BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2016 12:56 pm  #21

Re: Jessica Jones (on Netflix)

Jessica Jones was the most "real" super hero I've ever seen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 22, 2016 1:15 pm  #22

Indeed tonnaree, she's brilliantly flawed... I liked the bit where she hurls her boot at the ceiling in that first episode... and the saga of her front door... I think it kind of follows where she is emotionally that door...

---------------
It's not really a ship, it's more like a life raft.

January 22, 2016 1:59 pm  #23

Oh yes, hurling that boot at the ceiling was brilliant. Could have been me. Neighbours.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 23, 2016 11:07 am  #24

I loved that show. A superhero with more flaws than virtues. A damsel in distress doing as much rescuing as she requires. And one of the vilest villains I have ever seen on screen, who still makes your heart hurt for him from time to time (they better start throwing some major acting awards towards DT for this one). The only criticism I would have is the ending, after Jessica’s speech on how she would throw Kilgrave into a prison, unable to ever manipulate anyone ever again, and let him rot there, I had high hopes for her to prevail over him by not letting him drag her down. But maybe Jessica was too damaged for that. To end it with this is something I have learned to expect from American shows, and it does not take away from the rest of the show, but I would have loved it if Jessica had shown herself to be able to have mercy with the most vile of creatures and not take his punishment upon herself. It would, I think, have been a big step for her to heal from all he had done to her, instead of inflicting one final wound.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 31, 2016 4:08 am  #25

And another 'holy wow' from me!  Finally finished watching all of this, and loved it.  Been aware of it for a while, especially all the buzz from a blogger I browse, who was super excited about both Marvel expanding territory into lesser-known and darker characters, and the fact that said character (and her friends, and the show-runner!) are women (and complex, diversely strong ones too, like was mentioned!).  So much stuff to watch through, but I admit Tennant as a villain and sounding like a fascinating darker not-quite-superhero show about a Marvel superhero pulled me in.  And was pretty much hooked from the first episode.

The film noir feel!  The use of color and light!  The playful Marvel references (and DW fans, did you catch a couple of the ones they threw our way??)!!    The acting, and 'ordinary' people struggling, even the ones that are gifted (and slowly breaking us in to all of Jessica's story and the superhero stuff, for those not in the know).  Like someone else said, it's kind of Marvel-Lite... nice to bring newcomers in who may like that kind of stuff, but not your typical 'Avengers'.  It even got me wanting to go back and catch up on Daredevil now too, since I know their locales and style (and eventually stories) overlap.  Love that we get the nurse at the end, to that effect, with her hints that she knows 'someone else like them'.  The only thing complete newcomers wouldn't get that I think adds to the whole effect (or geeks like me who wiki this stuff before watching), is the amazing use of purple light to hint at Jess's visions of Kilgrave (and further use later with more clothes and light), since he's the 'Purple Man' in the comics.  I love how they just tease glimpses until she's pulled back into his path again, and Tennant blowing me away with how amazing he looks for the part, yet horrible and creepy.  Great realistic portrayal of an abusive relationship.

I agree that the choice of ending for Jess and Kilgrave awkwardly kept her from that choice of trying to mostly be a hero, but... and I know this is a big But, heh.  Seems to me that trying to do the right thing for herself and everyone else (especially Hope) went out the window when she both lost any witness/valid evidence she had, and Hope literally took away her guilt and reason for needing to save her.  Kilgrave was much more powerful at that point and so many people dead already, how on Earth could she count on the regular trial and prison system to hold him?  Plus he had a death threat on her best friend!  This (along with 'who can gifted people turn to for help when the system/society doesn't know how to deal with them) is starting to remind me of the basis for upcoming 'Civil War'.  You know - sides starting to split on whether gifted people should tell the world who they are, if they put regular people in danger, and how society reacts to them.  Speaking of other superheroes around, I wonder why they forgot to put Stark Tower in the skyline when she's viewing the city from the top of the bridge?

Oh, oh, and the only other small detail I was head-desking over once it suddenly occurred to me -- why the heck didn't Jess have people use ear plugs??  Ok, so Trish had headphones, giving us an admittedly cool music-to-silence effect, and which can easily fall off for their plot point!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

Board footera