BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2015 12:27 pm  #1

Writing a new Sherlock adaptation

Well, I'm going to request some thoughts and ideas from you guys. Basically, I'm writing a story that's a modern adaptation of Sherlock Holmes, but it's not based off the characters from BBC Sherlock and I don't want it to be like a Sherlock fan fic, I want it to be individual and sellable!

The only problem is, whenever I sit down to try and write it, I can't get Benedict and Martin out of my head, and I just hear them speaking the dialogue and doing the actions. How can I build up the characters so that they're sufficiently different, bearing in mind that they're basically always going to be the same characters anyway because they're still Sherlock and John or Holmes and Watson? There's only SO many differences they can actually have...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 2, 2015 12:43 pm  #2

Re: Writing a new Sherlock adaptation

Well, you can start with - when in the storyline will your stories take place? How old are Sherlock and Watson? Will it be when they first meet, or a decade down the line? How will Sherlock be? A mysterious genious of an elderly chap? Or a young and arrogant sod like BBC Sherlock? And how will Watson react towards this Sherlock - snarky and deadpan like in BBC Sherlock, or more mild-mannered and tolerant? 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 2, 2015 6:15 pm  #3

Okay well, without giving too much away, it's set during Sherlock's time at Uni. John will be in it and their lives will almost collide but they won't actually meet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 2, 2015 6:21 pm  #4

I thought a 70ies adaptation might be lovely 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

Board footera