BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 20, 2014 6:00 pm  #241

Re: Baby Watson (spoilers!)

I think I used the wrong word. My point was more that if Mary dies in the special, and Ep 1 of S4 is set a couple of years later, it's like the Mary arc never happened and we're back where the series started - the two boys in 221B.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 20, 2014 7:15 pm  #242

This may happen of course...but possibly not until after heartbreak for John.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 20, 2014 7:48 pm  #243

For some reason, I thought Amanda was in S4, but I don't know where I got that idea from.   (And even if she is, I suppose she could still die in the special and be in a flashback/mind palace scene in S4).

December 20, 2014 8:03 pm  #244

They specifically said that  they wouldn't kill her offscreen like Doyle did. They also said that it isn't entirely clear that Mary really dies in canon. I think Amanda is gonna be in it, whether her character dies or not. 

December 20, 2014 9:05 pm  #245

silverblaze wrote:

They specifically said that  they wouldn't kill her offscreen like Doyle did. They also said that it isn't entirely clear that Mary really dies in canon. I think Amanda is gonna be in it, whether her character dies or not. 

Well, she was at the "reading" and did just tweet about bleaching her hair.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 20, 2014 9:17 pm  #246

So I predict - and hope - that she dies in the special.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

December 20, 2014 11:24 pm  #247

I don't see room in the Sherlock show for any baby or Mary ...they have served the purpose and just need an exit..what more could they possibly add to our knowledge of Sherlock?
We saw Sherlock with a child...coping with Johns wife and various girlfriends...as a best man...trying to keep Johns marriage together after the betrayal...Sherlock with others...and how Sherlock was apart from John...
Married John and Sherlock without John is done?

That storyline doesn't have legs.

December 21, 2014 12:27 am  #248

I tend to disagree with that there is no story to be told with Baby Watson. I cannot see why it…she… would have been written in if there was no plan. Though the plan might not be a long-term one. Mary will leave the story, if TPTB stay true to the cannon in that respect (all that I have heard till now lends me to believe they will). If that leave will be connected with BW remains to be seen. I hope for a version where Mary and BW leave together to continue their lives elsewhere (witness protection, fleeing from the past, leaving John). While this would hurt John, it would still be less heartbreaking for him than loosing his daughter and the woman he wanted to share the rest of his life with to an untimely death. And I am sick and tiered of seeing John heartbroken. I have witnessed that for 2/3 of the episodes of last season. Don’t get me wrong, I love season 3, but the man deserves a break. However, I also cannot quite imagine John and Sherlock taking BW along to chase criminals (Sherlock’s methods are far from safe. In SiP alone he casually jumps in front of a driving car twice and that is still not the most dangerous thing he did in that episode.). I will not even start on 221B’s dynamics with an added baby. I don’t see that going well for too long, what with all the possibly toxic chemicals, bored shoot-outs and random body parts; and I very much long for John and Sherlock to spent more time together again at Baker Street.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

December 21, 2014 11:36 am  #249

Oh I just realised that I consider the special s4 and the three episodes after that s5, and everyone else says 'special' and s4. Sorry, I misunderstood. So the question is whether Mary and the baby will disappear in the special or later. Interesting. The special would be a good place to kill a major character, but then, last time we predicted Mary would die, she lived, so maybe they won't kill her, just because everyone expects them to kill her. 

I agree with Lola that there can very well be a baby storyline, I mean, they normally write about a time traveling space alien, surely a baby would be within their capabilities. They also said they've diverted quite a bit from canon this time but I don't think they'll go off rails, they always say that they really love the canon. I'm actually really interested in what villains they will trot out. I'm already in love with Baron Gruner, but this is getting a bit off topic. 

December 21, 2014 11:59 am  #250

Although, they did get rid of the baby in the space-travelling alien story

I agree about mining the canon.  There's loads more there for them to use, and they are such big fans.  I don't think the stories always need an uber-villain. 

December 21, 2014 3:11 pm  #251

Did they get rid of the the baby in the space-travelling alien story? Amy's baby we're talking about? Because as far as I know she's got a huge storyline, written in reverse. Very clever and very sci-fi. 

December 21, 2014 3:19 pm  #252

And Dr Who, not Sherlock!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 21, 2014 3:32 pm  #253

Well, I don't want to spoil too much (although I suppose anybody who wants to see it now has seen it - we're going back a bit!), but you're thinking of the adult.   The baby essentially disappears from our screens, if I remember.   We do get a fake baby for a short while, and mentions of the baby as a child, but the parents are not involved.    Obviously time travelling shenanigans made that a possible plot twist in that show, but it would be possible to do something similar (abduction, etc.) in Sherlock that would take the baby out of the story too.

Possibly too dark (for me, anyway), but there's also the possibility of puerperal psychosis and infanticide/suicide.  I don't know if there were any ACD stories about this but it was a recognised phenomenon at the time, and I'm sure he'd have been aware of it.   It's not a very Sherlock sort of story, but it is something that springs to mind as a way to remove a mother and baby.  

December 21, 2014 4:58 pm  #254

besleybean wrote:

And Dr Who, not Sherlock!

But Sherlock is the one with the blue box, right? 

Ok, fine, we went off topic. Quite a lot of solutions presented here are pretty horrible. I actually want the baby to survive, although I don't want it to be a major part of future storylines. It's not in the canon after all but that doesn't mean they won't do anything with it. 

The most sense would make for me to have Maries cover blown and her and the baby flee somewhere else, with help from John and Sherlock. They can't interact anymore so they're not part of the story, but still Dr. Watson has a child. I actually find that quite a cool take on the canon. Maybe they find a secret way to interact so John get to see her every now and then. 

December 21, 2014 11:09 pm  #255

I just realised for myself, I personally don't mind Mary at all, just the baby. I just tried to take the baby out of the equation, and found that I'm immediatly fine with having Mary around for a bit longer. And what worries me about the pregnancy is not really that Mary and John will go away and live happy family life without Sherlock, but how being a parent will change John. John has been with Mary, and he has been on cases with Sherlock, and there are ways this could work, for quite a while in my opinion (for a few episodes, even series). I just can't see how John would do the same if he had a child. It's not only a child at home, a child somewhere with Mary, but I would guess if it was his own child, he would stop being so reckless, and maybe be more concerned about many things going on, no matter how often he saw his child, no matter if Mary took it away. John seems to me this kind of person. No matter how fond John is of Sherlock, and how much Mary understands his need to go on dangerous cases, a child would change the dynamics - but Mary is just one of two there. I don't dislike the idea of Mary staying for longer, I just dislike the idea of John changing in character I think. If they're going to put a baby into the show, then the main focus will be on the impact on John, I suppose. Mary isn't a main character of the show (althouth she has become an important one). And then I just wonder... what do they want to do with John? Where do they want to lead him character-wise? And Mary isn't that important for answering that question maybe. And then I wonder, why make a decision that will have impact on John, if the show is called Sherlock? It comes back to a baby being just another of John's pressure points, and therefore Sherlock's, and... I just don't know. On the other hand, I loved the realisation with the pressure points, but I don't want to see the same thing again. I just cannot imagine another series completely filled with character development and changing loyalities and trouble in relationships. Series three was great, but I wonder what new direction would be there to explore. And the baby brings me back to relationship trouble, and we had that already... that's what I don't like about it.
If they didn't introduce the pregnancy in such a way at the very end of an episode, I would have maybe never thought about it twice. But the announcement felt like it had meaning. And I just don't get that.
I'm just trying to sort my thoughts...

Last edited by Whisky (December 21, 2014 11:17 pm)

"It is what it is."

December 22, 2014 5:50 am  #256

So either he loses Mary an the baby and is devastated, which will impact the show greatly.

Or he has Mary and a child at home, which will impact the show greatly.

The only way out of this that I can see is to kill Mary off while she is pregnant, in the special. And then set S4Ep1 a couple of years later, so that the main grieving is done off-screen. (Same they did with Sherlock's "death").

Team Hudders!

December 22, 2014 11:02 am  #257

Swanpride wrote:

(I just had a thought...I wouldn't put it past John to force Mycroft to babysit when he is suddenly faced with an emergency situation).

December 22, 2014 2:01 pm  #258

I don't know, but I think I would rather trust Sherlock with a baby than Mycroft.
(although Mycroft would just order some nanny to babysit probably, before he himself has to... haha, Mycroft and changing nappies, that's a lovely image)

"It is what it is."

December 22, 2014 2:09 pm  #259

Well, he did babysit his parents at Les Mis. But I do find the thought of leaving a baby in the care of somebody who doesn't want to look after a baby kind of disturbing (even though I know it happens all the time!).

December 22, 2014 3:23 pm  #260

Mycroft with baby puke on his best suit.     rotflmao

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera