written, I like Paradox much better. "All the best" is just... too intense. Either everything is absolutely horrible, or everything is so intense that it is horrible anyway. In Paradox there is still the intensity, but there is laughter, fun, suspense, hilarity, adorablility (is that a word?) and a fantastic relationship. All the best is just... continous dread and very little else.

I do hope she will continue. I've put the fic on subscribe and will continue reading it if she updates it, but Paradox is still in a whole league of it's own in my view.

Last edited by Vhanja (January 10, 2015 11:20 pm)

Team Hudders!

January 10, 2015 11:23 pm  #1457

The sequel of "Crazy for Love" is finished. I love it very much, as brilliant as the first one and full of suspense. Highly recommended. 

url=http://archiveofourown.org/works/1595666]The Risk of Absence[/url] (112900 words) by prettyvk
Chapters: 38/38
Fandom: Sherlock (TV)
Rating: Mature
Warnings: Creator Chose Not To Use Archive Warnings
Relationships: Sherlock Holmes/John Watson
Characters: Sherlock Holmes, John Watson, Original Male Character(s), Mycroft Holmes, Mummy (Sherlock), Mrs. Hudson, Greg Lestrade, Molly Hooper, Jim Moriarty
Additional Tags: Parentlock, Past Child Abuse, Past Sexual Abuse, Angst, Fluff, Moriarty is Alive, Or Is he?, Grief/Mourning, Suicidal Thoughts
Se[ries: Part 2 of The James Holmes Chronicles
Summary: 

It starts with five words.

“Ah! My favorite little family!”

Last edited by SusiGo (January 10, 2015 11:25 pm)

January 11, 2015 7:43 am  #1458

The same author has started some kind of second version of the sequel.

What He Had Tamed[/url] (3063 words) by [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/prettyvk]prettyvk

Alternate version of the events unfolding in part 2 of The James Holmes Chronicles.

This time, it is really Moriarty who contacs James, and the fic is written from his point of view.

I am not sure what to make of it, but I'll read on to see where it goes.

January 11, 2015 12:46 pm  #1459

Can I also just mention that wordstring managed to put Karma Police, my one and only favourite song of all time, into her Paradox series? If I didn't love the series by then (which I did), I sure as hec do now!

Last edited by Vhanja (January 11, 2015 12:51 pm)

Team Hudders!

January 12, 2015 9:39 pm  #1460

Sometimes I still discover Post-Reichenbach fics I did not know. This is a very good one with an interesting and likable Mary (yes, it is possible). Written before series 3. 

Shopping List[/url] (54336 words) by [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/Moranion]Moranion
Chapters: 9/9
Fandom: Sherlock (TV), [url=http://archiveofourown.org/tags/Sherlock%20Holmes%20*a*%20Related%20Fandoms]Sherlock Holmes & Related Fandoms[/url]
Rating: Explicit
Warnings: No Archive Warnings Apply
Relationships: Sherlock Holmes & John Watson, John Watson/Original Female Character(s), Harry Watson & John Watson, Mycroft Holmes & John Watson, Greg Lestrade & John Watson, Sherlock Holmes/John Watson, Mary Morstan/John Watson, Mycroft Holmes/Greg Lestrade
Characters: John Watson, Sherlock Holmes, Original Female Character(s), Harry Watson, Mycroft Holmes, Molly Hooper, Greg Lestrade, Mrs. Hudson, Mary Morstan
Additional Tags: Pre and Post Reichenbach, POV John Watson, Pining, Angst, Smoking, References to Addiction, Grief/Mourning, Mycroft Being Mycroft, Molly Hooper Appreciation, Established Mycroft Holmes/Greg Lestrade, I Believe in Sherlock Holmes, Sherlock's Coat, Sherlock Holmes Returns after Reichenbach, Sherlock Holmes & John Watson Friendship, Friends to Lovers, Developing Sherlock Holmes/John Watson, First Time, First Kiss, Slash, Shotgunning, Past Mary Morstan/John Watson, Reichenbach Feels, Reichenbach Theory, Reichenbach Angst, Post-The Reichenbach Fall, Pre-The Reichenbach Fall
Summary: 

Tell me about the dream where we pull the bodies out of the lake
and dress them in warm clothes again.
How it was late, and no one could sleep, the horses running
until they forget that they are horses.
It’s not like a tree where the roots have to end somewhere,
it’s more like a song on a policeman’s radio,
how we rolled up the carpet so we could dance, and the days
were bright red, and every time we kissed there was another apple
to slice into pieces.
Look at the light through the windowpane. That means it’s noon, that means
we’re inconsolable.
Tell me how all this, and love too, will ruin us.
These, our bodies, possessed by light.
Tell me we’ll never get used to it.

(Richard Siken, Scheherezade)

John Watson keeps on meeting people he can't manage to keep. Sherlock Holmes seems to be no exception to this rule.blue

Last edited by SusiGo (January 12, 2015 9:48 pm)

Board footera