BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 28, 2016 6:13 pm  #561

Re: Fanfics from forum members

In general, the rule for commas goes like this:

He said, "Hello."
^ When you're putting text in front like this, you use a comma followed by a capital letter.

"Hello," he said.
^ When the text comes after, you end the dialog - even if it is a complete sentence - with a comma, and a lowercase letter.

"Ah, Mycroft. I should have guessed," he said, raising a sardonic eyebrow, "That you'd arrive in time for lunch."
^ When dialog is split between a piece of text like this and the same sentence continues afterwards, you use commas until the completion of the spoken sentence. Also, the continued piece of dialog begins with a capital letter, even though it's technically in the middle of the sentence being spoken. I know, it's weird, but that's apparently how it goes!

I don't have a perfect grasp of the rules myself, but these are the bits I've committed to muscle-memory.

Edit: Also, the punctuation also goes inside the quotation marks, not outside them. The exception to this is when you're using quotation marks to surround a name or term being described as part of the narration (i.e. not dialog).

So like this:

Some people refer to them as "scare quotes". <-- Fullstop outside of the "
"They're called 'scare quotes'." <-- It's part of dialog, so it goes inside the "

Last edited by GimmeCat (September 28, 2016 6:16 pm)

Doomsteady on AO3 & Tumblr

September 28, 2016 6:20 pm  #562

Really?
Well as a native speaker and writer, who prides herself on her language skills...this is news to me!
The only one I knew about, was when the text follows the dialogue.
I tend to look at novels and see what they do.
But I don't think they all follow the rules!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 28, 2016 7:35 pm  #563

Wow. I didn't even learn the punctuation rules for my native language (growing up in school they changed the comma rules 6 times and we kept having to start over... these days I mainly put them where they sound right, but yeah)

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (September 28, 2016 7:35 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

September 28, 2016 8:36 pm  #564

Thank you, Gimme, that was really helpful. I've edited my fic accordingly.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

September 29, 2016 4:02 am  #565

It's worth noting that there may be differences between US and UK standards, and to be honest, I have no idea whether what I've learned is the US or UK way.

Also, according to this (and reiterated here) you don't have to capitalise the dialog after a split. I was under the impression you had to, but apparently it's a stylistic choice and more to do with whether you want to split the dialog into two sentences. I just always do that.

September 29, 2016 5:53 am  #566

I am so glad it's a choice, as I think it' hideous and certainly won't be doing it!
Who would put a capital in the middle of a sentence?!
But anyway, thank you for going to the trouble of doing all of this research for us and it may possibly explain why even famous writers don't seem to always follow the rules!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 1, 2016 2:05 am  #567

As they say, rules are meant to be broken.

October 1, 2016 7:38 am  #568

Yes and to be fair, it's probably the duty of a writer to do so!

October 6, 2016 4:49 am  #569

Wow, I got 100 kudos on my first Johnlock fic! 😃

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

October 6, 2016 5:16 am  #570

Well deserved too! I look forward to reading your second one as soon as my head is a bit better!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 6, 2016 7:55 am  #571

Vhanja wrote:

Wow, I got 100 kudos on my first Johnlock fic! 😃

That's a great feeling, isn't it? Congrats! :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 6, 2016 9:49 pm  #572

Congrats! I got about the same for my first one-shot. It's even better when someone leaves a lovely comment, isn't it? It's validating to know people are really engaging with it.

October 7, 2016 6:51 am  #573

Thanks, guys! Yeah, it really is.

And Phantom - read it at your own pace. Or not at all. It's not an obligation.

Team Hudders!

October 11, 2016 11:33 pm  #574

I just got the nicest comment I've ever had! Someone said The Cat & The Fox is becoming their favourite fanfic. I can't even express how stupidly happy it made me to read something like that, especially after struggling with a few recent chapters. It's nice enough that anybody spends their time reading it at all. Comments like that make the whole effort worth it.

October 12, 2016 4:01 pm  #575

Comments like that just means so much! 

Someone listed 'Whipped' as inspiration to their new fic, wowzer. I still can't believe how popular that one got. When I started it I honestly thought no one would ever read that. 

(btw Vhanja I still haven't forgotten yours! I think of it daily even, but I want and need a clear head to enjoy it and leave some feedback!) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

October 12, 2016 4:05 pm  #576

That is awesome, both you guys! It's such a motivation with feedback like that!

And I haven't forgotten you guys either. Just need to get this last fic out of the system, and then I'm ready to start reading yours as well. 

Team Hudders!

October 15, 2016 4:13 pm  #577

So this happened last night (and today...) I had a song on replay and ended up writing this... when I was supposed to work on 'Just Say Yes'... 

Sherlock: The Lost Boy

AO3 I FF.net

During a case Sherlock finds himself in a place he thought he should never return to and it triggers some horrible memories of his time at the boarding school and that night Sebastian broke his trust and threw him to the wolves. 

Please read the tags and be aware that this is a pretty hardcore piece even from me. A lot of the language physically hurt to write, and does not reflect upon any of my opinions or feelings; quite contrary.

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (October 15, 2016 4:13 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

October 15, 2016 4:27 pm  #578

Finally got around to reading one of yours, Phantom. Left kuds and a comment (and can't help thinking about the movie The Lost Boys when I read the title).

Team Hudders!

October 15, 2016 4:36 pm  #579

Thank you so much Vhanja! 

The story was inspired by Ruth B's song 'Lost Boy'... especially these parts of the lyrics:

"There was a time when I was alone
Nowhere to go and no place to call home
My only friend was the man in the moon
And even sometimes he would go away, tooThen one night, as I closed my eyes
I saw a shadow flying high
He came to me with the sweetest smile
Told me he wanted to talk for awhile
He said, "Peter Pan, that's what they call me
I promise that you'll never be lonely, " and ever since that day"

and: 

"
He sprinkled me in pixie dust and told me to believe
Believe in him and believe in me
Together we will fly away in a cloud of green
To your beautiful destiny
As we soared above the town that never loved meI realized I finally had a family
Soon enough we reached Neverland
Peacefully my feet hit the sand
And ever since that day..."

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (October 15, 2016 4:37 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

October 15, 2016 4:38 pm  #580

Lovely lyrics!

Team Hudders!

Board footera