BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 19, 2013 10:52 am  #121

Re: Tell us what part of the world you come from

I am from the east coast of the United States, Upstate NY. Not near the ocean, but a stones throw from one of the Great lakes - Ontario.
I'm about three hours from the 1000 Islands. Quite a nice area to visit in the summer months. My sister has a cottage about 20 minutes from A-Bay (Alexandria Bay) which is a big tourist area in the Islands.
Lots of water around me. I am in the finger lakes region which mean lots of wineries. We actually went on a tour of the Seneca lake wineries one Christmas. It was a good thing we had a designated driver. By the time we got 3/4 of the way through the tour we were snookered!

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

February 21, 2013 3:19 pm  #122

I am from Germany. I live in the very West, quite close to the border to Belgium and the Netherlands and only a three hour train ride to London.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

March 22, 2013 6:13 pm  #123

I live in Poland. I haven't seen any people from Poland in this forum yet.

ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ᴥส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

March 22, 2013 6:16 pm  #124

AndyO. wrote:

I live in Poland. I haven't seen any people from Poland in this forum yet.

Oh, Poland is great! May I ask where in Poland? A few of my classmates are in Krakau at the moment. They're doing an exchange. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

March 22, 2013 6:21 pm  #125

Near Warsaw. But I visit Cracow sometimes.

ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ᴥส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

March 22, 2013 7:44 pm  #126

AndyO. wrote:

Near Warsaw. But I visit Cracow sometimes.

My grandmother was from Poland. My mother spoke some  Polish. I remember a few odd phrases -- and, of course, the swear words.

March 22, 2013 7:54 pm  #127

veecee wrote:

and, of course, the swear words.

Hahah, it's the most useful thing xD People in Poland use the swear words very often. I don't like it.

March 22, 2013 8:22 pm  #128

Oh, good to know there are Sherlockians in Poland. I'll go to Wroclaw for three days next month. I'm looking forward to it as I've never been to Poland. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 22, 2013 8:24 pm  #129

SusiGo wrote:

Oh, good to know there are Sherlockians in Poland.

Of course there are!

March 22, 2013 8:26 pm  #130

AndyO. wrote:

veecee wrote:

and, of course, the swear words.

Hahah, it's the most useful thing xD People in Poland use the swear words very often. I don't like it.

Then I'd better stick to English with you.

March 22, 2013 9:27 pm  #131

My nearest big town s twinned with Sopot in Poland. My son went there on a rugby tour and he really liked it. My daugher as a good friend who is Polish and I used to work with lovely lady from Poland.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 22, 2013 9:31 pm  #132

I was living in Cracow for more than three months last year. bardzo fajne!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

March 22, 2013 9:33 pm  #133

SusiGo wrote:

Oh, good to know there are Sherlockians in Poland. I'll go to Wroclaw for three days next month. I'm looking forward to it as I've never been to Poland. 

Pity it´s not next week - I´ll be there too 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

March 22, 2013 9:35 pm  #134

Oh, that's a shame, we could have met for a coffee and a bit of fangirling. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 22, 2013 9:37 pm  #135

"Catch you later!" 

March 22, 2013 9:56 pm  #136

Mrs.Wenceslas wrote:

I was living in Cracow for more than three months last year. bardzo fajne!

And you are from Czech, right? I spent a lot of time in Praha when I was a child. My grandfather lived and worked there for many years.

March 22, 2013 10:24 pm  #137

yay, so wonderful to meet you here! 

March 23, 2013 7:27 am  #138

Sherlockita wrote:

I am from India.. I am surprised to see that the maximum number of members here are from US and not UK but yeah, i understand US is a very large country in comparison to UK

hey nice to meet someone from india! finally a fellow country mate... 

March 23, 2013 10:55 am  #139

Sherlockita wrote:

I am from India.. I am surprised to see that the maximum number of members here are from US and not UK but yeah, i understand US is a very large country in comparison to UK

That is odd, I thought the majority of members were from the UK and surrounding countries. I thought we Yanks were the minority.
Has anyone ever done the stats on members in this respect? You know what percent are from what areas of the world?

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

March 23, 2013 2:39 pm  #140

There are means by which we could work out the membership stats but to be perfectly honest it is the active membership that matters.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera