BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 1, 2015 1:45 am  #781

Re: Fan Fiction Addicts General Round Table Discusion - ADULT CONTENT

Vhanja wrote:

I don't know if you have come across this, but sometimes I come across just a sentence or two in a fic that is so amazingly good, so incredibly well written that it manages to sum up a whole character or theme.

This was a sentence that stood out to me first time I read it:

"John seems to struggle with himself for a bit. Sherlock wonders if John Watson has ever been in a state of not-struggling with himself."

It blew my mind a bit, it just summed up a lot about John so effeciently and so well.

What fic is this from??

May 1, 2015 8:47 am  #782

State of Flux by Atiki.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 1, 2015 10:11 am  #783

There is also a thread for favourite fan fic quotes 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 11, 2015 6:18 pm  #784

New chapter is up for the last installment of "Grace!" 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

May 11, 2015 6:19 pm  #785

Good news!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 11, 2015 6:20 pm  #786

Great news!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

May 11, 2015 6:33 pm  #787

I wouldn't know that one, can you provide a link, dear? 

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 11, 2015 6:40 pm  #788

mrshouse wrote:

I wouldn't know that one, can you provide a link, dear?

Here you go. 

http://archiveofourown.org/series/28661

Team Hudders!

May 11, 2015 6:46 pm  #789

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 23, 2015 5:11 pm  #790

Team Hudders!

May 24, 2015 2:36 pm  #791

lol The AU and genderswap ones are so real.  The jumpers, too.

Clueing for looks.

June 10, 2015 9:06 pm  #792

I can often find it interesting when a fic changes perspective between Sherlock and John. However, some take it to the extreme. I've read fics where the perspective changes depending on who is talking in a dialogue scene. It makes my head spin. 

Team Hudders!

June 11, 2015 9:31 am  #793

I agree. I have learnt that it is bad writing when you switch perspectives that often. I am always very careful not to do it and hence get annoyed when someone else does it in fanfics. ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 11, 2015 10:05 am  #794

Yes, I can confirm that. It is usually regarded as a sign of bad or inexperienced writing. I think you need to be very, very good if you want to pull it through as a stylistic means. I would always try not to switch the POV within a scene. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 11, 2015 10:37 am  #795

I think it has to do with playing the scene out in your head, being aware of the thoughts and processes of both of them in that scene. And then you try to get all of that across at once.

Team Hudders!

June 11, 2015 5:06 pm  #796

Used excessively, it can disorient and confuse as you have already mentioned, but I don't know whether it can never be used for certain things.  It can be acceptable in certain forms, such as (just a random example I'm coming up with on the spot here) "Little did he know that his flatmate felt the same about this situation." or something like "And then their thoughts where the same." I don't know whether I'm making complete sense, but I feel like something like these examples would be OK, but if it's constantly switching like ordinary narration.  "He did this, He said this, He felt this, then he felt this" for a different character each line. Then, it's probably not the greatest technique for the reader understanding both characters perspectives in one scene.

Clueing for looks.

June 11, 2015 7:48 pm  #797

You are horrible! It's all your fault that I spent yesterday lunchtime trying to focus on the screen through tears on my glasses! (Alone on the Water, what else?)

I very much hope that was the last major character death story I read. At least here I went into the story knowing what to expect - not so long ago I read one with the tag "minor character death" and then the author killed Mary... It took me pages and pages to understand that she really was dead.

So, I don't like favorite characters dying (probably wouldn't shed a tear for Anderson, though...), I don't read Omegaverse, Mpreg, tentacles, werewolves, fluffy animals (exception made for "Courting behaviour" linked several pages previously, because a) I know and like the author and b) it was short enough. And so ridiculous it actually made me laugh... I much prefer stories that make me laugh (or at least grin) - life is sad enough. )

I don't much like AU, but it depends on how far "off" it is. If Sherlock is still a London-based detective, I'm okay with him and John meeting as elves in Santa's Grotto... (http://archiveofourown.org/works/609765/chapters/1098620) I'd also be okay with Captain Watson having to protect Sherlock who is doing some detecting in Afghanistan, but frankly, the too frequent sex puts me off that one. I've marked the ballet story, but I'm not sure that I'll ever get around to it... Probably I'd rather read a story where the London detective turns out to be a vampire, if it's well enough written, than about Sherlock the event rider.

Because to my surprise I've discovered that the quality of the writing is more important to me than the content of the story. Much more important... Actually, I still don't quite understand how I could read over 500 pages of baby story (I hate babies. I hate baby stories. I hate baby films. I hate absolutely everything about babies, never had any and never will have any.) with nothing much happening (except baby's first tooth, baby's first word, etc...) (If anybody is reading this who doesn't know yet: This is the story: http://archiveofourown.org/works/729134/chapters/1354275)

By good writing I mean that grammar and spelling are (mostly) correct (typos do happen) , but also that the story is not "overwritten", i. e. not too many adjectives (I've seen Benedicts hands - I don't need to read about his "long fingers" every time Sherlock picks something up), no unnecessary descriptions (I don't need to read about dust particles floating in the flat's air...) - I want a story to move on fairly snappily (life is short, and the story list is long...)

The less I like the content (i. e. babies), the better the writing needs to be. In a good Irene/Sherlock love story I put up with a few misconstructed sentences... (life is all about compromise...)

I've a few things to say about crossovers, but I think this thread is already too long by far (took me thwo days to get through) and I'll start a new one if none exists.

(It just occurs to me: Vampire Sherlock would solve so many problems! How he survived the fall, how he sees, hears and above all smells things nobody else notices, the author for once would be justified in Sherlock not eating - and not sleeping at night. AND it's actually suggested by Moftiss - remember the rooftop scene in the unaired pilot?)

Last edited by Kittyhawk (June 11, 2015 7:50 pm)

June 11, 2015 8:08 pm  #798

It's always kind to add the title of a fic to a link, so one can see which one you are talking about 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 11, 2015 9:08 pm  #799

Kittyhawk wrote:

I very much hope that was the last major character death story I read. At least here I went into the story knowing what to expect - not so long ago I read one with the tag "minor character death" and then the author killed Mary... It took me pages and pages to understand that she really was

I must admit that I didn’t tag my fic in which Mary dies with "major character death". To me, only John and Sherlock are "mayor characters". And to be perfectly honest, I tagged it so that readers who love her surely won't read it anyway.

See here:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/1527377

But

Mycroft's

death gave me more of a headache. I felt like "minor character death" was not enough for this person. So in the end I simply tagged it "character death".

(I am posting this from my smartphone. Hope the spoiler thingy works. )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 11, 2015 9:29 pm  #800

You have my sympathies when it comes to Alone on the Water, Kity! I was like a movie clichè, crying in the shower the morning after I read the fic (I cried non-stop from the first sentence while reading it). And for weeks it came back in my head without any warning and I had to fight tears every time. Still happens.

I don't think I could ever recommend the fic. Not because it's bad, but because to me it was purely painful. In a way I wish I had never read it, and I don't think I will read any fic where Sherlock or John dies again.

Last edited by Vhanja (June 11, 2015 9:29 pm)

Team Hudders!

Board footera