BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 17, 2012 9:37 am  #1

WELCOME TO TOPIC 1000

And they said we'd never make it!

Sheesh!
Party anyone?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 17, 2012 11:27 am  #2

Re: WELCOME TO TOPIC 1000

The first thing that came to mind after seeing the topic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

The lyrics seem to fit perfectly. The y even have the line: "Everyone around the world come on!" I saw this group play live here a few years ago and they were great.

Last edited by Dramagod (June 17, 2012 11:28 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 17, 2012 3:26 pm  #3

Woo-hoo!

Well done everyone...

Wait till we get to topic 1895..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 17, 2012 3:28 pm  #4

Color me an idiot but what's special with the number 1895? Was it a year that some particular Sherlock story was released or something like that? I'm sure the answer is obvious but I do not know what the number means. Go on, educate a newbie.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 17, 2012 3:36 pm  #5

Oh, in scandal it's the number of hits John's blog got!
I think there's another thing to do with the year but I can't remember it right now...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 17, 2012 3:38 pm  #6

Of course! How could I forget that one. I automatically thought it's a year.

June 17, 2012 4:08 pm  #7

Congratulations everyone. Did somebody suggest a party?

June 17, 2012 4:55 pm  #8

Dramagod wrote:

Color me an idiot but what's special with the number 1895? Was it a year that some particular Sherlock story was released or something like that? I'm sure the answer is obvious but I do not know what the number means. Go on, educate a newbie.

The year 1895 refers to  a poem by Vincent Starrett (1886-1974)

221B

Here dwell together still two men of note

Who never lived and so can never die:

How very near they seem, yet how remote

That age before the world went all awry.

But still the game’s afoot for those with ears

Attuned to catch the distant view-halloo:

England is England yet, for all our fears–

Only those things the heart believes are true.

A yellow fog swirls past the window-pane

As night descends upon this fabled street:

A lonely hansom splashes through the rain,

The ghostly gas lamps fail at twenty feet.

Here, though the world explode, these two survive,

And it is always eighteen ninety-five.

Last edited by tobeornot221b (June 17, 2012 4:59 pm)

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 17, 2012 5:15 pm  #9

In the canon, in The Adventure of Black Peter, Watson says the following:
"I have never known my friend to be in better form, both mental and physical, than in the year '95.  His increasing fame had brought with it an immense practice..."
Later he says this:
"In this memorable year of '95..."
Having a Kindle really helps with looking up the exact quotes.

June 17, 2012 5:20 pm  #10

Of course you're right, Veecee! Starrett's poem refers to those quotes from the canon. It's a bit like original text and secondary literature...

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 17, 2012 5:23 pm  #11

I like your new avatar, tobe. Is that your stunt-double again?! 

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

June 17, 2012 5:24 pm  #12

tobeornot221b wrote:

Of course you're right, Veecee! Starrett's poem refers to those quotes from the canon. It's a bit like original text and secondary literature...

Yes, and thank you for the poem.

June 17, 2012 5:25 pm  #13

Molly Hooper wrote:

I like your new avatar, tobe. Is that your stunt-double again?! 

Yes, as I told you. The money was good, apparently. 

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 17, 2012 5:39 pm  #14

Drama God I had to laugh at the 'color me an idiot'. It reminded me of a joke when Gerald Ford was President of the USA. Apparently there was a fire in the White House and the Presidential library was totally burnt, both books...including the one he was colo(u)ring in at the time.

Poor Gerald, never had the reputation for being bright.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 18, 2012 7:47 pm  #15

Back to the topic of the 1000th topic -
Isn't this a good time to thank our administrator and moderators for keeping this forum together? 

Last edited by veecee (June 18, 2012 7:48 pm)

June 18, 2012 7:59 pm  #16

To Sherlock, Davina, kazza and every one of the wonderful members...

THANK-YOU!!!

June 18, 2012 8:03 pm  #17

Woo-hoo!
Congratulations or something!

I guess this is a good opportunity to say that I really enjoy spending my time on this forum and that you're a great bunch of people!
Unless you're not people. Then you're great... whatever you are then

June 18, 2012 8:05 pm  #18

Thanks, Sammy! You know, us non-people don't get enough positive recognition!!

June 18, 2012 8:08 pm  #19

Thank you Sherlock Holmes and moderators for keeping this forum together. This place is comfey, cosy... and it's because of you guys laying the groundwork.

Last edited by Dramagod (June 18, 2012 8:19 pm)

June 18, 2012 8:09 pm  #20

Alright then...
THANK YOU

Board footera