BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 19, 2016 5:13 am  #181

Re: Marvellous Midyear Fic Exchange 2016

Yitzock wrote:

A few days' gap sounds fine to me.

Agreed. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 19, 2016 7:21 am  #182

Yeah, two or three days would be good, I think. A whole week is a bit too long IMO.
By the way, I'll send you mine today.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

June 19, 2016 8:17 am  #183

Sounds fine to me as well. My fic is more or less finished, but I want to improve upon it. Put a bit more meat on the bones, so to speak. So a few more days would be excellent! 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 19, 2016 8:34 am  #184

Urgghhh, what a bad timing, my Laptop just broke down 
I think it's a problem with the display as I can hear that Windows is starting but the display stays black 
Well, nothing is lost. The draft version of the story as I send it to my beta reader is saved on a USB stick and her corrections are still in my eMail account, so I'll just have to do the editing again on my husband's PC. But it will take me a few hours more now to get finished. I still try to send it to you today, ukaunz.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

June 19, 2016 8:46 am  #185

No worries stoertebeker, these things unfortunately can happen! Don't stress
Just wondering, can you connect your laptop to your tv screen with an HDMI cable? I do this a lot when we want to watch movies that are stored on our laptop or external hard drive, but it would work if I was using Word or surfing the Internet or whatever.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 19, 2016 1:13 pm  #186

OK, I'm finished. Can anybody PM me ukaunz eMail-adress. I can't find it anywere.

Edit: OK, email send

Last edited by stoertebeker (June 19, 2016 3:31 pm)

"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

June 19, 2016 8:35 pm  #187

Just as I thought, I will be delayed for a day. But my story is almost finished now. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 20, 2016 3:33 am  #188

Okay, thanks Nakahara

Does anyone know what the Boss is up to these days? Haven't heard from her yet...

Last edited by ukaunz (June 20, 2016 3:34 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 20, 2016 4:20 am  #189

ukaunz wrote:

Okay, thanks Nakahara

Does anyone know what the Boss is up to these days? Haven't heard from her yet...

I wrote her a PM on another matter yesterday but got no response. Maybe you should try to use her mail adress, that always works better.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 20, 2016 4:28 am  #190

I don't have her email address unfortunately.

So, the first fic is up in the other thread!
I'll post the next one on Thursday. Hopefully that will give people plenty of time to read and comment

Authors, please let me know by PM if anything needs fixing when I post your fic.

June 20, 2016 4:36 am  #191

[b]Starry Night, Oil on Canvas, June 1889[/b]

Dear unknown author,

what a truely marvellous opening to the Midyear Fic Exchange.

A very emotional piece of work with so many beautiful sentences. Some of my favourites:
During his absence as he prefers to call those unspeakable years far from Baker Street he often looked up to the sky and whenever there were stars he remembered the time he gave away something of himself and John did not understand. 

He takes his scarf and coat, anxious for John to say something - I need you please stay do not let me do this alone not this time - but John remains silent. (sob)

Your take on Sherlock is spot-on, I think. You managed to show his pain with only a few scenes. The whole fic starts so sad and ends so lovely.

I love the flashbacks that go backwards, they make reading it even more interesting. And IMO you found exactly the right balance between flashbacks and the present.

You found a good way to end the Watson marriage btw. Evil Mary is omnipresent in fan fics these days. You wrote her out without judging. Well done.

Last edited by Schmiezi (June 20, 2016 5:42 pm)

June 20, 2016 6:49 am  #192

Starry Night, Oil on Canvas, June 1889

Wow, what an atmospheric start to the exchange! You have evoked the sights and smells of Provence beautifully. With those descriptions of food, it's rather delicious too. I love reading stories that transport me to a place so different from my current reality — summer in France is preferable to the wet winter we're having in Canberra at the moment! A really lovely fic, full of restless yearning. Kudos 

Last edited by ukaunz (June 21, 2016 12:24 pm)

June 20, 2016 2:30 pm  #193

My thoughts echo those who have already posted; this is a nice start to the exchange!
I have always enjoyed stories told partly in flasback and this one is no exception.
Though there was some sad recollection for Sherlock here, it did not feel completely sad.
I liked how the beginning seemed like a description of the painting.

Clueing for looks.

June 20, 2016 3:05 pm  #194

Oh what sweet sadness.   *sniffle*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 20, 2016 5:02 pm  #195

Yitzock wrote:

A few days' gap sounds fine to me.

As long as everyone finishes their stories and sends them in!  I've already submitted mine.  I'm looking forward to reading the one that's being written for me. 

Last edited by kgreen20 (June 20, 2016 5:05 pm)

June 20, 2016 9:33 pm  #196

Okay, here's what the schedule is looking like at the moment:

1. 20th June - already posted "Starry Night, Oil on Canvas, June 1889"
2. 23rd June
3. 26th June
4. 29th June
5. 2nd July
6. 5th July
7. 8th July
8. 11th July
9. 14th July
10. 17th July

If anyone* wants to submit bonus material — perhaps a little drabble, poem, meme or artwork? Feel free! The only condition is the theme "Summer". Or if one of the exchange fics inspires you, perhaps you'd like to do something related to it.

Also, I thought it would make it easier for those submitting fics or bonus material if I posted my email address here, hopefully I won't get any spam...
amberdelune at gmail dot com.

Thanks, everyone!

* You don't have to be an official participant, I do mean anyone

Last edited by ukaunz (June 20, 2016 9:37 pm)

June 21, 2016 12:18 pm  #197

Heart-stirring fic which evokes a magical sense of hot summer, of the lovely old Mediterranean town and of the past filled with sweet ghost of the gentle old woman. It is filled with peaceful resignation and nostalgia, conteplative silence, bitter-sweet sense of loss and yet it doesn´t need overabundance of words to convey all these feelings, it manages to paint all these things with the pair of well-chosen sentences. I sense the skilled hand of the master here.

The setting of the story was chosen with utmost care and oh, was it a delight to walk through this beautiful place in Sherlock´s shoes! Hmm, I wouldn´t mind to pass through Saint Rémy in reality either:

Dear author, you really managed to transport me into the middle of this wonderful corner of Provence and I thank you for that.

I love fanfics which are mingled with the real world to some extent and so I must highly praise your idea to include the RL Van Gogh painting into the storyline and to use it as a certain mirror for Sherlock´s mood and his introspection. „Being led astray, reaching for stars that were too big....“ Van Gogh´s words and yet I never read better descpription of Sherlock´s fleeting desires and failed efforts, these words convey it all in such a precise manner. Sherlock – Van Gogh parallelism lent an air of pending tragedy to the story and so I really feared for Sherlock´s fate here. That´s why your ending was so sweet. I relished it with all my heart.

And as was already mentioned, the structure of your story deserves admiration for the way in which it integrated plenty of flashbacks and scenes from various moments of Sherlock´s life into a wonderfully coherent, harmonious narrative. It felt absolutely natural and not a word seemed to be out of place, every colourful thread was weaved into the tapestry of your storyline with light hand assured of its goal. The sign of a skillful writer, no doubt.

Delightful summer relish tasting of chocolate, scented with lavender and honey. True magic at work.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 21, 2016 2:32 pm  #198

Wow, nakahara, your commet deserves kudos as well, very well said and thank you for the pictures

It's almost been said everything but I still would like to express my feelings towards the story. It was wonderfull! I've never been to the Provence but your descriptions, dear unknown author, were so vivid to me, I could really see the village, the house and everything else before my eyes.
As I used that structure often myself, I love those fics which are alternating between present and past time. Very well done. It was very moving to read what event had brought Sherlock to flee from London. His actions and feelings were very comprehensible to me and much in character IMO.
My favourite sentences: "If he has learned one thing about love by now then it is this: love means letting the other one choose. Not directing or controlling or influencing the one you love but letting him choose - even if he does not choose you." 
Thanks, unkown author for this wonderful story and thanks to you ukaunz for choosing it as opener.

"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

June 21, 2016 5:02 pm  #199

Wow, this was so beautiful. Sad, but reflective. It was a lovely view into Sherlock's thoughts, and it was even more lovely in the setting you chose. Are you familiar with this place? It sounds like it! Very evoking, I could see the cobbled streets, the French, yellow village houses and almost smell the croissants. 

I loved how you manage to draw into bits and pieces we know from the show, and see how Sherlock thought about these things. Even with such a short and reflective piece, I think you managed to bring the characters of Sherlock, Mycroft and John into life in a very familiar and believable way.

John just needs his time. He always does. Thanks a lot for your fic. 

Last edited by Vhanja (June 21, 2016 5:02 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 22, 2016 11:34 pm  #200

Does anyone have Sherlock Holmes/the Boss's email address? I really need to know if she is going to submit a fic or not.

Board footera