BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 21, 2014 4:53 pm  #2581

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

I think he had his reasons for not telling the truth about Janine - he clearly enjoyed teasing John a bit. There had been the quarrel because of the drugs. They had no seen each other for weeks. He had put away the chair because he could not bear to see it in the room. And of course John would have been furious if Sherlock had told him that he had only befriended Janine to get closer to Magnussen. Do you really think John would have accompanied him to the office knowing full well that Sherlock was continually deceiving her? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 21, 2014 5:01 pm  #2582

Oh, good point about the drugs - Sherlock tells John right away that he's on a case, and John refuses to believe him.  So maybe there's a little childish revenge there, or maybe even just a bit of logical thinking - that it's not helpful to tell John. 

I think John might have tried to talk Sherlock into being honest with Janine, but could he really have resisted going on the case with him?  

November 21, 2014 6:03 pm  #2583

Sherlock misleading John about Janine is interesting...it was uneccessary so why..Sherlock usually has a reason for the things he does after all. Further Sherlock seemed to expect being questioned on it, he had researched acceptable answers via a book , and so it was a planned lie. So an experiment..or testing a theory?.
Did he want to see Johns reaction to - Sherlock@Janine? - thus he deliberately misled him...because I doubt he thought adventure addicted John would refuse coming on a case if he knew the truth - Johns been disapproving before.
It's all rather curious and amusing...especially considering John probably believes the newspaper stories too.

November 21, 2014 9:11 pm  #2584

Certainly it would effect John's view of Sherlock, if he did believe the newspaper stories...but would he be so shallow?
But does he think Sherlock and Janine were in a sexual relationship?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 21, 2014 9:21 pm  #2585

I don't think anyone would believe the newspaper stories ("he made me wear the hat")!  But John will have thought they were in a sexual relationship - they were in the bathroom together, he saw them kiss, etc. 

Sherlock lying by omission here is pretty much what he does.  John doesn't seem to mind too much, surprisingly. 

November 22, 2014 2:12 pm  #2586

Liberty wrote:

Sherlock lying by omission here is pretty much what he does.  John doesn't seem to mind too much, surprisingly. 

And apparently we, the audience, don't mind too much either.  Keeps us on our toes and enjoying the surprise around every corner when the "reveal" comes. Nothing dull, boring and predictable here.....big reason I love this show.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

December 5, 2014 1:51 pm  #2587

Wow, I just found an excitingly educational blog that analyses why BBC Sherlock must absolutely be straight. It contains much strong language and profanity, but indeed, the proofs about how heterosexual Sherlock is are simply too great to miss. After I read these metas, especially those concerning Study in Pink, Scandal in Belgravia and The Sign of Three, I started to wonder how could I ever be so blind to consider the slightest scene in BBC Sherlock as Johnlock subtext.
Here are the wonderful, highly educational metas:

http://sherlock-is-straight.tumblr.com/post/81644568356/sherlock-is-straight-the-no-homo-series#

And for those who are still blinded by Johnlock, here, a bettered, straightened version of Sherlock:

http://sherlock-is-straight.tumblr.com/post/95681899837/thought-you-would-appreciate-this-straightened

Much better than the old version, if you ask me. That´s probably why they got rid of Sherlock´s curls for the Special. They want to prepare an audience for this new, special version of Sherlock.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 5, 2014 2:02 pm  #2588

*Gasping for air* Oh, I had to stop at Mark Straightiss! This is too much to read it in one go. Now I finally understand what the whole series is about. Thank you so much for pointing out these highly scientific studies, nakahara. 

And what a thoughtful choice for "straightened Sherlock". 

Last edited by SusiGo (December 5, 2014 2:04 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 5, 2014 2:06 pm  #2589

What a bunge of dumb morons we are....
Finally a highly scientific approach to the matter, how can we misinterpret so many scenes and creative decisions. The comprehensive thread and all of johnlock-hash tag be closed now. 

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 5, 2014 2:29 pm  #2590

I will go and delete all the Johnlock rubbish asap. 

December 5, 2014 2:40 pm  #2591

No, Susi! This won't help! Everything I believed in was a lie, a fraud, a sham! And I thought I hade met like minded friends here! I'm just going to have my account here destroyed! Just leave me alone!

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 5, 2014 4:11 pm  #2592

I think that all the Johnlockers here (me included) should drown themselves in tea till death....
I'm starting asap

---------------------------------------
Enjoy the silence
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

December 5, 2014 4:11 pm  #2593

No.  Who ever wrote that is more full of crap than Santa's reindeer!

*AGRESSIVELY JOHNLOCKS ALL OVER THE PLACE*

Last edited by tonnaree (December 5, 2014 5:40 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 5, 2014 4:42 pm  #2594

Thank you, tonnaree, this is just what I needed! Don't give up the ship. 

December 5, 2014 4:49 pm  #2595

All I can say is: I knew it all along (of course).
I was just playing along with all you stupid Johnlockers for the fun of it. And I'm glad you all have seen the light now.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 5, 2014 4:52 pm  #2596

Solar, now you can finally delete your tumblr. 

December 5, 2014 4:55 pm  #2597

Hey, cheer up, Martin said that Oklahomo was true and pretty accurate! 

December 5, 2014 4:56 pm  #2598

Oh, Martin has seen the light as well. After BBC3 and BBC2. 

December 5, 2014 4:58 pm  #2599

Susi, right... but there are so many other things on my tumblr, nobody will even notice if I don't post any of that Johnlock nonsense anymore.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 5, 2014 5:00 pm  #2600

I see. From now on you will only post Adlock and Sherlolly. And Shernine? 

Board footera