BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 2, 2012 6:35 pm  #1

Best Inanimate Object

In honour of my favourite category in the Tubey awards (please see awards thread if you have missed these  ) I wondered if you would like to suggest your favourite inanimate objects in either series of Sherlock. The Tubey categories include Sherlock's purple shirt, his coat and Irene Adler's phone. Suggestions welcome with a possible poll to follow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 2, 2012 6:45 pm  #2

Re: Best Inanimate Object

I suggest the dressing gown. And the pillow with the Union Jack so that it's not just Sherlock's clothes  . And the violin, I mean, he's holding it in these hands *clear throat* (somehow I always get back to Sherlock).

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 2, 2012 6:56 pm  #3

The violin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 2, 2012 7:02 pm  #4

Mycrofts Umbrella! :D

July 2, 2012 8:32 pm  #5

If purple shirt is already taken, then coat or skull.

July 2, 2012 9:02 pm  #6

Mrs. Hudson's bins.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 2, 2012 9:43 pm  #7

For God's sake, guys... the skull!

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

July 2, 2012 9:55 pm  #8

Well, I'd say that those couple of bags of Quavers have attracted quite a lot of attention!!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

July 2, 2012 10:03 pm  #9

Excellent Molly! I like it...and Quavers!
Just as well it's nearly the end of term!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 2, 2012 10:07 pm  #10

Just three more weeks to go! (not that I'm counting or anything!!)

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

July 2, 2012 11:50 pm  #11

Well, we all love the skull - but I think I'll vote for the scarf and the framed periodic table on the wall of Sherlock's bedroom. 

Speaking of that, I'd like to get a glimpse of John's bedroom some time.  I wonder what he keeps in there. Compared to the sitting room and the kitchen, Sherlock's bedroom seemed immaculate.  I wonder if John is as neat. Maybe he is, coming from the military.  Probably he bounces a coin off the bedspread each morning to make sure he made it up nice and tight 

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 3, 2012 12:42 am  #12

Sherlock's magnifier

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 3, 2012 12:42 am  #13

Lots of what I would have suggested have already been mentioned but here's one more:

A microscope.  Can't say The because Sherlock uses more than one: in St. Bart's, at his apartment, at Baskerville.  But ya know what?  They all look to be the same model!  So, I submit a microscope as best inanimate object since it's so integral to Sherlock's work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

July 3, 2012 1:40 am  #14

The Diogenes Clubs' silence - if this is inanimate enough  .

July 3, 2012 2:37 am  #15

KeepersPrice wrote:

Well, we all love the skull - but I think I'll vote for the scarf and the framed periodic table on the wall of Sherlock's bedroom. 

Speaking of that, I'd like to get a glimpse of John's bedroom some time.  I wonder what he keeps in there. Compared to the sitting room and the kitchen, Sherlock's bedroom seemed immaculate.  I wonder if John is as neat. Maybe he is, coming from the military.  Probably he bounces a coin off the bedspread each morning to make sure he made it up nice and tight 

Can he be neater than Sherlock? I mean, Sherlock has a sock index!

July 3, 2012 7:37 am  #16

veecee wrote:

KeepersPrice wrote:

Can he be neater than Sherlock? I mean, Sherlock has a sock index!

Yeah, it's weird that he has a sock index yet the living room and kitchen are always a complete mess. Obviously tidy in some aspects but not in others.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 3, 2012 8:20 am  #17

The sheet with Mycroft's foot print or the ash tray from Buckingham Palace

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

July 3, 2012 9:56 am  #18

Can I vote for myself? If not, then I'll have to vote for either Sherlock's racquetball or the pills from Pink.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "It's this or Cluedo."
John: "Ah, no. We are never playing that again."
Sherlock: "Why not?"
John: "Because it's not actually possible for the victim to have done it, Sherlock!"

July 4, 2012 3:00 am  #19

Er...what actually is a sock index?  I've never heard that phrase before.  I'm assuming it's some sort of list/organizer for socks--yes, no???

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

July 4, 2012 5:10 am  #20

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

Er...what actually is a sock index?  I've never heard that phrase before.  I'm assuming it's some sort of list/organizer for socks--yes, no???

Do you mean you don't remember it from the show or that you heard it, but didn't know what it meant?

If the former, I think this is how it showed up: While Sherlock is off identifying Irene's (supposed) body, Mrs.Hudson and John search the flat for what I suppose is some substance that Sherlock might abuse in his emotional/mental state. Sherlock realizes it as soon as he walks in the door and says, "I hope you didn't mess up my sock index this time," or something like that.

If the latter, I believe it is Sherlock's own system for organizing his socks. I imagine he has a purple shirt index, too.

Board footera