BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 8, 2015 9:03 pm  #3881

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

I meant mad in a nice way. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 8, 2015 11:41 pm  #3882

Yeah, figured ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

May 11, 2015 4:36 pm  #3883

It's Monday! Here we go again:

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 11, 2015 4:39 pm  #3884

Brilliant start!
Erm, Susi, should we move the party to THE OTHER thread? 

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 11, 2015 4:52 pm  #3885

Well, of course I can do that. I just thought it was sort of evidence as well. 

May 11, 2015 5:01 pm  #3886

Hm.....okay.  Convinced. 

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 13, 2015 1:01 pm  #3887

I just came across this
http://loudest-subtext-in-television.tumblr.com/post/93328684339/the-princess-bride-moffat-and-tjlc
The Princess Bride has been my favourite movie forever. I love this comparison!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 13, 2015 5:29 pm  #3888

Doesn't everybody love The Princess Bride? .  Fantastic film, and very difficult to avoid quoting. 

Moftiss have said before that the friendship is the most important part of the stories (or words to that effect).  I've got an ancient quote from Steven: "You know I think the Sherlock Holmes stories have always been about the friendship.  I mean, the surface level is the detection, but what you fall in love with is these two impossible opposites who adore each other."  They could be using the detective aspect to lure people into seeing the relationship instead, but I'm not sure ... I think the relationship is attractive to viewers right from the beginning.

There's a link to Mark's "softly, softly" quote - now that keeps coming up, but I don't think we all agree on the interpretation.   To me Mark seems to be saying that what he would like to see is gay relationships being "incidental" on TV - characters just happen to be gay in the same way as characters just happen to be straight (as in real life!).  "I think the problem still is, [being gay] becomes the issue. I think the thing with gay characters is that it has to be an issue, as opposed to being part of everyday life — which of course, as we all know, is what it is". If he'd wanted Johnlock, then it seems the opposite of what Moftiss have done - instead of making them just happen to be gay, they've made them closeted/in denial/etc. i.e. making the fact that it's a same sex relationship the issue.  

May 22, 2015 9:39 am  #3889

This muses on some things we already mentioned but it's a nice summary why John can have true feelings for Mary and fall for his friend anyway:
http://tykobrian.tumblr.com/post/119587012319/why-homoromantic-john-kills-the-dramatic-tension#notes

Last edited by mrshouse (May 22, 2015 9:41 am)

May 22, 2015 12:00 pm  #3890

I agree, I never saw John has homoromantic/sexual (never knew there were two different words for that). If there is no Johnlock, he's straight. If there is, he's bi. I do believe he honestly loves Mary. He even says so himself, I can't see anything that goes against that.

And loving Mary is of course not a reason for not loving Sherlock. He even says that too "The two people that I care about and love the most...". 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 22, 2015 1:12 pm  #3891

Bisexual - double your chances of getting a date for Saturday night. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 22, 2015 2:58 pm  #3892

Erm, yeah, that's a way to look at things, thank you, tonnaree. 

May 22, 2015 3:29 pm  #3893

Always accentuate the positive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 22, 2015 4:50 pm  #3894

The problem is, which  Mary does John love , the facade Mary? And wouldn't that facade be one Mary put on to...idk be what Mary thinks John might want/fall in love with...which takes everything back to sexual attraction...and how do we judge if it's there...either in the Mary/John or the Sherlock/John relationships.
There isn't really anything for sure in either relationship....smouldering intense looks on one side...and marriage@ pregnancy on the other...neither are really definitive of sexuality..which in itself isn't definative or fixed.
Oscar Wilde had children..and a wife but I think most people would box him up as gay....the love Q doesn't help the..is it sexual Q at all.
John could be completely straight..and still have an abnormal -for John- sexual attraction to Sherlock.
We can't judge eye dilation or take pulses etc and could they even act that....  So until we get action or script to show otherwise....I don't see how we will ever know.

May 30, 2015 4:53 pm  #3895

Quite a nice collection 

i should know my watson by now…quick man, if you love me…..he broke into a low laugh and put his lips to my ear….it was worth a wound, it was worth many wounds…..dr watson is my friend and partner…you are not coming….then you are not going……you won’t fail me, you never did fail me…something in his eyes which was nearer to tenderness than I had ever seen…i felt holmes’ hand steal into mine….for two hours we rambled about together, in silence for the most part, as befits two men who know each other intimately….when you like and where you like….and believe me to be, my dear fellow, very sincerely yours….

Source: http://bbcbees.tumblr.com/post/111339414651/i-should-know-my-watson-by-now-quick-man-if-you

May 30, 2015 5:16 pm  #3896

I particularly like this one:

SusiGo wrote:

….for two hours we rambled about together, in silence for the most part, as befits two men who know each other intimately….

I think it says something rather lovely about their relationship.

June 1, 2015 6:37 am  #3897

I love this.
In conclusion...bros.
Oh no, I said the B-word...

June 1, 2015 6:57 am  #3898

Mrshouse, I am shocked! 

June 1, 2015 7:06 am  #3899

Move to THE OTHER thread. I'll make up for it. Constantly.

June 1, 2015 11:39 am  #3900

Does this belong here or in the other thread?

http://joolabee.tumblr.com/post/120369020269

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera