BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 25, 2015 11:52 am  #241

Re: Hamlet at the Barbican - contains spoilers about the production

I am beside myself with anticipation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 25, 2015 1:59 pm  #242

Good trailer, it doesn't give away much at all! But it still got me excited.

Clueing for looks.

September 25, 2015 2:35 pm  #243

Yes, definitely it doesn't give too much away but at the same time really ramps up the anticipation levels in me too!

I really have this feeling that this viewing will be something special.

-Val

Last edited by Ah-chie (September 25, 2015 2:36 pm)

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

September 25, 2015 3:12 pm  #244

Me, too, and that's what I am hoping.  Now that I actually know I get to go, this just makes me more excited than I was before.

Clueing for looks.

September 25, 2015 3:20 pm  #245

I think I'm going to need to see it twice. 

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 25, 2015 4:18 pm  #246

I literally screamed when I saw that trailer. All my pent up fangirling from the theater came out in one go

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

September 25, 2015 9:05 pm  #247

OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!! I'm gonna see Hamlet on Monday and now I am even more excited  !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

September 25, 2015 10:40 pm  #248

After having seen the play twice this week I can't wait to see it in the cinema again soon. Can't wait to see how it will feel like then, which camera angles they will chose for certain scenes... I'm sure it'll be fascinating.

It already was fascinating enough to see it from two different areas of the audience this week. On Tuesday we sat on the right side in row E, on Thursday we sat on the left side in row H. It's a shame that we missed everything that went on in the back of the stage on Tuesday just because our view was blocked by certain parts of the stage design, basically. We weren't able to watch Ophelia walk away during her last scene, we didn't really see Gertrude run after her... a shame, really. On Thursday, believe it or not, that very scene almost brought tears into my eyes because it was so moving to watch Ophelia walk away... too bad that audience members who watch the play only once and sit on the right side will never be able to experience this.
I know of course that there will almost always be things on a stage that not every single member of the audience will be able to see, but such a vital scene... it's great that Turner gave Ophelia so much time in her final scene, it gave much more weight to that role, in my opinion. So it's even more of a shame that not everyone in the audience has a clear view all the way to the back of the stage.

That being said: I liked this production of "Hamlet" very much. I think that the whole ensemble did a brilliant job, although I agree with Susi that there could have been more warmth between Horatio and Hamlet. As a matter of fact, Horatio didn't really work for me in this production. I didn't like his voice and his way of speaking, he sometimes just felt too fast-paced to me.
I also had some difficulties with this version of Polonius, he came across a bit too businesslike to me. Can't describe it any better, maybe this even is a pretty accurate interpretation of that role, nevertheless I couldn't connect to him in any way.

The stage design was a bit over the top for my taste, but that certainly really is a matter of taste. I liked it much better in the second part of the evening, it was darker and pretty threatening and made for an atmosphere of demise and tragedy. I agree that it had a wow-effect to it right from the start and that there was a lot of attention to detail involved - too much detail for my taste though. I like it better when some things are left to the imagination. It doesn't have to be minimalistic, but here it all felt a bit excessive to me. I'll admit though that the last minutes before the intermission totally blew me away: the cumulation to the final moments when Hamlet's uncle is standing alone on stage and then all hell breaks loose... wow, just wow!

I loved the energy on stage, and yes, Benedict is mainly responsible for that energy. He was fantastic. On Thursday it felt to me that he was in even better form than on Tuesday, there was even more energy to everything he did on stage. On both evenings however it was definitely tangible that this is the role he always wanted to play. He didn't play Hamlet, he was Hamlet. He wasn't just saying words, words, words (if you know what I mean), he felt them and he meant them and it felt to me as if those words and actions just sort of happened in the very moments they were spoken and done. And of course I also have to agree with Susi: he looked absolutely delicious.
There also were some pretty funny and almost absurd moments to be seen, some of them worked for me, others didn't, because again: a bit over the top. It was a joy however to watch Benedict act in those moments (and this proves again that this man has some serious comic talent!).

I can definitely say that those two evenings will stay with me for a long time.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 26, 2015 11:39 am  #249

I wanna go see it in the cinema as well now. I want to set some kind of world record for the most amount of times seeing Hamlet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 26, 2015 3:41 pm  #250

I love all reading all your reviews and experiences! 

I am really looking forward to seeing it at the cinema, especially to compare with the pre-premiere version I saw. Is it November 1st soon?? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

September 30, 2015 9:13 am  #251

Some pics from the Hamlet trailer - just because they look fab:

http://mental-leaps.tumblr.com/post/129839144483

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 30, 2015 9:40 am  #252

Thank you! I feel like I'm reliving it! 

Aaaah I'm all excited to see this at the cinema again!! Just one month and a day to go! I wonder how much it changed! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

September 30, 2015 11:04 am  #253

nakahara wrote:

Some pics from the Hamlet trailer - just because they look fab:

http://mental-leaps.tumblr.com/post/129839144483

Oh, I just need to watch it again!!! 15 days to go.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

September 30, 2015 12:18 pm  #254

I have a mighty need for Hamlet.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

October 2, 2015 6:02 am  #255

I just returned from 4 fantastic days in London with perfect weather (sunshine the whole day) a lot of Sherlockian moments (breakfast at Speedys) and Benedict Cumberbatch live on stage

I would like to share my expierence at Hamlet as well. First of all I must say that I haven’t had much contact with Shakespeare so far. I was part of a play in school of Midsummernights Dream and I watched the NT live cinema broadcast of Coriolanus last year and that’s basically it. I have never seen Hamlet before (neither theatre nor movie) and I haven’t read anything from Shakespeare. On the flight to London I read a book which contains the summery of the play, description of the characters and approaches of interpretation. So I was at least prepared about what would be going on on stage.
This was rather good, because I have honestly to admit that I didn’t understand much. I don’t know if it is just me but I found Shakespearian English very hard to understand. But it was ok, because of my experience at the Coriolanus screening I already knew what to expect.

I am so glad and happy that we spend a bit more money for the tickets as we had fantastic seats at the second row, on the right side of the stage. Many scenes very taking part in front of us, so that Benedict was sometimes only about 3 meters away from us. When the curtain opened the first time and Hamlet sits there with his turntable I whispered to my friend ‘There he is, he is really there.’ It was such a weird, surreal feeling seeing your favorite actor you only know from television and the big screen live in flesh and blood for the first time. I know, that sounds very fan-girlie, I am sometimes feeling almost ashamed for that .

When the second curtain opened to reveal the whole stage, I was really blown away of the scenery and the stage design. I loved it. I am not a fan of minimalistic settings (like in Coriolanus) and I generally prefer classic interpretations and designs on stage. But as tonnaree already said it is a matter of taste. I suppose, if you are in a rear row of the theatre the whole set might look a bit overwhelming and the actors might get ‘lost’ in this big set but from my position it was perfect. Some other things I loved of the play were the sound and music being used. The way they showed Hamlet’s monologues with everything else continuing in slow motion was also great to watch. And the last scene before the interval… wow, just wow!!! I was a bit sceptical at first about the costumes when I saw the pictures in the program but in the play I was fine with some of the more modern looking costumes (like Horatio).

Benedict was so gorgeous, so good-looking and despite his thinner frame (which I like the most) I seemed fit and healthy. He certainly put a lot of passion into the role showing Hamlet’s grief about the death of his father, his anger and disgust about his mother and also the ‘crazy’ parts were acted so good and funny to watch (I loved the scene with the toy castle). But it was not only Benedict. I think the whole cast did a tremendous job in the play. Despite some other opinions I read, I actually liked the way Gertrud was personated. She seemed like a person to me who likes being in a position of power which she would have lost after her husband’s death. Marring his brother allowed her to being queen further on. The only one who didn’t work for me was Ophelia. He couldn’t get a hang on that character (though I don’t blame the actress, especially at the end Sian Brooke’s play was very moving).

We went to stage door after the play but Benedict only came out for a few minutes and we were too far away for any good pictures. Shame, but ok, that would have been just a bonus anyway. We got an autograph of Kobna Holdbrook-Smith who was one of my favorites besides Benedict in the play. I liked his emotional way of playing Laertes.

I think it was very obvious how much Benedict love the theatre, therefore I am convinced it won’t take too long until we can see him again on stage. I will be definitely in .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

October 2, 2015 7:42 am  #256

Saw Hamlet last week two times and I just can confirm what you wrote, stoertebeker. That surreal feeling seeing Benedict right from the beginning... that near...
I also liked the stage design. And yes, it definitely is a matter of taste if the design suits you or not.
But I also have to confirm what Solar wrote about the stage. I was lucky to sit next to her.

SolarSystem wrote:

It already was fascinating enough to see it from two different areas of the audience this week. On Tuesday we sat on the right side in row E, on Thursday we sat on the left side in row H. It's a shame that we missed everything that went on in the back of the stage on Tuesday just because our view was blocked by certain parts of the stage design, basically. We weren't able to watch Ophelia walk away during her last scene, we didn't really see Gertrude run after her... a shame, really. On Thursday, believe it or not, that very scene almost brought tears into my eyes because it was so moving to watch Ophelia walk away... too bad that audience members who watch the play only once and sit on the right side will never be able to experience this.
I know of course that there will almost always be things on a stage that not every single member of the audience will be able to see, but such a vital scene... it's great that Turner gave Ophelia so much time in her final scene, it gave much more weight to that role, in my opinion. So it's even more of a shame that not everyone in the audience has a clear view all the way to the back of the stage.

In general I was really impressed by the production. I liked the cast and unlike some others also Ophelia convinced me. Especially her last scene was absolutely moving.
The only one I couldn't warm up to is Horatio. It was the way of his performance. IMO it was a bit one-dimensional (is that the right word?). In the Hamlet adaptation with David Tennant for example it was much easier for me to feel with him. The emotional relationship between Hamlet and his friend seemed much stronger.
And what can I say about Benedict's performance? He was gorgeous!!! The passion und energy he put into ít absolutely caught me. That role definitely is his show-piece on stage!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

October 2, 2015 1:36 pm  #257

I've seen it four times now and sadly i have to wait for another three weeks before I can see it again. Ugh, I love this production so much. Can't get enough.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 8, 2015 8:54 pm  #258

A video of a fence practicing Ben! 

https://flipagram.com/f/dV4KtAX4XG

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

October 8, 2015 9:12 pm  #259

Cool, thank you! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 8, 2015 9:48 pm  #260

That... was amazing I wonder what program it was off?

Edit: I just found out on tumblr that there's a National Theatre Backstage App (free) that you can download, and then within the app you can purchase a digital programme for Hamlet which has these extra goodies like the above video of BC practicing fencing.
http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/hamlet-digital-programme

Last edited by ukaunz (October 8, 2015 9:56 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera