BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 23, 2016 9:47 pm  #61

Re: Refugees

I used the word "stories" because you also used it in the context of "positive stories". It's probably the language thing, but "stories" in this context sounds a bit as if journalists would sit down in the morning, thinking 'Okay, what kind of stories can we come up with today?'. In an ideal world (and I know we're not living in an ideal world), the media doesn't tell us stories, they simply tell us the truth. Positive and negative. I know of course that it gives a far nicer impression if the media can show pictures of people welcoming refugees at train stations while holding up posters saying "Refugees welcome". But call me a pessimist: I knew right then and there that this wouldn't last. Politics, including Angela Merkel, are still relying far too much on volunteers to help out. They did so from the very beginning, and up to a certain degree that's understandable. But it seems to me that nothing much has happened since then.
Last week I was in a small village because we were doing a play there. It's fascinating that even during an evening like this, people were repeatedly talking about the refugees who are now living in that village and that everyone is needed to offer support and help. The local politicians seem to be at a total loss, they are left alone with the situation and just have to make do. That seems to the reality now.
So I am not the least bit surprised that a lot of people - including the media - are now asking uncomfortable questions - and well, such questions have been asked from almost the very beginning, but maybe not everyone was listening? I totally agree that we can't close our eyes before this whole situation, help is needed and Europe needs to help. But it seems that since this crisis began, there isn't much left of Europe. Still, help is needed. I think though that it is important to also talk about the problems and difficulties we will have to face in the future. Positive coverage is important and good, but why can't we have both? Positive and also critical coverage? Because being critical means that you're xenophobic?

And what's different now compared to one year ago? Well, I'd say that one year ago people in Germany weren't really aware of what was about to happen, I think it only became really apparent last summer. And I don't think that it's necessary to have a solution for every single problem now, but my impression is that we need a broad idea, a broad plan for the next months and years. Not just for Germany, for the whole of Europe. And at the moment that seems to be illusory.

Last edited by SolarSystem (February 23, 2016 9:51 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 23, 2016 10:21 pm  #62

I agree with you. Simple as that.

But I think the broad idea we need... it needs to be a political one.
I agree on both having positive and critical coverage.
I just think pessimism won't help. If people stop being optimistic - which doesn't really
mean closing your eyes to the reality - I just fear we will be in bigger trouble soon.
Especially volunteers need reassurance, not uncertainty. But you are right, they already carry too much of the weight.

"It is what it is."

http://i58.tinypic.com/2j432ti.jpg

February 23, 2016 10:37 pm  #63

And I agree with you. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/wink.png

Yes, the broad idea definitely needs to be a political one, and I'm sure that when Merkel said "Wir schaffen das", nobody really believed her to have a finished plan in her pocket already. But I guess a lot of people thought that she and the German government and eventually the EU would come up with something sensible. This was how many months ago...? About six months. I'd say that since then the biggest success has been that most refugees don't have to live in tents anymore. Which is a success, definitely. But there still is no real concept. It's just reacting and not really acting.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera