BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 12, 2024 4:18 pm  #1

Andrew Scott in Ripley on Netflix

I'm currently watching this adaptation which is streaming on Netflix in the UK (I know not everybody has access to it, but might be worth a month's sub. It's based on the Patricia Highsmith novel The Talented Mr Ripley, which was a film with Jude Law (and I can't believe I'm saying this) twenty-five years ago.
No spoilers although you probably all have a rough idea of the story. It's filmed in black and white and does have a nice 50s classic noir kind of feel. I'm really enjoying it so far.

April 12, 2024 6:38 pm  #2

Re: Andrew Scott in Ripley on Netflix

I was thinking of checking it out. The reviews seem divisive, from what I've seen, with some people thinking it's great and some people thinking it's not at all. But I'm curious to see Andrew in the role (I've heard good things from friends about the movie version but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet). I was kind of disappointed the review in my newspaper didn't mention his portrayal Moriarty as one of his past roles, considering how the critic described his portrayal of Ripley, but I guess his Fleabag appearance is more well-known these days.

Clueing for looks.

April 12, 2024 8:11 pm  #3

Yes, it's odd: I was watching a review about something he was in recently and the reviewer was trying to remember his name and calling him the "hot priest"! It seems he made more impact in Fleabag than Sherlock!

April 16, 2024 3:23 pm  #4

I guess because Sherlock was a while ago now, which I find hard to grasp at times. Series 4 came out in 2017, which doesn't sound like that long ago but it was 7 years ago!

Clueing for looks.

Yesterday 9:18 am  #5

My brain thinks that anything between 2015-2019 is only 3 years old at MAX, suddenly I remember 2014 is 10 years ago...

Board footera