BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 25, 2017 7:08 pm  #7901

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

@ ewige.See I find that odd, particularly when Benedict seems fairly clear that Sherlock and Irene s----d in Karachi!

Last edited by besleybean (May 25, 2017 7:09 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 25, 2017 7:38 pm  #7902

Yes, if anything it was ASIB (or perhaps my thoughts about it after viewing) that swung me the other way!  Partly because of the choice to do it like that.   The canon story was much more ambiguous - Holmes is clearly fascinating by Irene and admires her, but he's outwitted by her, rather than losing the game through falling for her, I think.   There was a clear choice to go in that direction. It wasn't something that was necessary to follow canon. 

For all we've argued about sexuality being fluid and so on, a choice was made to show Sherlock as attracted to a woman, and only a woman. 

I tend to think that this was more Stephen's choice than Mark's, partly because ASIB is Stephen's episode.  Obviously it was something they agreed on, but in interviews I feel he's more invested in it. 

May 25, 2017 7:44 pm  #7903

Yeah, it's often been said that ASiB is the one thing Steven is the most proud of having written.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 25, 2017 8:10 pm  #7904

besleybean wrote:

@ ewige.See I find that odd, particularly when Benedict seems fairly clear that Sherlock and Irene s----d in Karachi!

Now I'm dying to know what you censored out!

Liberty wrote:

Yes, if anything it was ASIB (or perhaps my thoughts about it after viewing) that swung me the other way!  Partly because of the choice to do it like that.   The canon story was much more ambiguous - Holmes is clearly fascinating by Irene and admires her, but he's outwitted by her, rather than losing the game through falling for her, I think.   There was a clear choice to go in that direction. It wasn't something that was necessary to follow canon. 

But Sherlock almost lost the game not because of falling for Irene but because she was smart enough to "make him dance".
This ep made Sherlock look suddenly more human than I dared hope so it swung me from "cheap gay jokes" to "wait a mo, what exactly is happening here?"

Last edited by ewige (May 25, 2017 8:12 pm)

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

May 25, 2017 8:14 pm  #7905

What was happening was he felt attraction to Irene.
I would have thought you'd worked out the word, but anyway, what Benedict actually said was : a night of passion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 25, 2017 8:19 pm  #7906

Passionately playing chess. Or Operation

May 25, 2017 8:20 pm  #7907

Ha ha.

May 25, 2017 8:20 pm  #7908

Yeah, he's such a gentleman :D

I thought you wouldn't censor anything about sex, would you? It's not like the F word, after all.

-----

May 25, 2017 8:22 pm  #7909

Me? I  get whinged at for breathing, dear! 

May 25, 2017 8:22 pm  #7910

Anyway, since we are talking about unconsummated (unshown, unspoken) romance being the most intriguing one... I think that a night of passion woulf be too pedestrian for Sherlock and Irene both and they'd lose interest in each other afterwards. Her game was about seducing him, wasn't it?

-----

May 25, 2017 8:24 pm  #7911

Well, the hot night in Karachi is nothing more than Ben's own head canon. It was never written and never shot, so we don't really have to see it as anything other than that.

Having that said, if that is his head canon, that means Ben is playing Sherlock as straight. Or at least bi.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

May 25, 2017 8:25 pm  #7912

I think the suggestion was always that Sherlock just tried it once, then 'just texted'.
I am certain that Eurus deduces Sherlock has had sex and I am fairly certain that would be with Irene.

May 25, 2017 8:26 pm  #7913

I remember a story where Sherlock saved Irene in Karachi only to realize that she lured him into a trap and some terrorists were threatening to kill him if Mycroft didn't accept their demands. And Sherlock laughed in her face because really, who'd she play with if they killed him?

-----

May 25, 2017 8:39 pm  #7914

Yes, neither of them really want the other dead, even when they're enemies.  A bit like the Doctor and Missy in Doctor Who (or perhaps not a lot like them, but it's currently airing, so it's on my mind). 

I agree that Benedict plays Sherlock as attracted to Irene.  I think that's clear in interviews.  (I also think it's clear on screen, but I know not everybody sees it!).   And yes, my head canon was always that they didn't have sex, but S4 hints that they did. 

I'm kind of glad that they stuck with Irene as the single, never-to-be love interest throughout.  Sherlock's a soppy old monogamous romantic at heart, I think.

May 25, 2017 8:40 pm  #7915

Yes, Eurus' deduction made me think of Karachi. But maybe Sherlock just followed John's suggestion and made out a date with Irene, some time between preparations to freak our Mycroft.

May 25, 2017 8:46 pm  #7916

If I were Irene (and I almost am! Russian names, ha!), I'd never have really slept with Sherlock because that would diminish the fun. It's the chase and the evasion that's interesting in their case, don't you think?

In case with Sherlock and John (to come back on topic), a physical relationship would merely uncover a different aspect of their loving relationship.

-----

May 25, 2017 8:55 pm  #7917

I am so divided in this. In my head canon, it's Johnlock beyond anything.

But what I see on screen, and what I love to see on screen, is an unwanted and perhaps a bit scary, physical attraction from Sherlock to Irene. She hits him in the one spot where he doesn't have any confidence - sexuality.

Team Hudders!

May 25, 2017 10:24 pm  #7918

Vhanja wrote:

I am so divided in this. In my head canon, it's Johnlock beyond anything.

But what I see on screen, and what I love to see on screen, is an unwanted and perhaps a bit scary, physical attraction from Sherlock to Irene. She hits him in the one spot where he doesn't have any confidence - sexuality.

I am dead sure he is attracted to her intellect, not her gender.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 26, 2017 5:55 am  #7919

I would have hoped for this, but Benedict and Steven do seem to think otherwise.
I don't think it's her intellect he gets all misty eyed about, while gazing out of the rainy window

May 26, 2017 6:02 am  #7920

Schmiezi wrote:

I am dead sure he is attracted to her intellect, not her gender.

But that's true of anyone, I think.    Men are my "preferred" sex, but I'm not attracted to all men, and certainly not attracted to people just because they are male.   There has to be something else there!  And I'm sure I'm not alone in being attracted to intellect amongst other non-gender-specific qualities!

Now I've always said Sherlock is more ambiguous than John, because showing an attraction to one woman allows for a whole range of possibilities (generally asexual person whose interest is sparked by a particular person, gay man who has a connection with a single woman, bisexual, etc.).  However, in terms of the story-telling, it's in my mind that they did show an attraction to one woman, and they have been consistent with that throughout the show.  (Well, they did suggest an attraction to another woman in TAB, but throughout, Irene has been the representation of sex/romance for Sherlock).

I don't think it matters what Sherlock's sexual orientation is beyond the fact that I think it makes the friendship story more straightforward if he's not particularly attracted to men - and so not attracted to John in that way.   I remember Steven's comment about him not choosing to live with somebody he was attracted to.   He keeps Irene very much at more than arm's length, but he's not afraid of being close to John at all. 

(Edited to add the quote I'm replying to!  I'm a bit slow with my replies and it ends up looking as if I'm responding to something else!)

Last edited by Liberty (May 26, 2017 7:34 am)

Board footera