BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 17, 2012 11:43 am  #1

Dopey Deductions

Some of you may have just witnessed some 'amazing' deduction skills in this thread :

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1022

So, I know you guys can do MUCH better.

In this game thread, we're going to solve a mystery.I'll post a picture & you guys are going to tell me what has happened. Hopefully this will be a long process, as every now & then I may find more clues & post them.
If on your deduction travels you find anything that may be of interest, please feel free to post it also. Sometimes the tiniest detail that is overlooked could be the one clue that will "break the case wide open." ( I've always wanted to say that line   )

STORY.

Mycroft had been visiting his little brother, trying to coax him into solving a case of the missing Ronald McDonald statue.
As he approached his house, the only clue that something wasn't right. Mr Speurder, his neighbour had always been a private man. In fact he never saw him, but he always had a beautifully manicured lawn. So he was surprised to find this pile of rubbish left on his front lawn.

Mycroft arrived home, walked through his palatial residence, past his life sized chess pieces and out the back to hop into his Hot Tub.

And THIS is the scene he found: (It's a big pic, but it needs to be so we can search easily for clues, of course.)

Please help by shedding some light on the subject. My eyes are tired, can you find some clues & do some DOPEY deductions for me?
Thanks.
Oh and I'll have a cup, white & two thanks.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 17, 2012 1:57 pm  #2

Re: Dopey Deductions

Ok. I'll give it a try then.
I deduce that someone (who is not Mr. Speurder) has emptied the contents of a recycling bin onto Mr. S.'s lawn.
(Not sure about the number of recycling bins. In my country there would be at least 5 of them: One for plastic and packaging, one for residual waste, one for returnable bottles - the beer bottles and the can in the picture -, one for green glass, and one for white glass.)
Seems that they are the remains of a barbecue (ashes between the stones on the left !).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 17, 2012 2:12 pm  #3

The one piece of stone near the garbage and selected stone pavers near the hot tub seem to have lettering on them but I wear glasses for a reason and can't make them out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

June 17, 2012 2:17 pm  #4

There are also a couple of towels in the pile of rubbish on the old chap's lawn. It looks like the aftermath of  a BBQ rather than merely the recycling bins being emptied. There are quite a few drinks bottles, alcoholic and water. The two stones piled one on top of the other look like they could have been sat on. Some of the packets look like food packaging, could be meat but the picture isn't clear enough for me to be certain. There also seems to be some rusty/ burnt metal in with the rubbish. In the remains of the fire there are pieces of unburnt wood.

The second picture. You can see where the hot tub must have been because the slabs are cleaner and lighter where it was sitting and darker and dirtier around the edge. There is an electrical cable running around the edge of the slabs towards the front. There is also a dustpan and brush at the front of the patio area, suggesting someone may have been sweeping up. I think, again it is a bit hard to see, but it looks like there are footprints in the soil to the left of the slabbed area. There are some small pieces of wood in the picture too. These would appear to be very similar to, if not the same, as the pieces of wood left around and on the slabbed area in the other photo.

Assuming (dangerous I know) that the hot tub was of wooden construction and that when Mycroft has gone out where it should have been is now left bare as in the second photo. I deduce that the hot tub has been used as intended hence the towels (or the towels were used to wipe themselves down after breaking it apart) and susequently that the wooden surround of the tub has  then been used as firewood for the BBQ on the neighbours' lawn. Possibly by people who have had quite a bit to drink.

I could be miles out here. Thanks for posting this by the way. Brilliant idea! (Apostrophe completely appropriate).

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 19, 2012 2:50 pm  #5

so what's the answer?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 21, 2012 11:16 am  #6

The clue's in the name...She put the word "dopey" in capitals so I think there's something more to it...

Good observations by everyone!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 21, 2012 11:29 am  #7

tobeornot221b wrote:

I deduce that someone (who is not Mr. Speurder) has emptied the contents of a recycling bin onto Mr. S.'s lawn.
(Not sure about the number of recycling bins. In my country there would be at least 5 of them: One for plastic and packaging, one for residual waste, one for returnable bottles - the beer bottles and the can in the picture -, one for green glass, and one for white glass.)
Seems that they are the remains of a barbecue (ashes between the stones on the left !).

FIVE!!!???
Omg.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 21, 2012 12:10 pm  #8

So... It was the 7 Dwarves that did it eh? And they are trying to pin it all on...Dopey!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 21, 2012 12:16 pm  #9

tobeornot221b wrote:

Yes, definitely ash there. Not cigar ash but rather ash from a pine tree that has been cut up as firewood. Splashes of Olive Oil on the remains so definitely a galloping gourmet BBQer.

well done.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 21, 2012 12:18 pm  #10

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

The one piece of stone near the garbage and selected stone pavers near the hot tub seem to have lettering on them but I wear glasses for a reason and can't make them out.

Yes definitely writing, seems to be Greek.
Can you follow that through & decipher for us please?

Good work Constable Skitty.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 21, 2012 12:22 pm  #11

Davina wrote:

There are also a couple of towels in the pile of rubbish on the old chap's lawn. It looks like the aftermath of  a BBQ rather than merely the recycling bins being emptied. There are quite a few drinks bottles, alcoholic and water. The two stones piled one on top of the other look like they could have been sat on. Some of the packets look like food packaging, could be meat but the picture isn't clear enough for me to be certain. There also seems to be some rusty/ burnt metal in with the rubbish. In the remains of the fire there are pieces of unburnt wood.

The second picture. You can see where the hot tub must have been because the slabs are cleaner and lighter where it was sitting and darker and dirtier around the edge. There is an electrical cable running around the edge of the slabs towards the front. There is also a dustpan and brush at the front of the patio area, suggesting someone may have been sweeping up. I think, again it is a bit hard to see, but it looks like there are footprints in the soil to the left of the slabbed area. There are some small pieces of wood in the picture too. These would appear to be very similar to, if not the same, as the pieces of wood left around and on the slabbed area in the other photo.

Assuming (dangerous I know) that the hot tub was of wooden construction and that when Mycroft has gone out where it should have been is now left bare as in the second photo. I deduce that the hot tub has been used as intended hence the towels (or the towels were used to wipe themselves down after breaking it apart) and susequently that the wooden surround of the tub has  then been used as firewood for the BBQ on the neighbours' lawn. Possibly by people who have had quite a bit to drink.

I could be miles out here. Thanks for posting this by the way. Brilliant idea! (Apostrophe completely appropriate).

Yes, the unburned wood are the bits where I detected the Olive Oil & I believe you are right on the meat packets, so definitely not a vegetarian BBQ. The thick plottens!
Foot prints!? Excellent work, they are not 'houndlike' I hope?

Oh, so the firewood came from the hot tub? He must have bought one of those Scandinavian Pine ones huh? The cheapskate!
Brilliant work.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 21, 2012 12:27 pm  #12

So to sum up the first set of deductions by the "Irregular Detectives who Baked on the Street" (classy name for our unit guys):

- five rubbish bins emptied on to lawn
- ash from a pine tree that has been cut up as firewood. Splashes of Olive Oil on the remains so definitely a galloping gourmet BBQer.
-  writing on pavers seems to be Greek.
- the unburned wood are the bits with the Olive Oil came from cheap IKEA hot tub.
- meat packets, so definitely not a vegetarian BBQ

Hmm well if you would all go off on your selected tasks & report your findings, we may start unravelling this sometimes between episode 2 & 3 of Series 3.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 21, 2012 1:06 pm  #13

Someone stole the hot tub and used it to start the BBQ...which would suggest it was a pretty big BBQ

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 21, 2012 1:19 pm  #14

Some one stole the hot tub and used it as a fire-pit but it MELTED? What about Dopey?

June 21, 2012 4:39 pm  #15

Am I just being dopey?
Because I can't see a hot-tub ANYWHERE!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 21, 2012 5:21 pm  #16

There are a large number of bottles from alcohol. These bottles are all different not only ranging in brand but also in type there is red wine, cider etc. making alcoholism unlikely as they are creatures of habit. A party is also unlikely as there isn't other evidence in the rubbish of a party. I don't think this is Mr. Speurder's rubbish but rather someone else has dumped their rubbish on his lawn. The fact that the rubbish is spread out suggests this was an act of hatred against Mr. Speurder rather than someone just didn't want to pay for rubbish collection as that would more than likely be more rubbish and bagged up in some way. Then there is the fact of the camp fire as far as I am aware this is not a usual feature of manicures gardens :D The dumper perhaps lit this to draw Mr. Speurders attention. This would have been very effective during the night which is more than likely when the rubbish was dumped because someone walking around in an area where Mycroft lives with bags of rubbish is sure to draw attention in broad daylight. The rest of the contents of the rubbish lead me to believe that a student is our dumper. Typical student rubbish. Instant noodles, alcohol, cola, value bottles of pop. I'd ask Mr. Speurder if he's ticked off any students lately.

Now about Mycroft's hot tub is it that his hot tub used to be here or this is a spot next to his hot tub that we've just to deduce things about?

July 7, 2012 10:41 pm  #17

I deduce--Mr. Speurder  stole the hot tub,  invited some party-goers  (7 dwarfs,  most likely)   and THEY  trashed his lawn while Mr. Speurder  was asleep.   Have we solved the mystery?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

Board footera