BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 21, 2014 9:27 pm  #921

Re: The Imitation Game

It was "token".

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

October 21, 2014 9:32 pm  #922

Yes, right, thank you. The deduction work to find the solutions was fun. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 21, 2014 10:05 pm  #923

I actually prefer the American style of crossword, where every letter is checked, to the British style, where a lot of letters are left hanging on their own. There's no way (short of a nice computer program that tells you yea or nay as this one had, or looking up the answers) to know if you're right with the unchecked kind, which makes me nuts! But I think everyone prefers the style they're used to.

October 22, 2014 5:50 am  #924

Checked?
Sorry, I don't understand.
I love crosswords.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 22, 2014 6:33 am  #925

I think RER problably means this style (this is a German crossword):

You get more clues because there are far more meeting points between words. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 22, 2014 7:48 am  #926

(That is called Swedish style - American Style is yet another one )

Last edited by Harriet (October 22, 2014 7:52 am)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 22, 2014 7:51 am  #927

Yes, you are right, Schwedenrätsel. I chose it for the layout, not the name. 

October 22, 2014 7:55 am  #928

cross with my edit 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 22, 2014 11:31 am  #929

SusiGo wrote:

Liberty wrote:

Well done!  It looks like you would have had a chance for Bletchley Park if you'd been in the right place at the right time! 

(The website isn't working for me, so I can't see it, but presuming it's the one used for recruiting?)

I think it was part of the puzzle they used for recruiting and no, I would not have had the slightest chance. It tooks me far too long and I had the internet on my side. Solving the whole thing in 10, 8, or 6 minutes is amazing. 

Ancientsgate: The hammering thing was "right nail". Sorry, have forgotten the other one. 

I would have had no chance but I would've gladly served them tea all day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 22, 2014 11:51 am  #930

In a well-constructed Aerican-style crossword puzzle there are both white and black squares (unlike the Swedish puzzle above? I'm not familiar with that style), but every white square (the ones that get letters in them) has both an across and a down clue that "cross" through it. Therefore every letter has a check--both answers have to fit. The New York Times crossword is perhaps the best known example. (I'm on my iPod and can't get a picture easily from here to show.)

ETA: American style crossword grid: http://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:CrosswordUSA.svg

(I love crosswords, too!)

Last edited by REReader (October 22, 2014 12:06 pm)

October 22, 2014 12:23 pm  #931

REReader wrote:

In a well-constructed Aerican-style crossword puzzle there are both white and black squares (unlike the Swedish puzzle above? I'm not familiar with that style), but every white square (the ones that get letters in them) has both an across and a down clue that "cross" through it. Therefore every letter has a check--both answers have to fit. The New York Times crossword is perhaps the best known example. (I'm on my iPod and can't get a picture easily from here to show.)

ETA: American style crossword grid: http://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:CrosswordUSA.svg

(I love crosswords, too!)

Yes, this is a good description of the crosswords we see here in the US. My husband does crosswords while he relaxes, usually with the TV on, too. Not sure how much of the TV shows he's actually seeing/getting, but he sure zips through those crossword puzzles with all their made-up words that no one ever heard of, lol.

October 22, 2014 1:10 pm  #932

I am bad at crosswords.  I can usually figure out the clues but I am pants at spelling!

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

October 22, 2014 4:05 pm  #933

Ah, I see...
Well I like them all!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 22, 2014 4:44 pm  #934

Those look like a nightmare to write!

(Or compile, or create, or whatever the word is for making for a crossword).

Last edited by Liberty (October 22, 2014 6:40 pm)

October 22, 2014 5:25 pm  #935

Yes, I guess have to be as clever to create them as to solve them. Or even more. Today I suppose there is software for it but 70 years ago … 

October 22, 2014 5:54 pm  #936

There is software for writing crosswords, but it doesn't really help with the brain work, only with the writing/erasing/writing part. 

I think the US-style crosswords are harder in the making of the grid part, but the UK-style crosswords tend to be trickier in the clue-writing part, so that would be harder to create. And how hard they are to solve depends very much on how tricky the clues are--in general, the UK-style has trickier clues, but that's a very sweeping generality, with many exceptions on both sides! Also if you can't get a word in the US-style crosswords, you have the option of the clue going the other way to fill in missing squares, which you can't in UK-style crosswords.

Now my head hurts... ;)

Last edited by REReader (October 22, 2014 5:56 pm)

October 23, 2014 12:40 am  #937

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

October 23, 2014 5:42 am  #938

Yay!

October 23, 2014 3:18 pm  #939

Yay, that's so cool!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 24, 2014 7:04 am  #940

This is great news. Alan Turing's niece Inagh Payne who had been a bit reserved towards the film and the role of Joan Clarke aka Keira Knightley has watched the film and is very happy with it. As the interview is no  longer available on BBC iPlayer, I am quoting it in full:

(Allan Beswick with BBC Radio Manchester talking to Inagh Payne)
AB: Inagh…
IP: Hello
AB: Have you seen the film yet?
IP: Yes, I’ve seen it twice, I went to premier last night and I really enjoyed it -  it was great. Benedict Cumberbatch portrayed Alan very well, he played the part with great sensitivity and that was very moving at the end and also Keira Knightley was very good indeed as Joan Clark - they seemed to  get the relationship just right in the film and the film really did honour to my uncle and it’ll should make everyone more aware of his immense achievements.
AB: Listening to your voice  - without being too rude - you sound like you were relieved after seeing the film to a certain extent… you must have been quite apprehensive 
IP: Um well, I faintly yes, I wasn’t quite sure what it was going to be like.  I was really pleasantly suprised when I saw it first time round ah with my family -and we, well, almost without exception we all thoroughly enjoyed it. But of course there are not many people alive now that remember my uncle, just just myself and my two sisters. [there’s two ladies who were daughters of Alan’s psychologist friend - I wonder if they’re still alive and I’m sure there are a couple codebreakers who recall their time at Bletchley Park - but, it’s not family of course]
AB: How well do you remember him? what age were you when he was doing his work and then his unfortunate life afterwards
IP: Well I was 18 when he died (AB: oh dear) but I have got vivid memories of him but I didn’t see that much of him because I was away at boarding school most of the time, but he was a wonderful uncle, very kind, very generous, very caring
AB: Somebody suggested this morning that he ought be on  a bank note
IP: That has been suggested before and yes (laughs) and um well that would be wonderful
AB: There is a sort of groundswell behind him now though isn’t there and it could get there
IP: Well it might do yes because he’s becoming more and more famous as time goes on
AB: Quite so… a pleasure to talk to talk to you…

Last edited by SusiGo (October 24, 2014 7:05 am)

Board footera