BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 24, 2014 3:50 pm  #121

Re: Least favourable fan review of S3 I've read so far...

Yeah, that's the reason I like the third season, too. It is like we now get to see the development of the character, from the young man who would not be above experimenting on a friend out of curiousity (yeah, that's canon, too) to the succesful detective he later became. From the guy who was dismissive of all females to the one who developed respect for them.

The Russian version did the humor justice imho. But then, it is my favourite take on Victorian Holmes.

Last edited by Swanpride (January 24, 2014 3:51 pm)

January 24, 2014 4:28 pm  #122

Haven't seen the Russian version so I can't comment there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

January 24, 2014 5:45 pm  #123

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2Z53uN6y10

In the comment section of the vid are links which all lead to film annex...I think it is easier to use them, because the film annex website is difficult to navigate. But you can watch them there totally legally, since the website has a licenze to stream them.

November 2, 2014 9:00 pm  #124

I actually quite liked series 3 but she did raise valid points like some others have said

http://i59.tinypic.com/o8gdop.jpg

November 2, 2014 9:10 pm  #125

My fave series and I can't wait for S4.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 6, 2014 3:15 am  #126

Season Three is certainly an odd one out for me. I was disappointed when I first saw it not knowing what to make all of it (in some ways I still don’t). However, upon rewatching it I’ve come to liking it and appreciating what the creators were trying to do with it. Season One and Two were adventurous and epic while this Season Three it tried be more personal and “surreal”. In 1 and 2, it had a thrill and wow factor but in this third season it was done in a way to catch you off guard and shock you. This was certainly unexpected but maybe it was necessary. Since Sherlock’s world changed it then it would only make sense that the overall tone of the show changed as well.

I do find it to be the weakest season in the series so far but it doesn’t mean I can’t find plenty of things to like about it. This show always seems to have wonderful acting from the cast, sharp dialogue, and dead-on humor even in episodes where storylines aren’t the best. While I do have serious reservations about a lot of what has been done in this season (An ambigious explanation to the fall, Mary being both pregnant and an assassin, Moriarty’s possible return,etc), I do look forward to watching Season Three to see how things pan out from all of this.

November 6, 2014 6:45 am  #127

Have you watched the commentaries?
I found they help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 6, 2014 5:34 pm  #128

Yeah I might do that

December 31, 2015 9:11 am  #129

I love to read unfavourable reviews. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of the show, it's why I'm here. But there are things worth critisising and it really bugs me when nobody is willing to do so. Nothing is flawless. One has to analyse something very closely to find so many flaws, it shows great enthusiasm although the writer apparently has stopped watching altogether now.

The author highlighted seveal things that, although they're true, don't really bother me. There is a lot of fanservice, types of fanservice I didn't think of as fanservice. The family christmas dinner, sibling rivalry between Sherlock and Mycroft, kidlock, Sherlock playing with a dog. Just sort of there for emotional weight than for any genuine relevance. As a fanfiction writer I know how fun it is to write these things, but scenes like this would have no place in old-school-Sherlock (S1). 

I can forgive plotholes, because many episodes have them (It was a supernova my ass!). What really bugs me is the so called "character development". People throw around that phrase too lightly. There is development, and there is acting completely OOC. Sherlock has shown examples of both. In some instances it can boil down to opinion, but Anderson? That is not development, that is... I don't even know what that was. I fall for a lot of the cheaper jokes (I am sorry, but the I'm Not Gay gag doesn't really bug me as much as it should), but I can't say I liked that aspect much at all. Anderson didn't need to be a fan for me to like him as a character, I liked him fine as he was, I don't want everybody to be sucking up to Sherlock and elevate him to Gary Stu status! 

The bomb disposal scene was just weird. That really did have fanfiction all over. Put there for no good reason than to explore two character's interactions in a given situation. Utterly pointless. I honestly did not like it. But there were scenes I liked. TEH was pretty fifty fifty. HLV sort of compensated for the exagerrated humour in previous episodes but was sort of weak, trying too hard to make CAM repelling with usual tricks. ASoT was the best episode of S3 IMO. Blended humour, drama, suspense and action pretty well. 

But it's true, the show isn't exactly what it was in S1. Of course shows need to develop, but is it development, or selling your soul to the devil? But in any case it's still enjoyable enough and the best thing on TV out there. 

Last edited by falsedoor (December 31, 2015 9:18 am)

December 31, 2015 9:14 am  #130

I can only ever see it as unfortunate if other people don't appreciate your favourite show.
I will try and educate, if given the chance!
I will defend BBC Sherlock to the end.
For me, it is simply the best TV there is.

Board footera