BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 11, 2012 12:08 pm  #41

Re: Untranslatable puns

Pip has several meanings: 1. peep (the sound); 2. seed (as in orange or melon seed)
In the Sherlock Holmes story "The Five Orange Pips" people receive five (orange) pips/seeds as a warning. In "The Great Game" Sherlock knows that some societies used to send 5 pips. When he receives 5 (Greenwich) pips (the peeping sounds), he realizes that it is meant as a pun/reference to the 5 pips. This wouldn't work in translations because there is no connection between a peeping sound and orange seeds. The only connection is that both can be referred to as "pips" in English. At least this is how I understood the scene.

Last edited by Audrey Horne (August 11, 2012 12:10 pm)

August 11, 2012 12:20 pm  #42

Ah, thank you. Didn't know about The Five Orange Pips by ACD, yet. That explaines everything.
I think you understood the scene right - at least so do I (now  ).

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 11, 2012 12:45 pm  #43

Audrey Horne wrote:

Pip has several meanings: 1. peep (the sound); 2. seed (as in orange or melon seed)
In the Sherlock Holmes story "The Five Orange Pips" people receive five (orange) pips/seeds as a warning. In "The Great Game" Sherlock knows that some societies used to send 5 pips. When he receives 5 (Greenwich) pips (the peeping sounds), he realizes that it is meant as a pun/reference to the 5 pips. This wouldn't work in translations because there is no connection between a peeping sound and orange seeds. The only connection is that both can be referred to as "pips" in English. At least this is how I understood the scene.

Yes that is what the scene was about & it was a nod to the canon by changing the 'pips' from seeds to the modern day Greenwich pips.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 24, 2014 9:24 pm  #44

You mentioned a lot of untranslable (or hardly translatable) lines and I wonder about the "I am Sherlocked" quote. I was watching "Scandal in Belgravia" on the television with the voiceover (I hate it and usually use Polish subtitles but I was curious how fast can the voiceover speak) and they didn't translate Irene's password at all! I was shocked. I know it's difficult to translate but one should expect they'd just have tried. So how was it translated in other languages?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

April 21, 2015 12:26 pm  #45

In French it was:

Je suis
SIM_
locké

Only problem with that: There is no French word like "locké" (locked - for PCs etc. - is verouillé. The -é corresponds to -ed - past tense for many verbs). They must have bet on the fact that all French students are supposed to learn English at school...

April 22, 2015 12:10 am  #46

I'm guessing "Meretricious" — "And a happy new year" wouldn't translate well?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 22, 2015 8:16 am  #47

Puns are one of my favorite part of the show.
The french translators made a good work with the "meat dagger" pun, by translating it by " dard".
"Dard" means "stinger" ( so a potential, but unlikely weapon), and also a colloquial word for penis.

April 22, 2015 8:56 am  #48

ukaunz wrote:

As a Norwegian I always loved that scene, but never quite got it. It did sound like it was refering to something, but I don't know what.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 22, 2015 9:34 am  #49

Vhanja wrote:

ukaunz wrote:

As a Norwegian I always loved that scene, but never quite got it. It did sound like it was refering to something, but I don't know what.

Translating it to another language wouldn't help, since that's the kind of pun that's dependent on the sound of the words. Meretricious sounds a liittle like "Merry Christmas", to which one might respond, "And a happy new year."  Just translating that straight into any other language would remove the humor.

April 22, 2015 9:36 am  #50

Ah, of course. As simple as that. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 22, 2015 2:19 pm  #51

I wonder if somebody managed to translate that nice remark of "F...." "Cough" from TEH into another language. Our translators gave up on that one and didn´t even try.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 22, 2015 2:46 pm  #52

Actually yes, in french, they used the word  "enflure"  which both means "bastard" and "swelling" .
Holmes starts prononcing the word, and Watson finishes.

Last edited by NatureNoHumansNo (April 22, 2015 2:47 pm)

Board footera