BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 17, 2016 4:40 pm  #1

These "series 4 is the last" rumours

He denies that anyone said it's the last series but he says "you have to see series 4 to realise why it's not gonna happen again in the same regularity." 

I was never worried that there wouldn't be a series 5. But I feared changes in the regularity.

Last edited by Ivy (October 17, 2016 4:42 pm)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

October 17, 2016 4:47 pm  #2

Re: These "series 4 is the last" rumours

Wow, that statement there baffles me even more than if he had said it would be the last one. I can't wrap my head around anything that could happen within the show that would explain "why it's not gonna happen again in the same regularity". 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

October 17, 2016 4:56 pm  #3

Wow, that sounds irritating... 
I think that is not "only" some major character death. That sounds truly more like something like for example John or Sherlock are just mind palace or something....

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

October 17, 2016 4:57 pm  #4

mrshouse wrote:

Wow, that sounds irritating...
I think that is not "only" some major character death. That sounds truly more like something like for example John or Sherlock are just mind palace or something....

Please god no..................................
I'm still hanging on to the fact that the creators said they have S5 mapped out.  I don't think they would do anything to to entirely bizaar. 

Last edited by tonnaree (October 17, 2016 5:00 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 17, 2016 4:59 pm  #5

I don't think Sherlock or John being just mind palace would be "dreams coming true" for Moftiss. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

October 17, 2016 5:12 pm  #6

Vhanja wrote:

I don't think Sherlock or John being just mind palace would be "dreams coming true" for Moftiss. 

Yeah, you have a point there. Still... I try to imagine a story line that is so hard to pick up again? I mean, in S3 we already went on from the scheme "baddy of the week", didn't we? Maybe -alas- it has to do with Sherley Watson and the difficulty is just scheduling according to the child growing and developing stuff.

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

October 17, 2016 5:13 pm  #7

That really can't be the reason. I can never imagine Moftiss allowing something like that to clog it up. They could just, for instance, send the child away to bording school for next season (making it much easier on themselves).

Team Hudders!

October 17, 2016 5:16 pm  #8

I know, but what COULD it be??

October 17, 2016 5:17 pm  #9

I'm stumped. I got nothing.

Last edited by Vhanja (October 17, 2016 5:17 pm)

Team Hudders!

October 17, 2016 5:21 pm  #10

It also cannot be the old "harder and harder to schedule Ben and Martin" because that has nothing to do with the storyline....

October 17, 2016 5:22 pm  #11

No, he clearly said that we would have to watch S4 to get it. So it has to be something within the show itself. I can't even wrap my head around the idea of it. He probably worded himself a bit oddly.

Team Hudders!

October 17, 2016 5:38 pm  #12

Yes, some of his other comments hinted at it being something monumental, something ending, and something "difficult to move on from".   I'm not worried - as you say, this is clearly not about organising people's schedules, but about something that happens in the show, at the end of S4.

I'm absolutely intrigued and quite excited.  I agree that it's not as simple as a character death, although that could be involved.   It could be something like jumping quite far ahead in time, for example, to when Sherlock is in his 50s or 60s (or even way back into the past, changing everything we know).  (Setlock might be relevant, but I don't want to discuss that in a non-spoiler thread!  In fact, it might be fun to have this discussion in a spoiler thread too!). 

Anyway, I'm sure Moftiss do have a plan about how to move on from the end of S4, but of course they're not going to tell us, and perhaps they haven't told Benedict yet either.   This only makes me more excited!  I have a feeling this may be connected to the "groundbreaking" "television history" element that was talked about.

Last edited by Liberty (October 17, 2016 5:43 pm)

October 17, 2016 5:53 pm  #13

Liberty wrote:

It could be something like jumping quite far ahead in time, for example, to when Sherlock is in his 50s or 60s

My thought exactly. They all have said in the past that they would like to continue doing the show for as long as possible, to see Sherlock and John grow old together. Well, the only really believable way of doing this is to have Benedict and Martin grow old. This would be so much better than make-up. I have no idea if casual viewers would be on board with this... then again, Mofftiss never really gave a f*** about the casual viewer.
And I'm sure we can all agree that this would indeed be groundbreaking.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 17, 2016 6:14 pm  #14

But aging characters with make-up isn't groundbreaking? That has been done countless times before. And having them actually age together, making the series of the next couple of decades wouldn't be something for S4 (as that is the season they say is groundbreaking).

Team Hudders!

October 17, 2016 6:23 pm  #15

Liberty wrote:

Anyway, I'm sure Moftiss do have a plan about how to move on from the end of S4, but of course they're not going to tell us, and perhaps they haven't told Benedict yet either.   This only makes me more excited!  I have a feeling this may be connected to the "groundbreaking" "television history" element that was talked about.

Well, you know they only give Benedict limited information because he is such a horrible fibber. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 17, 2016 6:26 pm  #16

tonnaree wrote:

Well, you know they only give Benedict limited information because he is such a horrible fibber. 

Fans going:

"Fibbing, Ben." 

Team Hudders!

October 17, 2016 6:34 pm  #17

Vhanja wrote:

But aging characters with make-up isn't groundbreaking? That has been done countless times before. And having them actually age together, making the series of the next couple of decades wouldn't be something for S4 (as that is the season they say is groundbreaking).

And I didn't say that using make-up is groundbreaking. Having the actors actually age would be though. And if they introduce this in S4, I'd say you could say that something groundbreaking has happened in S4.
But of course everyone has his/her own idea about what can be called groundbreaking and what can't.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

October 17, 2016 6:51 pm  #18

I do agree that having them age with the characters would be groundbreaking (although Harry Potter has already done that, this would be a bit different). I just don't see how that can be done in one season when you need decades for it.

Team Hudders!

October 17, 2016 6:51 pm  #19

I'm glad he's denied it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 17, 2016 7:17 pm  #20

Vhanja wrote:

I do agree that having them age with the characters would be groundbreaking (although Harry Potter has already done that, this would be a bit different). I just don't see how that can be done in one season when you need decades for it.

Well, of course you can't do this in one season. But you can prepare the audience for this at the end of the season, you can hint at it. You can have a last shot which tells the audience something like "Seven years later" and which shows the audience the backs of two men who can be identified as Sherlock and John, but you can't see their faces. Just to give one example. If they wanna do this, it can be done, that's how I see it. And of course you are right, the full impact would not come immediately but years later, when S5 airs. Nevertheless, in retrospect it would be a pretty unique thing.

Board footera