BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 24, 2016 6:28 am  #4421

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

There is nothing definite so far on the subject. We cannot rely on what the Sherlock team says since it has changed more than once and the writers have openly admitted that they often do not tell the truth. Steven said Sherlock is neither straight nor gay, Benedict was baffled when asexual people congratulated him on representing them. I prefer to watch the show and draw my conclusions. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 24, 2016 6:30 am  #4422

Both Steven and Benedict have said they felt Sherlock was attracted to Irene and not to John.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 24, 2016 6:34 am  #4423

It's not a question of John not putting Sherlock first: everything Sherlock does and says seems to indicate that he cares for Mary and that he wants John and Mary to be back together.   Sherlock wants John to be with Mary (without flashbacks, other scenes, etc.).     As I said in the JL debate thread, I think that if John was in love with Sherlock it would be too difficult for him to take Mary back.  But if he loves Sherlock as a friend, it's different - he takes Mary back because in the end, he loves her and she's unique, and I think he recognises a bit of the truth in what Sherlock says about why he fell for her and nobody else.  (Even though I think it's a completely unfair point, as there was nothing conscious on John's part!).   And Sherlock tries to make him see that and supports them getting back together. 

(It's funny, but I'd have thought it was Sherlock who would need the exotic, unique, exciting partner, were he to have one, whereas John just needed somebody nice.   In fact, it could be the other way around).

August 24, 2016 7:03 am  #4424

besleybean wrote:

Both Steven and Benedict have said they felt Sherlock was attracted to Irene and not to John.

Audience Question 3: My question is what do you think of the relationship between John Watson and your character?

Lara Pulver: I had an incredible time working with Martin and his character, purely as I kind of got in the way, actually, of what is this very happy couple.

http://www.sherlockology.com/news/2015/6/24/sherlocked-ladies-of-sherlock-transcript-240615

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 24, 2016 7:07 am  #4425

Well, it's true, and that's partly because Sherlock is attracted to her, and shuts John out. 

As for what Steven said, it depends how you interpret it, but I took it as saying that he's not straight or gay in the show - that's not a driving part of his character or the story, and he's shown as avoiding the whole thing.   However, they do show him as attracted to people/women in ASIB and possibly TAB - he does have a sex drive. 

Last edited by Liberty (August 24, 2016 7:10 am)

August 24, 2016 7:11 am  #4426

besleybean wrote:

John would kill for Sherlock, but this doesn't stop him loving Mary.
If Sherlock loves John that way, why the heck didn't he just ask him out?
If the team were making an episode about love, why choose Irene?

He did ask him out, but John didn´t understand or pretended not to:

Sherlock: I need to get some air; we're going out tonight.

John: Actually, I've got a date.

Sherlock: What?

John: It's when two people who like each other go out and have fun...

Sherlock: That's what I was suggesting.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 24, 2016 9:12 am  #4427

August 24, 2016 9:28 am  #4428

Yes, that is what struck me about TAB as well. In fact, in his Sherlock's MP Mary betrays nearly everyone - Mycroft by admitting to the cooperation with him, Sherlock by spying on him for his brother, the women by giving away their meeting place. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 24, 2016 12:19 pm  #4429

I also think when they see the final ghost in TAB they are talking about Mary.
It cant be real and but I saw it from John - answered with it's not real (a facade ) you (John) only saw what you were meant to see from Sherlock is about how John and Sherlock were fooled by her.Then when the bride Moriarty is revealed ..we don't have fancy outfits we don't have guns..etc again fits Mary very well . All things we have been discussing ourselves here about Mary - who is she really , why does she still have the outfit and the gun  etc

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (August 24, 2016 12:20 pm)

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

August 24, 2016 2:57 pm  #4430

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, that is what struck me about TAB as well. In fact, in his Sherlock's MP Mary betrays nearly everyone - Mycroft by admitting to the cooperation with him, Sherlock by spying on him for his brother, the women by giving away their meeting place. 

That's true. I suspect S4 to show us more betrayal by her. Wonder what she will do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 24, 2016 4:02 pm  #4431

I hope she does quite the opposite.
Possibly dies trying to defend the boys.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 24, 2016 5:10 pm  #4432

nakahara wrote:

besleybean wrote:

John would kill for Sherlock, but this doesn't stop him loving Mary.
If Sherlock loves John that way, why the heck didn't he just ask him out?
If the team were making an episode about love, why choose Irene?

He did ask him out, but John didn´t understand or pretended not to:

Sherlock: I need to get some air; we're going out tonight.

John: Actually, I've got a date.

Sherlock: What?

John: It's when two people who like each other go out and have fun...

Sherlock: That's what I was suggesting.

I don't think he did at all.  I think it was always the plan to go to the Chinese Circus, with John, for the case (and for the adventure).   Two people who like each other going out and having fun.   As it is, he manouvres the situation so that he and John go anyway.  But I think it's clear that he's not "asking him out", and John doesn't take it that way.  

August 24, 2016 5:13 pm  #4433

John clearly states he hopes he is not being asked out on a date.
Sherlock is merely pointing out that what John described could equally describe going out for afternoon tea with your mother!
Do people really think this is asking someone out for a date?
Is there a translation issue here?
Because it does not mean that in English, at all.

August 24, 2016 5:26 pm  #4434

About Mary, above, well she is supposed to be a secret agent, a double agent, who has presumably worked for more than one "employer".  Her MO is deceit, in that sense.    But in TAB, she doesn't actually betray Sherlock, and helps him solve the case.  Mixed messages indeed.  As ever, with Mary, I think we need more data. 

August 24, 2016 5:38 pm  #4435

Liberty wrote:

About Mary, above, well she is supposed to be a secret agent, a double agent, who has presumably worked for more than one "employer".  Her MO is deceit, in that sense.    But in TAB, she doesn't actually betray Sherlock, and helps him solve the case.  Mixed messages indeed.  As ever, with Mary, I think we need more data. 

Sorry, what does "MO" mean?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 24, 2016 5:42 pm  #4436

modus operandi...how she works.

August 24, 2016 5:50 pm  #4437

Thanks.

In TAB she does not betray Sherlock, she "only" calls him stupid. In real life, she betrays him by, well, shooting him.

Both is not really nice, right?

Bit the more important question is why does Sherlock imagine Mary calling him stupid?

August 24, 2016 5:52 pm  #4438

I thought she was quoting Mycroft?

August 24, 2016 5:55 pm  #4439

besleybean wrote:

I thought she was quoting Mycroft?

Anyway, Sherlock imagines her saying it into his face. Why?

August 24, 2016 5:56 pm  #4440

Same reason Irene said: 'The ice man and the virgin''?

Board footera