BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 29, 2016 12:09 pm  #301

Re: Mark Gatiss & Steven Moffat Tweets

Yes, it's a common trope and not inherently romantic...

But anyway, Doyle did bring their adventures to an end. Holmes retires to Sussex and keeps bees. Without Watson.

Edit: of course it could be seen as romantic as in "idealised" or "picturesque", but I meant that it wasn't necessarily to do with amorous love.

Last edited by ukaunz (July 29, 2016 12:18 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 29, 2016 12:32 pm  #302

Uh... and Mary Morstan dies before Sherlock Holmes comes back from his "Reichenbach leave" in the Canon...

Also, some old lady and not Sherlock shoots Milverton...

Etc., etc.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 29, 2016 12:40 pm  #303

I was just responding to the bit where Gatiss says "Doyle doesn’t bring them to an end, and every great version ends with them walking off into the sunset for other adventures." I personally hope this version doesn't end with Sherlock retiring alone, either.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 29, 2016 12:45 pm  #304

Well, chronologically "His last bow" is their last adventure - it takes place after Sherlock´s "retirement". Sherlock discloses that he was active for two years in America, infiltrating some illegal organisation to earn trust of German spy in the UK. He then subdues the spy with the help of Watson and some elder lady, "Martha". And they ride into the sunset, musing about an "eastern wind"...

Last edited by nakahara (July 29, 2016 12:46 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 29, 2016 12:53 pm  #305

Oh, I was thinking of the other retirement stories, such as the Lion's Mane. I'm not familiar with the correct chronology, so that's good to know

July 29, 2016 1:58 pm  #306

I love The Lion's Mane.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 29, 2016 5:29 pm  #307

I think some of the stuff is getting quite mean.  If you watch the video and read the Guardian article, there are differences between them - why don't people just look at those and try to work out what he means?   The gist of it is the same (that he loves the film, that it has that melancholy element, etc.), but he's saying that the Guardian report isn't accurate and it seems that tumblr thinks he must be lying or mistaken.  We all know that the media tends to misreport - maybe not always in a big way.   But I can see somebody has done a summary of what he said, then a little bit that's supposedly "verbatim" - the verbatim piece seems superficially accurate (that scene does exist in the film, and I personally feel it does imply that Sherlock is gay), but maybe Mark's objection is to the focus being on that.  Or perhaps there are some actual errors - something else was "desparately unspoken", for instance.

July 29, 2016 5:34 pm  #308

LOL I'd totally buy their album.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

July 29, 2016 5:45 pm  #309

Lol so would I :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

July 29, 2016 8:35 pm  #310

Oh my gosh, I love that!      Erf, but man... some of the ways things get tweaked in interviews (or unfortunately by the person, considering everything those guys try to hide or teasingly side-step)...

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

July 29, 2016 9:01 pm  #311

Lol, what an awesome pic! :D

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 29, 2016 9:08 pm  #312

Since their album is called "Sauerkraut" I'm hoping for an extensive tour throughout Germany.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 29, 2016 9:21 pm  #313

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

July 29, 2016 9:32 pm  #314

LOL, that's awesome! 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

July 30, 2016 7:04 pm  #315

Love the album cover!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 30, 2016 9:31 pm  #316

SolarSystem wrote:

...and this is why I love the Sherlock fandom:
http://redscharlach.tumblr.com/post/148163020741/with-apologies-to-mark-gatiss-heres-that

haha, great. I hope someone sends him that

----------

July 31, 2016 8:37 am  #317

Team Hudders!

July 31, 2016 9:45 am  #318

This is getting out of hand.

July 31, 2016 9:49 am  #319

Even better!

August 1, 2016 4:11 pm  #320

Sue has seen it 

----------

Board footera