BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 28, 2014 2:11 pm  #21

Re: How Has Sherlock Changed Your lIfe

SusiGo wrote:

I guess all this is something the creators of the show never dreamed of - people from different continents becoming friends, even visiting each other. Their show helping people through difficult times or change their lives for the better. This is amazing. And I hope they know that this is so much more than just entertainment for many of us.  

It really is more than a TV show.  It's intellegant and funny and moving.  It's art.  And good art will always change your life.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 2, 2014 11:46 am  #22

gently69 wrote:

Ah yes, the language thing ... I certainly am far away from good with my English skills but I never used this language that often like after discovering Sherlock ... because I want to listen to Benedict's voice  ... because the atmosphere in the show is much better in the original version ... because I want to communicate with like-minded people from all over the world in this forum ...

And I also started to watch other films and series in English versions ... and I read more English books now ... and and and ...

It's the same thing with me. Since I discovered this series I wanted to improve my English skills. I also started to watch films in English with English subtitles which I have on DVD - I hope I can watch them without subtitles some day. I'm also reading much more English books and articles (for example "Frankenstein" and hopefully soon "Hamlet"). Now I only have to learn to speak proper English which is quite a challenge at the moment.
In October next year I will travel to London to watch Benedict onstage as Hamlet. By then I want to speak much better than now to communicate with the Londoners.

The series and also Benedict prompted me to change something in my life: I started to exercise regularly which I didn't do for many years. I bought a rebounder and a hula hoop with knobs to get rid of my paunch. It will take some time to ge in shape but now I'm so motivated that I have to take advantage of it.

September 2, 2014 11:57 am  #23

Steph
The series and also Benedict prompted me to change something in my life: I started to exercise regularly which I didn't do for many years. I bought a rebounder and a hula hoop with knobs to get rid of my paunch. It will take some time to ge in shape but now I'm so motivated that I have to take advantage of it.[/quote wrote:

That's interesting. I am still waiting for this motivation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

September 2, 2014 12:00 pm  #24

Steph wrote:

Now I only have to learn to speak proper English which is quite a challenge at the moment.

Your written English is excellent already, Steph. By all means keep on with the books and the movies and with posting here. It will really give you a language boost!

Steph wrote:

The series and also Benedict prompted me to change something in my life: I started to exercise regularly which I didn't do for many years. .. It will take some time to ge in shape but now I'm so motivated that I have to take advantage of it.

How the hell did THAT work for you? (Please, I really want to know! I desperately need to get back into shape, too, but being in this fandom does nothing for me in that way. If anything it just makes me spend even more time in front of the computer...)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

September 2, 2014 1:16 pm  #25

La Jolie wrote:

Steph wrote:

Now I only have to learn to speak proper English which is quite a challenge at the moment.

Your written English is excellent already, Steph. By all means keep on with the books and the movies and with posting here. It will really give you a language boost!

Thank you for the compliment! To write in English is not a problem because I can take my time and can look up words I don't know. But when I have to speak I have to know the vocabulary and also the pronunciation which is really difficult for me sometimes. I try to talk to myself aloud sometimes but I always fail because I'm desperately searching for the right English word. It's frustrating but I keep going. It can only get better.

La Jolie wrote:

Steph wrote:

The series and also Benedict prompted me to change something in my life: I started to exercise regularly which I didn't do for many years. .. It will take some time to ge in shape but now I'm so motivated that I have to take advantage of it.

How the hell did THAT work for you? (Please, I really want to know! I desperately need to get back into shape, too, but being in this fandom does nothing for me in that way. If anything it just makes me spend even more time in front of the computer...)

I don't know exactly how that worked for me. It's just that Sherlock and especially Benedict are so energetic that I want to keep up with them (I know it sounds ridiculous ). They are experiencing so much in their lives and I really envy them for that. My life is so boring - nothing special happens. That was the point at which I decided that I had to change something in my life. I know I have to make small steps to keep it rolling. So I decided that I had to change my look first of all because that is something which bothered me since many years and I always was not satisfied with it. I know when I can achieve this I can manage everything. I believe when I'm feeling more comfortable in my body I will be more confident. I'm tired of being so unsecure and so lazy. Sherlock and Benedict are so confident and they don't care what others are thinking or talking. So now they are my role models! I give thanks to them!

Last edited by Steph (September 2, 2014 1:17 pm)

September 2, 2014 6:15 pm  #26

Steph wrote:

La Jolie wrote:

Steph wrote:

I don't know exactly how that worked for me. It's just that Sherlock and especially Benedict are so energetic that I want to keep up with them (I know it sounds ridiculous ).

Oh yes, that works for me too. I just have to watch the taxi chase to make me want to run. 
Also Benedict said in an interview that sports is important to him because it keeps the brain ventilated (or something like that), and somehow that thought motivates me a lot more than all those "get into bikini shape" magazines. ..

September 2, 2014 6:22 pm  #27

That's what I meant! Thanks that somebody feels the same about that.

September 2, 2014 8:04 pm  #28

Steph wrote:

My life is so boring - nothing special happens. That was the point at which I decided that I had to change something in my life. I know I have to make small steps to keep it rolling. So I decided that I had to change my look first of all because that is something which bothered me since many years and I always was not satisfied with it. I know when I can achieve this I can manage everything. I believe when I'm feeling more comfortable in my body I will be more confident.

*big hug for Steph*

You're on a good way, dear. Sometimes it's really just a small change that will have a big effect. None of us will ever change our general body shape or the length of our legs or the shape of our face, but buying some new clothes for the fun of it and straightening up a little , and smiling at people instead of waiting for them to smile at you can make a huge difference. Not that Sherlock necessarily subscribes to any of that, but you know what I mean. Keep it up!

Steph wrote:

It's just that Sherlock and especially Benedict are so energetic that I want to keep up with them (I know it sounds ridiculous ).

Not at all. I've been thinking about it and  I don't only understand what you mean, you've also convinced me that it could work for me that way, too. That would be working out for the right reason indeed. *Not* the bikini shape crap.

Zatoichi wrote:

I just have to watch the taxi chase to make me want to run.

LOL, that is not the problem, my dear. It makes me want to run as well, but to actually go and do it like Steph obviously does is quite enviable.

I'd just have to find the time...more time at the gym means less time for fandom acitivities... bad dilemma...

(I've often wondered, btw, how Sherlock can be so energetic and incredibly fit, with all his running around and martial arts and jumping elegantly over barriers of all sorts, without ever working out! Sherlock at the gym is too ridiculous to contemplate, but if not, how else does he do it?)

September 3, 2014 8:52 am  #29

La Jolie wrote:

*big hug for Steph*

You're on a good way, dear. Sometimes it's really just a small change that will have a big effect. None of us will ever change our general body shape or the length of our legs or the shape of our face, but buying some new clothes for the fun of it and straightening up a little , and smiling at people instead of waiting for them to smile at you can make a huge difference. Not that Sherlock necessarily subscribes to any of that, but you know what I mean. Keep it up!

Thanks for the hug!
I'm trying to change my life a bit and coming out of my shell. It's a long process and I'm just at the beginning.

La Jolie wrote:

... I've been thinking about it and  I don't only understand what you mean, you've also convinced me that it could work for me that way, too. That would be working out for the right reason indeed. *Not* the bikini shape crap.

I'm glad that I convinced you a bit. I also don't want to slim down for a bikini shape or something like that. I just want to become fitter and get rid of my fat pads to feel more attractive.

La Jolie wrote:

... I'd just have to find the time...more time at the gym means less time for fandom acitivities... bad dilemma...

I understand that. I also don't have time to go to the gym. That's why I bought a rebounder and a hula hoop which I can use every day no matter what weather is outside or what time it is. And I can watch telly or listen to music while exercising. That's fun!

La Jolie wrote:

I've often wondered, btw, how Sherlock can be so energetic and incredibly fit, with all his running around and martial arts and jumping elegantly over barriers of all sorts, without ever working out! Sherlock at the gym is too ridiculous to contemplate, but if not, how else does he do it?

Now that you mention it, I also wonder how Sherlock can be so fit. I don't have an explanation for that. Maybe he is jogging around the block when he can't sleep. I don't know. Maybe he is Superman!

September 3, 2014 9:06 am  #30

La Jolie wrote:

Zatoichi wrote:

I just have to watch the taxi chase to make me want to run.

LOL, that is not the problem, my dear. It makes me want to run as well, but to actually go and do it like Steph obviously does is quite enviable.

I'd just have to find the time...more time at the gym means less time for fandom acitivities... bad dilemma...

I see your dilemma.. I´m still in maternal leave and the kids go to kindergarten, so I´m in the luxurious situation to just pick up my shoes and go running whenever the pent-up fangirl feels demand it . (Well, at least on mornings and late evenings..)

But sometimes the gym really is a great place for fandom activities.. I listen to soundtracks and make up fanfiction or forum posts in my mind while on the treadmill ^^.

La Jolie wrote:

(I've often wondered, btw, how Sherlock can be so energetic and incredibly fit, with all his running around and martial arts and jumping elegantly over barriers of all sorts, without ever working out! Sherlock at the gym is too ridiculous to contemplate, but if not, how else does he do it?)

That´s indeed something I´ve wondered, too.. maybe he´s secretly working out with youtube videos when everyone´s asleep. Or he´s doing parkour at night, always with Belstaff coat of course.. ^^

Last edited by Zatoichi (September 3, 2014 9:08 am)

September 3, 2014 2:25 pm  #31

Zatoichi wrote:

Or he´s doing parkour at night, always with Belstaff coat of course.. ^^

*snort*

Oh, that would be a sight for the Gods. I can totally, totally see it. Yes, question answered, thank you.

(And I suppose he can always add 150 sit-ups before bed anyway if he thinks he hasn't had enough yet.)

*goes off to research home gym equipment*

Last edited by La Jolie (September 3, 2014 2:26 pm)

Board footera