BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 25, 2015 10:51 am  #1781

Re: Free Rants

I hope all goes well with the operation and they do go through with it, Whisky! 
I'm often a little too 'arrogant' to read instructions myself so it's a mistake I could easily make. 
Good luck with it! 

My head is better today, but ugh. I am not having whiskey in a long while. (managed to down half a bottle of the stuff straight). I spent yesterday downing several bottles of water, crisps, and the best thing ever! Green olives! I can't drink too much milk, I not that tollerant to lactose. But I can see how it would work to bind the alcohol. 

I'm lucky it didn't go worse though, I take pain relief that positively must not be mixed with alochol. 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (August 25, 2015 10:57 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 25, 2015 10:53 am  #1782

Wishing you all the best, Whisky, get better soon. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 25, 2015 11:12 am  #1783

Fingers crossed for your operation, Whisky!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

August 25, 2015 1:02 pm  #1784

Good luck, Whisky!

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 25, 2015 1:08 pm  #1785

Thanks everybody. Went well and I am already happily indulging in fan fiction :-)

Uh, phantom, half a bottle of Whiskey? That's rather a lot... maybe better if you don't repeat that ;-)

"It is what it is."

August 25, 2015 1:13 pm  #1786

Happy to hear that it all went well! Happy reading!! 

Trust me, I'm not touching whiskey for a while now. I already invested in organic soda to take to my best friends Birthday party in the weekend. 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (August 25, 2015 1:48 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 25, 2015 11:40 pm  #1787

Ha, that's a good thing to hear, Whisky! Happy reading

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

August 26, 2015 1:06 am  #1788

Writing postcards is not fun.
Never know what to say. And you've got to be concise? Yuk.
That's the part of holiday I NEVER like.

August 30, 2015 10:46 am  #1789

My TV has been 'acting up' for almost a year now... Something is up with the speakers, they 'scream' every time I turn it on; but so far if I have left it on for an hour then turned it off and turned it on again it has worked... Until last night. It won't stop 'screaming'. I have picture fine and clear but only the "eeeeeeeeeeeieeeeeiieeeeeeeeiiii" sound. 

I need my TV. It's my comforter. Watching Netflix on my phone or laptop isn't the same... plus I can't really get Netflix to work on the good PC, I use my old broken laptop to watch Netflix on the telly and now I can't do that... the screen on that laptop is broken; hence why I connected it to the TV. 

I can't sleep without the TV on, I'm scared of the dark and silence and it's the perfect cure for both. Last night despite my laptop running Netflix painfully slow I put on 'South Pacific' and tried to fall asleep to it... at 3am because I had spent 3 hours trying to fix the TV. Luckily I had fallen asleep by the time my laptop shut down to install upgrades. 

My aunt has offered to lend me money to get a new TV, in a few days. But it's going to take me a while to pay her back even if I get the cheapest on. Why on earth is rent, bills, food and medicine so expensive!! 

On the bright side it's a good excuse to listen music and get some writing done. I need to continue my Adler fic!! 

And the other day was just plain unlucky... changing the bandaid some of my healthy skin came off due to the adhesive having been too strong. It still hurts so much, and I think it's becoming infected too. I wrote a complaint to the company who sold the bandaids; mostly because it's a kids bandaid. Imagine that had happened to a little kid!! Then I wanted to comfort myself with an ice cream and got a wood splinter in my lip from the stick. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

August 30, 2015 6:03 pm  #1790

Ouch! I hate bandaids that are really sticky, but that sounds worse than any I've ever had to use.  I think if I were a kid (or even the age I am now) and that happened to me, I would freak out.

And that sucks about the TV.  I hope you figure out something that will work and that you will be able to watch TV again.  It's one of those things that you don't think much of until it's gone or doesn't work properly and then your life is off-kilter.

Clueing for looks.

August 31, 2015 6:40 pm  #1791

My aunt has been kind enough to lend me money to buy a new TV, and I even managed to get a really good deal on a TV from last years stock. It works perfectly! 

But the bandaid situation is escalating. I started with one big bandaid and now I'm wearing 4 because it keeps happening. And I keep changing the brands of bandaids. I am not known to have sensitive skin! I am trying to go without bandaids for a while but it's not easy as there's infection. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

August 31, 2015 11:47 pm  #1792

Band-aid is the word for the plaster things to  put on wounds, yes?
Sounds mean :-(

I am getting frustrated: wound is itching, my bagpack feels abandoned, letting others carry my luggage makes me feel bad, sleeping in my not-favourite position is annoying, ... the usual I guess...
And yeah, timing, tomorrow I move and cant carry stuff. I like doing things myself. Lesson in accepting help, still, dont like it.

And 34 °celcius, way to warm!!!!

"It is what it is."

August 31, 2015 11:49 pm  #1793

Wow! That is quite hot weather! I'd feel exhausted doing anything in that heat, let alone moving.  Although when I moved into university residence on Saturday it was pretty warm in my room because of the window not being open and because I'm on the third (top) floor of the building.  It's OK for sitting around, but when I was moving around a lot it was not fun.  And it wasn't even 30 degrees that day, it was in the 20s.  Good luck, Whisky!

Clueing for looks.

September 1, 2015 2:42 am  #1794

I hope it gets better for you Whiskey, is your recovery going to plan despite all of this? 
Accepting help is one of the hardest things to do, but try to appreciate that you have people who want to help you. (Easier said than done!!) But it's not your fault you're in the state you are now, and from what I understood your operation was meant to get you better in time! Try to take it easy... 
I hope you'll be a lot better soon, and by then you can pay it back!

It's 4am and I'm paying the price for my overconfidence now... I carried the TV home; that's 1,5km because I wanted to save money on a cab. I did take breaks and all but it doesn't change that this was the last thing my spine needed. 
I can't get comfortable now, my spine hurts, my hip aches, my arms are sore. 
Also while cooking dinner earlier I realized I am trying to avoid the fact that I have a chronic condition. I eat a lot of pasta, but I still keep my pasta in the bottom drawer... a lot of the things I use frequently are not placed according to what my back and hip can tolerate... and I think it's because I'm trying to pretend I'm okay because accepting that this isn't going away is too difficult. 
I didn't put the pasta back in the drawer though, I placed it on a shelve at chest height... I guess I'll have to make small migrations like that, changing everything at once I fear will hurt too much emotionally. 

losing weight can ease my pains slightly but they will still be there... no excersises seem to help and the chiropractor only made it worse. 

And one thing I can't take is when people give me special treatment once they know about this... after I had to call my mum one night crying because my pains were worse than ever and I was panicking she is suddenly 'too' focussed on my health, I'm not allowed to help her when I come to visit and anything I try to do for her I'm met with "are you sure you can handle it?" It makes me want to scream! 
I was raised to help. One of the worst things for my back is to wash the dishes by hand... but I can't be at a party and not offer to help with the dishes. At my friend's birthday party (after 2,5 hours on a bus which killed my back) I saw she had started doing the dishes on her own and no one even noticed so I came running to help her... it hurt so much I could have cried, but it's so hard to change habits; and I know it was upsetting to her to do it all alone. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

September 1, 2015 2:21 pm  #1795

That doesn't sound like an easy situation.  But it sounds like you are coping reasonably well.  Making small gradual changes to stuff like where you keep thing seems like a good idea.
And I think part of living with something like that is not letting it stop you from living the way you want to, even if it can be difficult.  Maybe you do need to learn to take breaks and let people say it's OK for you not to help them sometimes, but I think it's good that in spite of it all you still want to be a good friend and help.  And I don't think you should completely stop doing that.

Clueing for looks.

September 2, 2015 5:20 pm  #1796

sigh....
Maybe this is me misinterpreting things but I feel like whenever I try and find information people treat me like I'm totally stupid and uninformed for whatever reason.  I may look a bit young for a 19-year-old person and but I'm not stupid.  I asked about writing for the school newspaper because that was something I didn't get the chance to do last year, but I felt like the girl who was at their table (she's one of the editors, I've met her before) didn't want to answer my questions, and if she did it was like she wishes she wasn't, or like my question were stupid.  I'm asking you to tell me about your club, your student association that you want people to be apart of, and you answer my questions in a way that seems like you are still keeping information from me because I don't deserve a better answer.  She asked me to repeat myself a few times (it was noisy in the tent with a bunch of tables set up, so that's understandable), but it felt like she was asking reluctantly...Maybe I'm projecting a bit on this but I was still made to feel very unwelcome.  I still want to contribute because this isn't an oppotunity I want to pass up, but the exchange we had has killed my enthusiasm a fair bit.  I don't want to care about what she thinks, but the way she interacted with me made me feel bad and the way she runs things seems a little odd, a bit strange to me, inefficient, dismissive of people who aren't sure how much they actually want to do or want to write for more than one section because hello we're not editors and we want to try things out.  I hope I'm wrong about what I think right now.

Clueing for looks.

September 2, 2015 9:18 pm  #1797

I'm sorry you were met with an attitude like that! If anything that says a lot more about her than it does you. 
Who knows, maybe she's just an awful stuck up person or she was having a bad day... 

But I recognice the feeling of not 'deserving a better answer'. But you do! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

September 3, 2015 12:49 am  #1798

Thanks.  I was just frustrated and had to let it out, and it was the last table I visited (the other people were more inviting) and it left me in a bad mood.  I'm OK now.  I don't think she's an awful person, I think maybe we just don't gel for whatever reason.  I remember feeling awkward in other conversations I've had with her in the past.  It was also noisy so that probably didn't help, although I still felt kind of unwelcome.  But it's not bothering me so much now.

Clueing for looks.

September 3, 2015 12:55 pm  #1799

I'm about to throw up.

My aunt asked me for a favour, to visit a lady who lives close to me and bring some things home to take to my aunt... the lady's sister died and she's getting rid of the stuff... the lady also wanted to give me a lot of stuff and I was 'forced' to take a lot of the things... (I did have to say no to some stuff because there's no room in my one room flat...) But I wasn't allowed to say no to an expensive seal skin bag. REAL seal!! She wouldn't let me leave without it. 

Granted she did tell me that if I was ever to sell it it was important that I remembered to put it in the pouch she gave me... 

I might wear a faux fur coat for the winter (which she also gave me a new one of, BEAUTIFUL thing!) But... I don't wear dead animals. I don't even want dead animal skins in my home! Unless I specifically know every part of the animal was put to use, and at least the skin made into something practical. 

I am going to sell it as soon as I figure out how. EEEW. 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (September 3, 2015 12:57 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

September 7, 2015 6:49 pm  #1800

I can understand why you wouldn't want anything to do with that.  I don't know whether ebay would be a good way to go, if they even allow that stuff, but I hope that you find a way to get rid of it if it bothers you that much to have it.

Sorry to switch to my own annoyances, but I have to let it out....so I was hoping to take a trip to another city than my school's to go see Hamlet at a cinema.  But from the looks of it they changed the schedule and the only cinema that's showing it on Nov. 7th is an extra hour and a half bus ride away! And my only other option is a cinema that is actually in the city, but then I'd have to skip class.  I don't have a midterm that day, but I'm also not so keen on missing two classes to go see a show that evening.  Because I'd have to allow some extra time and the bus ride is 2-3+ hours regardless.  And then I'd need time to get food and check into a hotel because it's playing at 7:00 that night.  So I'd need time to prepare and travel. So unless I visit some friends in another city (even farther away), I will have to either go to all that trouble or just give up and not see it.
I feel like I shouldn't have even looked to see if it was playing in another city once I saw it wasn't playing in the city my university is in.  It feels like I gave myself false hope, dangling it in front of my face only to not be able to follow through.  I know if I really want to go I can just choose one of those options, no matter how difficult it is, but the thing is it would be quite an expense and I feel exhausted just thinking about the hours spent on buses. 
I'm just disappointed right now.  This is the first time I've really hated the location of my school and wished I was studying somewhere else.

Last edited by Yitzock (September 7, 2015 8:48 pm)

Clueing for looks.

Board footera