BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 12, 2016 10:17 am  #61

Re: Homophobia in Fandom*

besleybean wrote:

On your final point.
No, it doesn't matter at all.
Except in any instance you feel you are being accused of homophobia, just because you don't happen to see a gay paring.

Great point. There is a huge difference between simply not seeing characters that way and being homophobic.
This is why I think I've never met homophobic people in the fandom: they just wouldn't stick around.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

June 12, 2016 10:18 am  #62

For me, even worse than that, is accusing the Sherlock team of queer-baiting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 12, 2016 10:27 am  #63

besleybean wrote:

For me, even worse than that, is accusing the Sherlock team of queer-baiting.

I remember reading up on that because I've never seen the term before. The examples of shows given were so... shallow. Like, let's make somebody gay. For drama, ratings, and because it's considered cool. Smacked of disrespect from the show writers.
Mofftiss love John and Sherlock too much to be ever seriously suspected in queer-baiting. Obviously.

Last edited by ewige (June 12, 2016 10:28 am)

-----

June 12, 2016 10:32 am  #64

Sadly I've had the misfortune of witnessing a lesbian fan make just this accusation, in a public setting.
Not saying she was representing anybody but herself, but I thought the context was at least worth mentioning.
Personally I couldn't believe anybody would be so wiling to display their blatant ignorance in front of a large group...that apart from being so nasty about both Mark and Steven.
I mean it's one thing to have the relative anonymity and safety of the internet...but that just took the biscuit.
Having said that, I'm all for total free speech and allowing people to make complete arses of themselves.

Last edited by besleybean (June 12, 2016 10:34 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 12, 2016 2:48 pm  #65

I can only chalk that up to her lack of faith in Mofftiss. Maybe she also had unpleasant experiences with other shows.
I mean, there is no evidence whatsoever that would support queer-baiting on Sherlock. Johnlockers see the slow progress towards their Happy End, others see a very special friendship. Everybody's happy, right?

-----

June 12, 2016 2:52 pm  #66

Kind of.
Yes, I have to say, Sherlock is the only show I really care about.
I have no idea what goes on with other shows ad neither do I really care!
Possibly I'm not really understanding queer-baiting.
I'm certainly not aware of it.
I am assuming it's similar to click-bait?
Well, I would just be aware and stay away from those sites/shows etc.
I think it's great for shows to show good gay characters in a positive way.

June 12, 2016 3:01 pm  #67

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queer_baiting

"...a queer relationship or character is hinted at to attract/appeal to the queer market, and then is denied, either modifying the character's behavior (making them enter an opposite gender relationship), playing it off as a joke (sometimes a recurring joke or trope), or denying the assumptions (in interviews, panels and such) without modifying the character's behavior."

Uh, guilty on all accounts - apart from the first one. I will never believe Mofftiss did it for money, and I do believe they have a greater plan and want to take it slowly, hence the repeated denial in the media.

-----

June 12, 2016 3:07 pm  #68

But see, how would you ever prove this?
The Sherlock team have explained why they used the gay joke.
I don't believe they were ever trying to deceive anybody about anything.
They made the TV show they wanted to make and how they wanted to make it.They should be free to do so.
If some people SEE characters as either gay or potentially gay...is that really the fault of the show creators?
I watch Sherlock and  have dome since the beginning and don't see the leads as either gay or potentially so.
So it's all in the eye of the beholder and I really don't think the accusation would hold up in court.
People are free not to watch the show, of course.
I think it's a really unpleasant accusation to make of two men I greatly admire.
At the end of the day it is a TV show,  a drama, not a documentary or factual show.
I also hope those making the accusation would be brave enough to make it face to face.
I would be tempted to sue!

Last edited by besleybean (June 12, 2016 3:09 pm)

June 12, 2016 3:18 pm  #69

I've never for a second thought they're queerbaiting. I'm just trying to explain myself how other people (maybe with a very superficial knowledge of the show?) might think that. Such peolple will see light only if Mofftiss deliver in the end or - I don't know what the equivalent would be for "just" a male friendship. Maybe Sherlock admitting to his asexuality? But where's the mystery in it, where's the drama?

I figure show creators have no way to make everybody happy. Let's hope fandom doesn't prevent them from telling THEIR story (full circle to the first post in this thread). I'd love to see their vision play out, even if it doesn't include johnlock

-----

June 12, 2016 3:19 pm  #70

For me, they are playing out their vision in every episode...and so far I've loved it!

June 12, 2016 3:21 pm  #71

I would have to say that in my experience, fan culture is the most including, tolerant and prejudice-free place I've ever experienced. To the point where I think it's TOO tolerant. You can find fanfics and fanart about incest and beastiality without anyone batting an eyelid, a phenomenon that has disturbed me for years.

But homophobia? I can see that in the casual viewer, but not in fandoms. I've never seen more love for slash and same-sex pairings as I have in fandoms. Not just Sherlock, but more or less any fandom I've ever come across.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 12, 2016 3:24 pm  #72

Bestiality? Oof.
I have (not universally popular) views on incest, but as this has absolutely nothing to do with Sherlock...no need to go there at all.

June 12, 2016 3:25 pm  #73

Oooh, sounds interesting. Maybe for another thread?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 12, 2016 3:27 pm  #74

Well of course it just dawned on me...it does have everything to do with August Osage County.
Did we discuss it there?

Last edited by besleybean (June 12, 2016 3:27 pm)

June 17, 2016 8:44 pm  #75

As someone who follows more than one fandom I am going to contribute my tuppenyworth. All shows and filtered by the viewer through their own experiences and expectations. Often you can watch exactly the same show, exactly the same episode, as someone else but when you read their interpretations you think 'are we actually watching the same show?' People often see and hear what they wish to see and hear.

As for homophobia many men, especially in my experience older men, are scared and wary of gay men. They make inappropriate comments and have negative reactions through their prejudice and conditioning. They often seem to be unaware that their comments etc. are not acceptable and are riddled with misconceptions. Regarding lesbianism however, they see that as tittilating, I think because they don't see it as a threat to themselves or their sexuality.

In my experience women are far more accepting of gay, lesbian and other orientations. This, I believe, comes down to the male heirarchical dominance of society combined with a lack of tolerance for those who are perceived as being 'different'. Women have generally been subjugated and therefore are more tolerant of other groups who are also subjugated (unless they've been frankly brainwashed by some religious group or another- often male dominated). Younger people (male and female) seem generally to be far more tolerant and less prejudiced.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 17, 2016 9:11 pm  #76

Good points, Davina .

Vhanja, just my opinion, but I wouldn't worry too much about the apparent tolerance of incest/bestiality.  It's fiction, after all, and a way for people to express fantasies.  Back when I was young there was a book series which was was hugely popular in a 50 Shades way, and it heavily featured incest.  For some reason (the thrill of taboo?) incest appealed to the average reader then, maybe in the way that BDSM appeals to 50 Shades readers - as a fantasy rather than a reality.  (Incidentally, 50 Shades originally was fanfic, as I'm sure just about everyone knows).  I think there is all sorts of stuff that goes on in the recesses of people's minds, which is never intended to make it out there into actual practice. 

There's more I could say, but I think I'm veering off topic.  To get back on it again .... I think that sometimes, there might be something similar going on in enjoyment of slash - especially for people with more homophobic backgrounds same sex pairings might have a taboo element, and it's clear that it's fantasy (for women writing about two men, they are never going to act it out!). 

June 17, 2016 10:39 pm  #77

I remember that series, Liberty! I think I read them when I was too young, it took some of my innocence 

Interesting views on the topic, Davina and Liberty, thank you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 17, 2016 10:58 pm  #78

besleybean wrote:

Well of course it just dawned on me...it does have everything to do with August Osage County.
Did we discuss it there?

Not that I could find. It's certainly a complicated subject in that particular situation!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 18, 2016 7:27 am  #79

(Sorry, I know we're still OT)!
But just to say: the only complication for me is Lil Charles not knowing...

June 19, 2016 9:07 am  #80

50 Shades is certainly fantasy as it bears little, if any, resemblance to true BDSM; in that respect it is a dangerous fantasy. It is still derivative, plagiarised, badly written fanfic. Can you tell I'm not a fan?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera