BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 27, 2015 2:00 pm  #1421

Re: The special - the game is on (spoilers)

Lol, that's cute!

So... you guys have any idea what that "special scene with Martin" could be?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 27, 2015 2:19 pm  #1422

Vhanja wrote:

Lol, that's cute!

So... you guys have any idea what that "special scene with Martin" could be?

Oh my darling.  I have so many "ideas."    

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 27, 2015 2:25 pm  #1423

*Turns smutty imagination off*

Well, someone suggested we might get another more Canon-compliant version of the reunion, complete with brandy, open collar, blurry vision and all that stuff. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 27, 2015 2:29 pm  #1424

Well, smutty imagination goes without saying, of course. 

Yeah, I've heard that idea mentioned. Could be, of course, but to me it doesn't quite make sense that if they first took the time and trouble to shoot a Victorian special, they would redo something they've already done.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

April 27, 2015 3:00 pm  #1425

SusiGo[u wrote:

]*Turns smutty imagination off*[/u]

Well, someone suggested we might get another more Canon-compliant version of the reunion, complete with brandy, open collar, blurry vision and all that stuff. 

Yours has an OFF switch?

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 27, 2015 7:01 pm  #1426

Now this is interesting. Look at the dates.The pic below is from filming the special:

http://57circlesofhell.tumblr.com/post/117534463624/oscar-wilde-was-sentenced-on-the-25th-of-may-1895

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 27, 2015 8:35 pm  #1427

It was in the year '95 that a combination of events, into which I need not enter, caused Mr. Sherlock Holmes and myself to spend some weeks in one of our great University towns....is the start of The three students.

Speculation it was the trial @ The Wilde connection is always interesting...also....two of his plays were on in London at the time..The Importance of being Earnest @ The Ideal Husband @also theres The ideal man monologue.
Yes..Fun Coincidences....

Last edited by lil (April 27, 2015 9:43 pm)

April 27, 2015 8:46 pm  #1428

Ah, but what does the universe say about coincidence..................

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 27, 2015 9:20 pm  #1429

Now that is very interesting! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 27, 2015 9:40 pm  #1430

A reference to the ideal husband could also be an ironic nod in a episode containing  a bride shooting herself on her wedding day.

April 27, 2015 9:49 pm  #1431

@The princess bride.....again?

Last edited by lil (April 27, 2015 9:58 pm)

April 29, 2015 8:13 am  #1432

April 30, 2015 9:44 pm  #1433

Mark Gatiss tweets a pic of #Shspesh in pregrade !

April 30, 2015 10:00 pm  #1434

SusiGo wrote:

Here is an interesting post. Sorry if we had this before:

http://slashscribe.tumblr.com/post/117661911006/songstersmiscellany-miadifferent-we-talked-a

Did not realize the significance of men using first names in Victorian times.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 30, 2015 10:09 pm  #1435

I think it went even longer than Victorian times. For example during at least part of the 20th century in English public schools boys used to address each other by their last names (Brits, please correct me if I am wrong). Using first names reflects a high degree of closeness or intimacy. 

As for the show - it has always been a modern distinction to call them Sherlock and John as opposed to Holmes and Watson. If they were going to change this in the special, this would be highly significant. 

April 30, 2015 10:10 pm  #1436

SusiGo wrote:

I think it went even longer than Victorian times. For example during at least part of the 20th century in English public schools boys used to address each other by their last names (Brits, please correct me if I am wrong). 

I remember someone - I think it was perhaps Moffat - who said that one of the reasons they decided that the boys would call each other by their first names in their modern version was "otherwise they would sound so public school". So I think you are right.

Team Hudders!

May 1, 2015 6:21 am  #1437

It's been like that until quite recently in Britain for boys - not just at public schools.   Even my boyfriend (mid 30s) still calls his old school friends by their surnames or nicknames.  My son (teenage) never has.  Nowadays it wouldn't be usual for two people meeting in adult, outside of an institution, to use surnames.

May 6, 2015 1:05 pm  #1438

They have started recording the score. And there seems to be a title (which we are not allowed to see):

http://57circlesofhell.tumblr.com/post/118278362444/miadifferent-cupidford-cupidford-x

http://sherlockbuddy.tumblr.com/post/118279077954/cupidford-x

May 6, 2015 1:15 pm  #1439

Could it be even remotely possible that we'd get to see it before Christmas? 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 6, 2015 1:42 pm  #1440

No idea. It would be brilliant. But they have called it a Christmas special more than once so I am not really hopeful. 

Board footera