BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2013 9:59 am  #1

Would you still watch it if it was called "Shirley and Jamie"?

In the Robert Downey Jnr film version of Sherlock Holmes, Mycroft calls Sherlock - Shirley and I think Mary calls John - James.

So my question is if the BBC show was called "Shirley" or "Shirley and Jamie", would you still watch it?

January 22, 2013 11:33 am  #2

Re: Would you still watch it if it was called "Shirley and Jamie"?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 22, 2013 11:36 am  #3

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

This speaks for itself :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 22, 2013 11:41 am  #4

If they would do it for some good reason, why not? I just can't see such reason at the moment...

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 22, 2013 12:21 pm  #5

Harriet wrote:

If they would do it for some good reason, why not? I just can't see such reason at the moment...

If such a reason exists trust me I have not found it...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

January 22, 2013 6:49 pm  #6

It would be a different concept, then

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 22, 2013 7:16 pm  #7

Harriet wrote:

It would be a different concept, then

They could have an all female cast; & instead of solving mysteries together, Shirley and Jamie could run a relationships consulting practice where mystified couples come to find out why they no longer feel as in love as they used to and Shirley could state the obvious that one of them is having an affair (Sherlock is already doing that without running a consulting practice) and Jamie could do the emotional counselling for them.

And yes it would probably end up looking nothing like what the BBC show is now. 

Last edited by saturnR (January 22, 2013 7:18 pm)

January 22, 2013 7:21 pm  #8

What did you have for breakfast? Is it obtainable without a prescription? 

January 22, 2013 7:35 pm  #9

No I am naturally high Plus I'm a (currently non-active) fanfiction writer. Us writer types are very good at thinking about things that don't make sense.

January 22, 2013 7:52 pm  #10

Well, it makes wonderful no sense - in a way it could even work! LOL 

February 6, 2014 10:44 am  #11

Okay this started out as a joke but now I'm seriously considering it as a plot bunny I'm trying to feminize all the BBC characters but keeping them in the modern day.

Cast:
Shirley (Sherlock) = Consulting Matchmaker (to facilitate (sort of) relationships)
Jamie (John) = Doctor (Instead of army put Médecins Sans Frontières)
Mylie (Mycroft) = Google Executive(because we all know they actually control the world not the government )
Ian Adler (Irene) = instead of dominatrix; put paparazzi
Jen Moriarty (Jim) = Consulting fabricator (to destroy relationships)
Marvin Cooper (Molly) = Computer tech guy.

Premise = same as Sherlock but instead of solving cases, Shirley & Jamie solve people (sort of)

February 6, 2014 10:59 am  #12

Mnemosyne wrote:

Harriet wrote:

If such a reason exists trust me I have not found it...

Oh my god, how rude does my comment look?! (I don't even remember writing that one.) I am so sorry.

If it were the identical show with just a change in gender to the characters I would give it a go but it probably wouldn't 'feel' the same for me. (I think it's because in my head they are 'stuck' as being male.)

Can anyone think of an original fictional equivalent to Sherlock and John (so I can read the hell out of it?) The concept in and of itself sounds genuinely fascinating, I'm just not sure if that could translate well onto screen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

February 6, 2014 11:07 am  #13

saturnR wrote:

Okay this started out as a joke but now I'm seriously considering it as a plot bunny I'm trying to feminize all the BBC characters but keeping them in the modern day.

Cast:
Shirley (Sherlock) = Consulting Matchmaker (to facilitate (sort of) relationships)
Jamie (John) = Doctor (Instead of army put Médecins Sans Frontières)
Mylie (Mycroft) = Google Executive(because we all know they actually control the world not the government )
Ian Adler (Irene) = instead of dominatrix; put paparazzi
Jen Moriarty (Jim) = Consulting fabricator (to destroy relationships)
Marvin Cooper (Molly) = Computer tech guy.

Premise = same as Sherlock but instead of solving cases, Shirley & Jamie solve people (sort of)

Again, let me know what you are having for breakfast 

Mnemosyne: Don't worry, really no need! 

February 6, 2014 11:09 am  #14

No I meant it as a fanfiction prompt lol, I know it would make for a very weird show if they actually made it into one. I like the original show the best but I like this idea as an AU for fanfiction (just too lazy to write it myself so am throwing it out there as a plot bunny that's free for adoption )

February 6, 2014 11:11 am  #15

I do know - and support this prompt   

February 6, 2014 11:17 am  #16

I think I would give it  go... out of curiousity. But all depends on the content, and I couldn't stand watching a crap :]

The Road goes ever on and on...

February 6, 2014 11:23 am  #17

How bizarre. You people scare me.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 6, 2014 11:49 am  #18

Harriet wrote:

What did you have for breakfast? Is it obtainable without a prescription?

*snerk*

February 6, 2014 11:52 am  #19

saturnR wrote:

No I meant it as a fanfiction prompt lol, I know it would make for a very weird show if they actually made it into one. I like the original show the best but I like this idea as an AU for fanfiction (just too lazy to write it myself so am throwing it out there as a plot bunny that's free for adoption )

Fan fic? Really?  Wow, I only read Johnlock, and if this is a possible plot bunny for a viable Sherlock fan fic, then apparently there is a big, wide, huge fan fic world out there I know nothing about.  Speaking only for me, well, I don't "do" women, lololol-- in spite of being one myself---  women and their ideas, thoughts, feelings, sexual lives, etc, do not interest me. So no, I wouldn't watch. And I wouldn't read any fan fic with female characters either. Ugh. *shrug*

February 6, 2014 12:48 pm  #20

Well Benedict is a big part of why I watch the show (other than the absolute brilliance and clevernes of it all). But put him in a dress and I'd love it!

I would actually like to see that happen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera