BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 30, 2012 12:38 am  #1

My guess how he faked it!

First off, when I saw Molly at the Christmas party, well, I'd say Sherlock is WAY too busy thinking about other stuff!

That said, when the little girl screamed, she obviously saw Sherlock's face before. Moriarty hired a double for the kidnapping. When Sherlock is about to fake his death, and gets Watson to witness it, we never, EVER see Sherlock on the ledge talking on his phone. We see far shots (Watson's POV) and closeups of Sherlock talking on his cell phone. (Other location on the roof) Never shots on the ledge while Sherlock speaks.

Sherlock, with his brilliant wisdom, 'deduced' from clues who the double was and brought him to the rooftop and hid him out of site from Moriarty until he was dead. He told the double that he had two options: 1. Go to prison for life for kidnapping, or 2. End his life, as everyone knows how prisoners would treat child molesters/killers in prison.

Remember, we NEVER saw Sherlock talking on cell with his feet on the ledge. The double jumps, Sherlock runs down the stairs as Watson gets bumped by a hired biker while the double's body is removed (with the help from Molly) and Sherlock takes the double's place on the ground. Watson grabs Sherlock's hand but did he check his pulse? PTSD. His professionalism doesn't apply here.

Molly's team scrambles and removes the body quickly. Watson is devastated. Shot of Watson at Sherlock's grave while Sherlock fights back (with all his might) the biggest grin on earth.

Season three: PTSD is the least of Watson's horrors.

June 30, 2012 1:59 am  #2

Re: My guess how he faked it!

vicjperry wrote:

Remember, we NEVER saw Sherlock talking on cell with his feet on the ledge.

WE didn't, but John did.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

June 30, 2012 8:34 am  #3

Wholocked wrote:

vicjperry wrote:

Remember, we NEVER saw Sherlock talking on cell with his feet on the ledge.

WE didn't, but John did.

Exactly.

I know there's a lot of people who believe in the "doppleganger" theory, but I just can't. I don't really see how these writers would justify the use of a double after the way the conversation between John and Sherlock is showed. Yes, you can say we don't see Sherlock clearly enough from John's point of view, but there are enough frames passing from one to another that really make very difficult for me to think that was not Sherlock in the ledge talking to John.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 30, 2012 9:21 am  #4

vicjperry wrote:

When Sherlock is about to fake his death, and gets Watson to witness it, we never, EVER see Sherlock on the ledge talking on his phone. We see far shots (Watson's POV) and closeups of Sherlock talking on his cell phone. (Other location on the roof) Never shots on the ledge while Sherlock speaks.

omg, you wanted Benedict standing on a ledge with that much air below him delivering a few lines!!!!?????
Good grief, the thought of what would happen with one slip! No no no .

errrmm, anyway, that would have been a really bad camera shot. So that is why you didn't see that kind of shot.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 30, 2012 9:01 am  #5

I agree to a certain extent. But I think carrying a dead body up to the roof, holding it and tossing it away down to the ground is too risky; someone might have seen him doing it, even Watson!

My guess is that he did jump off the roof, but he fell on a contraption (maybe a mattress held outside a window, allowing him to roll inside the room) without reaching the ground. When Sherlock was secured, Molly's team (on ground level) threw the corpse that looks like Sherlock onto the floor, complete with blood effect. They worked very quickly and whisked the body away when Watson came near to it, to avoid suspicions.

Last edited by Shark_Blade (July 30, 2012 9:03 am)

July 30, 2012 10:15 am  #6

Thinking...someone could have thrown a body from the window of another floor of the building to the ground.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 30, 2012 9:59 pm  #7

Yet John saw the body up close and actually touched the wrist checking for a pulse. It seems hard to believe that they used another dead body and it could fool John. The crowd surrounding the hospital would have to give statements to the police. Their description of the man would not fit Sherlock's unless they found a great look-a-like. Plus why have Sherlock have this long drawn out discussion with John to work up his emotional state? He could have called John and said goodbye and jumped to achieve the same effect if there was not a reason for it, unless the setup for the trick was being put into place during their conversation and he was buying time.

To me, the writers had John check for a pulse to rule out a Sherlock dummy being the way Sherlock avoids death, as he did in The Empty House.

Last edited by Lupin (July 30, 2012 11:05 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the foil of a detective a thief or a magician?

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

July 30, 2012 11:18 pm  #8

Yes, wouldn't one thing going through your mind be " omg NOT Sherlock, no!" There would be that hope that " please let me be mistaken", so I would think, regardless of what was witnessed beforehand that you would subconsciously initially look for visual confirmation.I can't believe that John was fooled THAT much.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 31, 2012 12:02 am  #9

Well, there was a famous case a while ago..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2147737/Whitney-Cerak-Mistaken-identity-teenager-family-believed-died-car-crash-weds-baby.html

I actually ended up buying the book seeking to understand how this could possibly happen in the modern time and age. Anyway, it is possible!

Also, most likely Mycroft would have done the second confirmation in the mortuary, as this would have been another chance for John to understand what is going on.

July 31, 2012 12:19 am  #10

Isn't that leaving a lot to chance? There's no reason to believe John would have a case of mistaken identity, not to mention the rest of the crowd who cradled his head before he was taken away by the paramedics.

The body rolls onto its side after the fall and John sees the face before getting knocked over by the bike. There's very little time for a switch for those who suggest a switch plus blood is pooling under the head. If there were a switch, there would be some evidence of it, and dead men also don't bleed.

Last edited by Lupin (July 31, 2012 4:56 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

July 31, 2012 5:25 am  #11

"there would be some evidence of it"

That's our point but it is clear you are not sharing our opinions - lol.

"and dead men also don't bleed"
well, that recently deceased ones kinda do, in fact.

July 31, 2012 5:29 am  #12

I'm not suggesting there was a switch either, just that I don't think you can plan to have a case of mistaken identity. I do think John mistook the identity of the corpse but that there was a reason for it rather than it being left to chance.

Also, with recently deceased, it would be fortuitous for Sherlock if there were a recently deceased body to use that Molly or someone can throw off. My point in my theory thread is that Moriarty was recently deceased and already bleeding from his head. It would be a nod to the canon if this were the case.

Last edited by Lupin (July 31, 2012 5:39 am)

October 7, 2012 12:08 pm  #13

Interesting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera