BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 30, 2014 2:05 pm  #1

Hey people, needed someone with deduction abilities to talk to.

I've bin studying the science of deduction for two years as a hobby, after I learned about the great Dr. Joseph Bell. I will say I'm fairly good, and I'm able to deduce instruments that they play, if he/she has brothers/sisters, in some degree what their occupation is, etc, etc

I was introduced to the Sherlock series around a year ago. It's a great show and I know it's just entertainment but I find some of the deductions Sherlock makes is completely rubbish.

Anyways, I'll would like to report to here when I made a discovery and I need a poll to see if it's correct.
For example: a recent discovery I made is that the height a person is from the norm, can indicate to some degrees how many siblings he/she has. So a person who is small would likely have 2+ siblings. Someone who is tall has one or no siblings. I believe this is related to breast-feeding, as the more children one has, the less amount of breast-feeding can occur with that particular child.

I have tested this extensively, but yet to confirm this, and I would like the Sherlockian people to comment on this to see if my discovery has any validation

September 30, 2014 10:29 pm  #2

Re: Hey people, needed someone with deduction abilities to talk to.

Huh…   Well, okay, kind of makes sense, excepting big factors of genes and sickness affecting growth spurts, I can think of?  Or birth order, as the eldest wouldn't have any siblings (at the moment) to affect that factor?  Always found deductions of lifestyle/habits/work/etc based on appearance to be really really neat, but kinda wonder about this one.  What would say about an average-looking woman of 5'4", then?

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

October 1, 2014 11:24 am  #3

Or, do shorter parents tend to have more children and taller have less children?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 1, 2014 2:02 pm  #4

Welcome to the forum!

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

October 1, 2014 5:39 pm  #5

I don't have much at all in the way of deduction abilities , but I can see that even if the hypothesis proved true, it would be virtually impossible to apply it to an individual according to their height.  (Taller people supposedly have a higher cancer risk, but that doesn't mean that you could assume a tall individual had cancer).   Then there's all the other things involved - how would you know if the person was breastfed?  If their siblings were on the father's side?  What other factors have affected them? 

October 1, 2014 6:23 pm  #6

I have just been proven woefully wrong in my deduction skills...so I think I'm retiring to a shed in the wilderness!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 1, 2014 10:03 pm  #7

Deduces the poster is male under 21 hated school plays guitar second child shorter than sibling wasn't breastfed... ...and has a fascination for breasts and legs and a wicked sense of humour.....

Alternatively.....my mother had 6 children...first 2 breastfed only....
Height order goes  1 5 3 6 2 4.
However....don't you also need to split males/females?
Thus. M M f f f f
Your theory works for boys....not for girls in a poll of 6 .

Last edited by lil (October 1, 2014 10:07 pm)

October 2, 2014 10:33 pm  #8

I would say probably not. I study physical anthropology, I've taken several classes on human growth and development. About 85% of stature is genetic, the other fifteen percent is left to outside factors such as illness during times of growth. studies have shown that there is no real difference in height between those breast fed and those formula fed as an infant. by about six months babies who are formula fed tend to catch up to their breastfed counterparts, and breastfed babies have a tendency to grow less quickly once they've started weaning (around 10 months in most western civilizations). There's also what's known as canalization, so if a stressful event occurs (illness, malnutrition, etc.), growth speeds up once they're healthier, to put them back into their growth trajectory. Breastfeeding mothers also benefit from lactational amenorrhea which supresses ovulation making it more difficult to get pregnant while breastfeeding. In conclusion, number of siblings should have no affect on height based solely on the breastfeeding hypothesis. However, there could be a correlation because of other factors. 

October 10, 2014 6:19 am  #9

I'm female, 5 foot 7 and an only child. I don't know what that means for your studies. I know a girl who's six foot and she has two sisters so I'm not sure what that means.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 10, 2014 9:23 am  #10

Both my kids were breast fed til age 1 and are both giants!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera