BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 21, 2014 8:15 pm  #21

Re: Episodes or scenes you could watch over and over and over again

Reading about all those scenes and moments you all have just mentioned, I could just sit down right now and watch all of it again immediately.

Oh yes, the pool scene at the end of TGG is an all-time favourite of mine, so is the mind palace scene in HLV.
I also love Sherlock's and John's very first encounter in ASiP... with everything we know about them now, it's always fascinating to watch that scene again and remember where and how it all began. It's so wonderful to see them meet for the very first time.
And of course there's the "You look sad when you think he can't see you" scene in TRF...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 21, 2014 8:16 pm  #22

I haven't got a favourite yet, but the one scene I have watched more than any other is the "Sherlocked" scene.  I loved Series 1, but Series 2 has a very different feel, and I was stunned by that episode when I first saw it.  And that scene: the music, the lighting, the acting, the clothes, the everything.  It's so difficult to choose one screenshot out of all possible ones in that wonderful scene, but I rather like the conflicting emotions in this one.

The banal words "No. Because I took your pulse.  Elevated. Your pupils dliated." when whispered by Sherlock in his deep, vibrating voice become dark, intimate and devastating.  I even liked the puzzle, although it's simple (I'm sure many people guessed before the reveal, but I didn't), because Sherlock had to combine his wits with his understanding and feeling of emotion to get there. I saw the character in a different way after this.

August 22, 2014 9:08 pm  #23

I love all the deductions - all of them.

The ones that Sherlock kind of spits out in order to impress someone (like the Bond Air deduction in ASIB, or the "Sorry, Benedict" Fireplace deduction in THOB) are good, of course, because they're so unbelievably quick and clever.

But I like those where he's enjoying himself just for the sake of it even better. Like the woollen hat in TEH, or my all time favourites, the ones in ASIP
a) in 221b about Rachel and how to locate the phone and
b) in Lauriston Gardens about the missing suitcase.

He's practically singing and dancing his way through those ones in ASIP and that sense of energy and elation is totally contagious.

Actually I feel that Sherlock has never been (allowed to be) as brilliant again and enjoy it as much as he was and did in ASIP. "I play the game for the game's own sake" was ACD Sherlock's motto after all, and while this was rightly and justly also a big theme in ASIP, it kind of dropped out of the series after that. IN TBB he tells Sebastian he doesn't need a financial incentive to start working on a case, but apart  from TBB and THOB, all the other cases have been about saving the country (ASIB, TEH), or saving John/making John happy (TRF, TSOT, HLV), or saving specific other people (TGG).

Can Moftiss please give Sherlock a break in S4 and let him practise the science of deduction as l'art pour l'art again, for a change?

Last edited by La Jolie (August 22, 2014 9:20 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

August 23, 2014 6:42 am  #24

tonnaree wrote:

Just rewatched HOB the other day and my love for the mind palace scene cannot be over stated.
The mind palace stuff in S3 is more showy but the one in HOB will always be special to me because it was our first.
It's just beautiful to watch.  Ben's hands are so graceful and his facal expressions eloquent.  The whole thing is like a dance.
I've stated before that it would be wonderful to get some behind the scenes info on this one.  How much was planned out?  Did Ben improvise any?  I'd really like to know. 

Aaaand:

Liberty wrote:

I haven't got a favourite yet, but the one scene I have watched more than any other is the "Sherlocked" scene.  I loved Series 1, but Series 2 has a very different feel, and I was stunned by that episode when I first saw it.  And that scene: the music, the lighting, the acting, the clothes, the everything.  It's so difficult to choose one screenshot out of all possible ones in that wonderful scene, but I rather like the conflicting emotions in this one.

The banal words "No. Because I took your pulse.  Elevated. Your pupils dliated." when whispered by Sherlock in his deep, vibrating voice become dark, intimate and devastating.  I even liked the puzzle, although it's simple (I'm sure many people guessed before the reveal, but I didn't), because Sherlock had to combine his wits with his understanding and feeling of emotion to get there. I saw the character in a different way after this.

This.

August 23, 2014 7:29 am  #25

Among dozens of scenes falling under this category, here's one super-short one - Sherlock's quiet "Hello" in TGG - which always makes me jump.
That voice... like a velvet punch into my stomach. Could watch it over and over. Never wears out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 24, 2014 9:57 am  #26

La Jolie wrote:

... Can Moftiss please give Sherlock a break in S4 and let him practise the science of deduction as l'art pour l'art again, for a change?

I totally agree with you. I really miss it as well!

Favourite scenes... that's tough. Apart from the scenes that have brilliant dialogue, I love all the scenes where music and imagery just fit so perfectly. But it's much harder to point them out...

ASiB, the scene when John is driven to the meetup with Irene. when the car drives towards battersea power station - I could watch that on repeat for ages

ASiP, cab driver and Sherlock discussing serial killing - Sherlocks expressions are so brilliant, and I love the setting

HLV, the mind palace scene, more exact: Sherlock climbing up the stairs

ASiB, Sherlock "calling" the police - because that's just plain sexy, and very nicely set: black suit and gun in front of that white house

TBB, the circus perfomance - I love the atmosphere there

HLV, Appledore, Sherlock going down on his knees... I don't have to say anything to that I think

TEH, when John comes back to 221b, the way the dust comes off of the curtains and reflects in the light... beautiful

and of course in Hounds, the fireplace deduction

It's really hard pointing them out like this. Will watch again, and then I'll have some more to put here, I'm sure. What I realised is that I usually don't rewatch for dialogue, but for images and/or music... I didn't realise my focus was so much on that.

Last edited by Whisky (August 24, 2014 9:58 am)

"It is what it is."

August 24, 2014 2:50 pm  #27

Whisky wrote:

La Jolie wrote:

... Can Moftiss please give Sherlock a break in S4 and let him practise the science of deduction as l'art pour l'art again, for a change?

I totally agree with you. I really miss it as well!

Me three! 

Really there have only been two that were strictly mystery-based, and not developed to move the larger story arc:  The Blind Banker and Hounds, both middle episodes. 

Some people say these are the weakest of the episodes, but I really like them precisely because they are all about Sherlock doing his thing.  I would love to see more like this, with the soap opera stuff put on hold for a bit.

August 26, 2014 12:24 am  #28

I completely agree with Whisky about Sherlock going down to his knees in HLV, it's heartbreaking. And a quote from your signature: "Quiet, calm, peaceful... isn't it hateful?", Sherlock delivers this line in such a good way, we just see how badly he needs a case, an opponent, a chase.  

I also love the talk with Kitty, how he "reads" her, he's so close to her and says his devastating "You repel me" in the sexy voice. I like that he's no such "innocent" as he was before he met Irene, and he can be seductive when he wants to. Kitty started the game but he won easily. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

August 26, 2014 8:37 am  #29

Whisky wrote:

HLV, Appledore, Sherlock going down on his knees... I don't have to say anything to that I think.

No, you don't. Probably my all time favourite in the category "drama", too. *sobs*

Marta wrote:

I also love the talk with Kitty, how he "reads" her, he's so close to her and says his devastating "You repel me" in the sexy voice. I like that he's no such "innocent" as he was before he met Irene, and he can be seductive when he wants to. Kitty started the game but he won easily. 

That's an excellent observation! The Sherlock of S1 probably wouldn't have handled that situation so well. He'd probably have tried to let it bounce off him, but he wouldn't have actively turned it to his own advantage. Which is brilliant and exciting and just shows that Irene Adler - think of her what you like - did us all a great favour by un-locking, so to speak, that aspect in Sherlock's make-up. It's greatly increased his possibilities of manipulating people and that's always fun.

Scenes or moments I love, I have to add that I love Sherlock's over-pronounced end consonants. 

"Afghanistan or IraQ" (to John in ASIP)
"It doesn't worK" (to the CIA guy in ASIB)
"The man beneath the haT" (to Kitty in TRF)
"YeP" (passim)

and so on and so forth.

Far too little of it in S3, though!

August 26, 2014 8:39 am  #30

That gives me an idea for a next alphabet game! 

(Two, that is...)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 26, 2014 9:00 am  #31

La Jolie wrote:

Scenes or moments I love, I have to add that I love Sherlock's over-pronounced end consonants. 

Oh, yes!  My favourite is "It means I've got a text". 

The letter T is suddenly sexy.

August 26, 2014 9:01 am  #32

Oh yes, all the mentioned scenes are great - he´s so darn sexy with Kitty, and I also love the over-pronouned end consonsants *sigh*.

Another scene I could watch over and over is how he walks up the stairs while deducing what happened to Mrs. Hudson in SiB. The hotness.. Actually everything from this to "Mrs. Hudson leaving Bakerstreet, England would fall!" 

And it´s a bit obvious but I could watch THE KISS over and over again..

August 26, 2014 9:27 am  #33

La Jolie wrote:

Oh yes, definitely! I love that, too! 
That really makes me wonder... it's probably not written in the screenplay like that, so is it Benedict's idea to do that?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 26, 2014 2:22 pm  #34

Whisky wrote:

HLV, Appledore, Sherlock going down on his knees...

That's the scene that changed everything for me, where I went from being a casual fan of the show to a rabid one. I just remember staring at the screen, not breathing, mouth agape. There was just something about Sherlock being submissive that undid me.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

August 26, 2014 2:31 pm  #35

I want to ask - is there actually any scene in Sherlock not worth watching over and over?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 26, 2014 3:39 pm  #36

maryagrawatson wrote:

There was just something about Sherlock being submissive that undid me.

I know exactly what you mean. It's completely against the laws of nature, rank impossible - and then it does happen.

For me, that moment was when the show went from "just" great to epic. The ending of HLV is classical tragedy. Events move with a nightmarish inevitability towards disaster, there's nothing to stop it, and when you look in the faces of those that know, you see their hearts breaking and yours breaks right along with theirs.

In a good way. In the best of ways.

August 26, 2014 4:21 pm  #37

Zatoichi wrote:

Oh yes, all the mentioned scenes are great - he´s so darn sexy with Kitty, and I also love the over-pronouned end consonsants *sigh*.

Another scene I could watch over and over is how he walks up the stairs while deducing what happened to Mrs. Hudson in SiB. The hotness..

Yes and yes. Sherlock's "I've got a text" is the sound when I get a text 

And his face when he gets to 221b...

I'm scared and I didn't do anything. 

SolarSystem wrote:

That really makes me wonder... it's probably not written in the screenplay like that, so is it Benedict's idea to do that?

It would seem so, it's Benedict's thing like playing with props.

maryagrawatson wrote:

Whisky wrote:

HLV, Appledore, Sherlock going down on his knees...

Mary

Yes. And even Mycroft, the higher power, is unable to do anything.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

August 26, 2014 4:34 pm  #38

La Jolie wrote:

maryagrawatson wrote:

I know exactly what you mean. It's completely against the laws of nature, rank impossible - and then it does happen.

The only other time we see this is near the end of TRF when he's being handcuffed. John is legitimately angry about that because the officers are doing it just as a power play (handcuffs aren't automatic in a British arrest) and Sherlock is very submissive/compliant about it.

Again, so, so, so many parellels between the final acts of those two episodes. Amazing how one leaves me feeling annoyed and the other just about makes my heart explode.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

August 26, 2014 6:56 pm  #39

Well that could be extensive 

A Study in Pink:
The whole scene from the blanket situation with Lestrade to the moment when Sherlock “introduced” John to his brother.

The Great Game:
Gay Jim! 

The Great Game/Scandal:
The swimming pool scene, Moriarty arises ;) incl. Stayin’ Alive

Scandal:
-the orgasmic text alert at breakfast 
-when Sherlock reveals “I am SherLocked” 

Baskerville:
the whole gay innuendo by the hotel owner

Reichenbach:
-in court
- Moriarty arrives in 221B for tea time
- John: “don’t do that look…”
- rooftop

Empty hearse:
-Morlock kiss 
-John hits Sherlock three times
-John shaves off  his beard

Sign of three:
- drama queen
-“I’m your best friend?!”
-Mycroft does sport

Last Vow:
- Janine is Sherlocks “girlfriend”
- Christmas
- The Watsons have a domestic (so extraordinary well played)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

August 26, 2014 7:01 pm  #40

Sign of Three...well seeing as we had to wait 3 series: the hug!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera