BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 1, 2013 5:59 pm  #1

Benedict in talks to play Alan Turing

This is very exciting. Benedict is said to be in talks about playing the English mathematician Alan Turing. His story is unbelievably sad and dramatic, I just read it on Wikipedia. Read more about the project: 

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/benedict-cumberbatch-in-talks-to-play-alan-turing-in-the-imitation-game/

Last edited by SusiGo (February 1, 2013 6:01 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 1, 2013 6:02 pm  #2

Re: Benedict in talks to play Alan Turing

Just beat me to it Susi! I hope he gets/takes this part. Alan Turing was a brilliant (literally) man who deserves more (posthumous) recognition.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 1, 2013 6:07 pm  #3

Yes. What the British government did to him was very cruel. But at least Gordon Brown apologised in 2009. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 1, 2013 6:08 pm  #4

Belatedly but better than nothing I suppose.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 2, 2013 6:12 pm  #5

February 2, 2013 7:08 pm  #6

Oh yes, Benedict will deliver a splendid performance - again. I'm sure. But sometimes I think he deserves to play finally someone who is allowed to 1.survive a whole film  2. have a successful or at least satisfied and happy life 3. not always be a  tragic figure.
Means I want to see him in a comedy again for a change. He can do that!!

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 2, 2013 7:15 pm  #7

I had the same thought. Cancer, various suicides, ALS … And I'm quite sure he won't survive the end of ST either.  What is it about him that makes directors and producers think he's best in dramaticv/tragic parts? On the other hand he doesn't seem to very sad about it. 
I just remembered: Wasn't there some talk about a part in a Monty Python reunion? This would be a comedy, I suppose. 

Last edited by SusiGo (February 2, 2013 7:17 pm)

February 2, 2013 7:24 pm  #8

Yes, Monty Python would be: "now for something completely differerent".
And the Simpsons aren't expected to be that hightly dramatic either.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 2, 2013 7:31 pm  #9

So let's hope for the best. Although there aren't many actors who excel in dramatic and comic roles in equal measure. But some comedy now and then would be nice. Like CP for the eyes. 

February 4, 2013 6:33 pm  #10

Could be people know him so well for his dramatic work that they don't send him many comedy scripts or many good ones. Maybe he needs to do something comedic to show that he can, casting folks don't have much imagination. This project does sound interesting, but it would be nice to see him in a lighter romantic comedy type film. Just for a change of pace, if nothing else. Still good to know there's potentially more for us to look forward to.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

Board footera