BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 16, 2017 6:19 pm  #7821

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

Just as well BBC Sherlock is my favourite representation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 16, 2017 6:24 pm  #7822

besleybean wrote:

You really hate not having the last word, don't you? ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 16, 2017 6:25 pm  #7823

I just answer other peoples posts...thought that's what the board was all about!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 16, 2017 6:27 pm  #7824

besleybean wrote:

I really do not understand this answer in relation to my post. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 16, 2017 7:04 pm  #7825

Because obviously they did want a strong representation of Mary.
Their choice and their right.

May 16, 2017 7:18 pm  #7826

besleybean wrote:

Because obviously they did want a strong representation of Mary.
Their choice and their right.

Why are you always stressing that it's their right to do so? Of course it is their right. It's their show. As well as it is for example my right to dislike the non conclusive way they wrote her from charming sweet nurse to egoistic smart-alec.

I do have that right, don't I?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 16, 2017 8:16 pm  #7827

Of course.
I'm not the one questioning peoples posts!

May 17, 2017 2:59 am  #7828

SusiGo wrote:

Of one thing I am very, very sure - that there have been very few Sherlock Holmes scholars and fans over the last 130 years who wished for more representation of Mrs Mary Watson. I cannot remember a single one, tbh. 

Is there a source about how Strand readers reacted to her introduction and later to her disappearing?

May 17, 2017 7:15 am  #7829

Maybe there is but I am not enough of a Holmes scholar to know about it. What I know is that there is and has been an extensive discussion about the "six wives" of Watson. ACD has been very inconsistent in his writing of Watson's marriage and the character of wife which to me proves that they were not very important to him. He used every trick to have married Watson still spend time with Holmes. Make of that what you will. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 17, 2017 7:37 am  #7830

Well, you could say that by giving Mary an inconsistent character Mofftiss stayed true to canon. ;-)

May 17, 2017 7:45 am  #7831

Oh, this is a very good point! So in the end she is Canon after all. 

May 17, 2017 4:03 pm  #7832

She certainly appears in mine!

May 17, 2017 5:04 pm  #7833

besleybean wrote:

She certainly appears in mine!

You are having your own canon? Isn't that like the opposite of "canon"? Or did I get the word wrong?

May 17, 2017 5:06 pm  #7834

No, I was unclear.
I meant she's in my copy of the Canon.

May 17, 2017 5:15 pm  #7835

Ah thanks. But I think you'very got Susi's and my comments wrong. We meant (half jokingly) that BBC Mary is as inconsistent as canon Mary and therefore, somehow, BBC Mary fits canon even though she is that smart-alec sweet super heroine good wife mingle-mangle.

May 17, 2017 5:15 pm  #7836

I'm happy with both.

May 17, 2017 5:35 pm  #7837

Let's continue this over at the Mary thread. One moment please...

May 18, 2017 10:32 am  #7838

May 18, 2017 2:13 pm  #7839

LOL!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 18, 2017 4:11 pm  #7840

A lovely story, well-told!

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

Board footera