BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2017 8:30 pm  #1

So what's in the note?

Isn't it odd that John writes Sherlock a note instead of a text, as usual?

A note has a personal touch and can be longer (altho the the folded piece of paper didn't look like much at all).
A note can not be traced whereas a text is basically a free for all in Sherlock's world.
A note can come from somebody else, like Mary or the Redhead; however, the Redhead's note wasn't folded and had a ripped corner in both versions. That could be even Sherlock's own waltz if Molly didn't say "You don't have to read it now".

Molly apparently knows what's in it so it can't be too personal.
John's mobile buzzes (Sherlock or Redhead?) but he can't bear thinking about texting again, so maybe this is why he lets Shrlock come the whole way to his house just to rely a note and a message?

Before the scene with the note, Ella tells Sherlock almost playfully: "It's a two-way relationship, you know". I don't think she's flirting with a patient (no need for such playfulness if she only wants Sherlock to spill the beans; that wouldn't be "two-way" anyway because she's not telling him about her life either!). She's referring to John and Sherlock's relationship, meaning that Sherlock can't succeed alone without John's effort.

Maybe the note is John's effort of sorts - as much effort as he's capable of at the moment? I'd like to think that John asks Sherlock to give him time and space to grieve but that doesn't fit with his spoken message. Sherlock is simply numb and not agitated in the cab so the note could hold a similar message - leave me alone and never come back, or something like that, but why rely a similar message thru Molly then?

Or is John pushing Sherlock away because he's being watched (like Sherlock in TRF)?? Maybe he's setting something up for Smith?

What so you think?

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 4, 2017 8:41 pm  #2

Re: So what's in the note?

My first theory about the content of this note was: two pages full of expletives.....?

But it´s very arcanely filmed so who knows? 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 4, 2017 8:48 pm  #3

Haha, "very arcanely filmed" indeed!
I think it's significant that it's a note on a sheet of paper. The other one we saw in this ep contained a phone number. Maybe this one does too? And Molly's in on the secret and urges Sherlock to look at it in private where nobody can see him?

Last edited by ewige (January 4, 2017 8:49 pm)

-----

January 4, 2017 8:50 pm  #4

John might have learned that Sherlock had been deleting his texts.
He might also just wanted Molly to have something to give to Sherlock.
Remember the instruction was : if Sherlock turns up here...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 4, 2017 8:56 pm  #5

There was also a third note in the episode which contained a drug which knocked Sherlock out.   Not that I think that's what's happening here - I don't think Molly would pass on that sort of note, or that John would take the risk of her opening it! 

I think we'll find out in a few days .  I think it will be the start of the next case, perhaps. 

January 4, 2017 9:02 pm  #6

Good point about Sherlock deleting John's texts! O.o Altho I do hope he stopped deleting texts after their fall-out...

I wasn't sure whether to count Mary's note as a note since there was actually nothing written on it.
But now that you mention it, Mary left a note for John too.

So we have one romantic note with a phone number.
One note where Mary explains her actions.
And one badass assassin!Mary note.
I fail to extrapolate anything logical for the fourth note from that :o

I really hope we'll be told what's in the note! Else it will end up as angst fodder for johnlock fanfiction.

Last edited by ewige (January 4, 2017 9:02 pm)

-----

January 4, 2017 9:09 pm  #7

I wonder what could be in the note that he wouldn't/couldn't have Molly pass on with his other message. I guess it could be a very long note so it was easier to write it all down. I hope we do get to see what was in it!

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 4, 2017 9:09 pm  #8

Have people seen the meme going around on Twitter?
Jim targets Molly and leaves Sherlock his number.
Bus lady targets John and leaves him her number.
Remember Molly later said Jim wasn't really her boyfriend, they only went out a few times and she ended it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 6, 2017 3:09 pm  #9

besleybean wrote:

He might also just wanted Molly to have something to give to Sherlock.
Remember the instruction was : if Sherlock turns up here...

What for?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 6, 2017 5:00 pm  #10

Just to make it clear that he doesn't want him to come around anymore!

January 6, 2017 5:20 pm  #11

I don't think we know the truth until the final problem. What's happened between them all will be explained then. They did say this time was a set of three with a thread running through.
I don't think John cheated I think Sherlock sent the woman with the note on the bus ,  so probably even if we read the note on Sunday we won't understand untill then.
Maybe not even then

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 6, 2017 5:28 pm  #12

Why would Sherlock send the woman?

January 6, 2017 5:39 pm  #13

Headline on the newspaper said about the man being in two places at the same time.
She knows Sherlock and is giving John an alibi maybe. Or just passing a note that is secret .

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 6, 2017 5:39 pm)

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 6, 2017 5:41 pm  #14

Why does John need an alibi?

January 6, 2017 6:11 pm  #15

besleybean wrote:

Why does John need an alibi?

Good question. I remember a pic with what looked like Sherlock's hand writing, saying something about John's alibi.

Can't remember where it was from...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 6, 2017 6:13 pm  #16

Yes, I saw it too.
And didn't get an explanation then, as to why he'd need an alibi, either!

And anyway, how would it even work as an alibi?
The lady would have to be prepared to say that yes she saw John on the bus and what if she wasn't prepared to?

Last edited by besleybean (January 6, 2017 6:15 pm)

January 6, 2017 6:48 pm  #17

Just to clarify: did Sherlock actually delete John's texts? About bus stop lady? Where is that at in the episode? It just sounds from the way that you guys are phrasing it that Sherlock's been deleting the text messages between Elizabeth and John.

The eyes are the mirror of the soul

#sherlollyforever

January 6, 2017 6:55 pm  #18

i'm-so-cHAngeAbLE wrote:

Just to clarify: did Sherlock actually delete John's texts? About bus stop lady? Where is that at in the episode? It just sounds from the way that you guys are phrasing it that Sherlock's been deleting the text messages between Elizabeth and John.

During the Christening, Sherlock says that he deletes John's text messages, because he deletes all messages that starts with "Hi".

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 6, 2017 10:19 pm  #19

I do not think Sherlock deleted the text between John and E, but the texts that John has send to him, because John stated his texts with "Hi"

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 6, 2017 10:20 pm  #20

Quite so.

Board footera