BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 27, 2016 6:29 pm  #1901

Re: Johnlock Fic Recs *warning - adult content*

Seems very interesting and worth checking out. Thank you for a good reading tip. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 27, 2016 11:17 pm  #1902

Oh Vhanja, I don't know whether to kiss you or curse you.    I've been dying for a good new Johnlock read and here it is! But I have so little time these days due to work.  The temptation will be great to totally indulge myself and let everything else go to hell.  I'll have to be really strong and allow myself just a little bit every day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 28, 2016 5:12 am  #1903

I hope you guys enjoy it! 

And Keeper - you're welcome. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 30, 2016 1:30 am  #1904

I started this Johnlock fic rec list almost 4 years ago, and to date it's had 230,000+ hits. Unbelievable. I couldn't help noticing that the non-slash fic rec list has had 10,430; I don't know how old that list is.  I can only conclude that it certainly seems as if the idea of John and Sherlock in something other than a simple partnership/friendship is an idea that the fans on this forum find interesting! I know no one reading this is surprised, of course.

June 30, 2016 7:13 am  #1905

This is true, ancientsgate. And after having read hundreds of fics by now I can confirm that the best writers are those writing Johnlock. Some of them are brilliant and write better than many published authors. My explanation is that the Johnlock element is so intriguing and central to the show that it draws more and better writers, that is surely continues to inspire and fascinate writers and readers alike more than the pure friendship version. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 30, 2016 12:13 pm  #1906

What Susi said. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 1, 2016 9:17 am  #1907

Don't forget our Midyear Fic Exchange happening over here, there will be at least a few Johnlock stories
(Check out Starry Night, Oil on Canvas, June 1889, Insomnia, and Sick Leave so far...)

Last edited by ukaunz (July 1, 2016 9:18 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 1, 2016 2:29 pm  #1908

psssssst!  Susi!     Victorian Johnlock!

His Name is John Watson
http://archiveofourown.org/works/7346824/chapters/16688920

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

July 1, 2016 2:32 pm  #1909

And downloaded! Thanks, tonnaree. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 1, 2016 2:35 pm  #1910

I'm here for you dear.  

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

July 3, 2016 8:42 pm  #1911

Vhanja wrote:

I have just read an amazing Johnlock story that I wanted to share - and highly recommend:

A Diseased Fancy by J_Baillier

Author's summary: It has been two years since John's marriage had fallen apart and he had moved back to Baker Street. Things between him and Sherlock are still very much undefined, and John is certain that he'll have plenty of time to figure it all out. This notion proves dangerously false: strange things are set in motion when Sherlock's long-lost “acquaintance” from university appears on their doorstep and a baffling burglary case frustrates Sherlock to no end. What is behind Sherlock's black moods and dwindling health? Where is Mycroft? Why would someone steal artefacts from the British Museum that have interested nary a soul for decades?In the midst of this thickening fog stands John, who will soon have to take on an enemy much greater than even Moriarty.

This story turned out to have a much greater scope than I had ever imagined. It contains supernatural elements, greatly inspried by Lovecraft's universe. The story starts out as a romantic drama and ends as an epic horror story. It was much more than I expected, and I couldn't put it down. I read it on the lunch break at work, in the coffee break - I even stopped by the grocery store on the way home just to buy some pre-heated dinner I could eat in the car while reading some more. I just couldn't put it away!

I absolutely agree, Vhanja, this is a gem of a fanfic. Brilliant storytelling, wonderful characters. I used to read Lovecraft as a teenager and this is an excellent nod his literary universe. 

July 3, 2016 8:55 pm  #1912

I started reading it and then stopped to finally read Lovecraft. This is one of the highest praises I can give to a piece of art, it made me interested in its background. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 3, 2016 9:10 pm  #1913

You guys have piqued my interest, but like Schmiezi I thought I should start with Lovecraft himself. I found a free download of his complete works, if anyone else wants it you can get it here:
http://arkhamarchivist.com/free-complete-lovecraft-ebook-nook-kindle/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 20, 2016 1:15 pm  #1914

Gawd, my heart is still bursting from all the feels...
Read "Unfinished letters" by silentauror NOW!
http://archiveofourown.org/works/6541750?view_adult=true

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

July 20, 2016 2:19 pm  #1915

I checked it and I love it already.
Now I know how I will spend the evening....

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 20, 2016 6:18 pm  #1916

*bookmarked* Thanks for that, I needed some new Johnlock fic.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

July 20, 2016 6:28 pm  #1917

I must admit that I did not like it too much. But if you liked the last few fics by SilentAuror, you will surely like this one as well. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 25, 2016 8:22 pm  #1918

Nothing is as intriguing as a fic with different opinions. So when I read that Schmiezi didn't really like "Unfinished letters", I became even more interested. Nothing more fun than something with divided opinions - made me curious of what "side" I would land on.

And my conclusion is that I really enjoyed the fic, but I can see why some might not like it. I did feature some bits that I am not too keen on myself, but overall I thought it was great. Especially the first half or so - particularly because of the atmosphere she painted, I felt I could cut through with a knife while reading! Very well done.

Team Hudders!

July 26, 2016 2:01 am  #1919

Schmiezi wrote:

I must admit that I did not like it too much. But if you liked the last few fics by SilentAuror, you will surely like this one as well. :-)

Yeah, I didn't like it either, but I've liked some of her stories in the past.  This one was too much thinking for me, lol.  I like fic with a-c-t-i-o-n, all kinds of it, lol.  Maybe this story had some action, but I closed it up and gave up before I got to any.

July 26, 2016 7:05 am  #1920

It was a bit long, but I liked the story.

Board footera