BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 28, 2012 9:29 am  #1

Here's a 'different' adaptation I guess you could call it.

This is a site that has summaries as well as a whole myriad of other aspects of the canon books, as well as others. It is written for "students" and honestly, whie they are pretty close with their summaries, they are just drop dead funny to read!

Excerpt from the summary of The Empty House:

-Watson excitedly greets his formerly late-lamented friend and demands the down-low on how it is that Holmes is alive.
-First Holmes makes Watson promise to resume his sidekick roll, starting tonight. Watson says, no problem.
-Then Holmes launches into a long narrative where he explains how he didn't die. Here's the gist.
-A few years earlier Holmes was having an epic showdown with his arch-nemesis, Professor Moriarty, in Switzerland.
-Being a classy guy, Professor Moriarty let Holmes write a farewell note to Watson. Even Moriarty couldn't deny the power of the bromance.
-Then Moriarty tried to knock Holmes off a cliff. They struggled and Holmes managed to knock Moriarty off the cliff with his knowledge of sumo wrestling. No, really.
-Then Holmes realized that he was still in danger from Moriarty's gang of minions, who would want to avenge their boss. So Holmes decided to fake his death and hide out till he could take care of Moriarty's gang.
-Holmes made sure that the scene would fool Watson into thinking he had died.
-Then Holmes climbed up the side of a cliff to make his escape.
-On his way, one of Moriarty's gang members threw rocks at Holmes and tried to kill him. Do these people not have guns?
-Holmes escaped and ran off to Italy.
-His brother, Mycroft, was the only one who knew he was alive and helped him hide out for three years.
-Holmes globe-trotted for three years and stayed off the radar.
-He also did some secret spy work, scientific exploration, science experiments, and chilled with lamas in Tibet.

That comes from this page and with a little poking around you will find how to view other ACD stories.

Warning: don't use this as a shortcut to reading the canon originals, but it's a quaint little reference.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 28, 2012 11:34 am  #2

Re: Here's a 'different' adaptation I guess you could call it.

These are rather hilarious...except from Milverton:

- Watson let's us know that this is a very unusual story and it has to be shrouded in some secrecy in order to protect people's identities. Color us intrigued, Watson.
- One night Holmes comes in and tells Watson they're about to have a visitor.
- The visitor is a Charles Augustus Milverton, a professional blackmailer who is scum of the earth in Holmes's opinion.
- Holmes has been hired by a Lady Eva Blackwell to deal with Milverton, who is blackmailing her with some old love letters on the eve of her wedding to a super-rich nobleman.
- Milverton comes over and is a friendly looking guy in his 50s. Not typical super-villain material.
- He toys with Holmes and Watson and demands a huge amount of money from Lady Eva.
- Holmes says she can't pay it and offers a lower amount.
- Milverton refuses, and Holmes tries to reason with him.
- Then Holmes springs up, and he and Watson grab Milverton.
- Milverton mocks them and says that he isn't stupid enough to carry Lady Eva's letters around with him.
- He mocks them some more and then leaves.
- Holmes and Watson just got owned.
- Sherlock Holmes won't be beat, though, so he gets to work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 28, 2012 11:37 am  #3

"Holmes and Watson just got owned."
classic, lol.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 28, 2012 3:34 pm  #4

It even gives the stories a "steaminess" rating:

Exactly how steamy is this story?

G

Considering they deal with elopement, opium dens, and even murderers, Sherlock Holmes tales are pretty darn pure – at least, in sexual terms. Not only is the Great Detective himself practically asexual, but his intellectual friendship with Watson comes at the expense of Watson's own romantic forays: practically every story begins with Watson ditching his wife, Mary, and running off to hang out with his best buddy Holmes instead.

While there have been theories for years that there's a little sumthin'-sumthin' going on between Watson and Holmes, you could argue that it almost doesn't matter if there is. The emphasis in these stories – and in Holmes and Watson's own friendship – is on intellectual reasoning and not on personal desire. Of course, we do have to note that, even if the Great Detective himself seems to be sexless, Holmes's clients get up to all kinds of romance-inspired hijinks on their own – there's the elopement of Hatty Doran in "The Noble Bachelor," for example. But even in these instances, there's no explicit sexual content to make your grandmother or your kid siblings blush.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 1, 2012 7:41 pm  #5

"-Watson notes that the silhouette moved and Holmes says duh. He arranged for his housekeeper to move the wax dummy occasionally so that it wouldn't look like a wax dummy."

Loved this one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

Board footera