BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2014 10:02 pm  #1

Least favourable fan review of S3 I've read so far...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 17, 2014 10:28 pm  #2

Re: Least favourable fan review of S3 I've read so far...

1. It was answered and suitably so to anyone not bent on conspiracy theories.
2. Different stories require different cinematic techniques.  This series required more of a cinematic approach.  It worked for the stories of this series.
3. I don't even understand what they are complaining about here.  Makes no sense.
4. This series had more character development than the past two series combined.  Just because one doesn't like how the characters turned out doesn't mean that it was done badly.  It's fiction, not reality.
5. The Sign of Three was brilliant.  Magnussen was great…I could go on, but basically this person just wants to rant about every single thing in every episode.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 17, 2014 11:11 pm  #3

I'm sad to say. I do agree with most of this blogger's opinion. Series three did seem off to me and I hate to say it, I can't rewatch it fully unlike Series 1 and 2. Plots were underwhelming. Characters like CAM were underwhelming. I just...just can't get into like the last two. 

January 17, 2014 11:12 pm  #4

I'm a bit worried now because I actually understand why she's so angry and I'm not so sure in how many points she's actually right.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 18, 2014 1:35 am  #5

No matter if you agree or disagree, a review is an opinion and everyone has one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 18, 2014 7:37 am  #6

I must admit that I've stopped reading it after about 2/3 of it, because I didn't see the point in continuing.
I'm with sj4 when it comes to parts I've read.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 18, 2014 8:46 am  #7

She certainly makes some valid points, but I have to say that I can't really take her/her review seriously. A little less ranting might have done the trick for me to actually being willing to give some of the points she makes a serious thought. Might be pedantic, but come on: it's "Mary", not "Marry"! She probably couldn't care less, but still...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 18, 2014 12:24 pm  #8

Brilliant!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 18, 2014 12:34 pm  #9

This review is certainly over the top (especially the part about series 3 changing her live!), and she missed many subtler hints , but IMO she has some valid points. For example, I thought, it was a terrible idea to completely change the 'flavour' of Mrs. Hudson's character. Some things are better left unknown. That's a minor point, though, but she addresses bigger plot holes as well. The longer you think about the reasons, Mary shot Sherlock, the less it makes sense. Maybe, we will see this with different eyes after season 4, but increasingly, I harbour the suspicion, that all sorts of clues and hints and suggestive dialogs are thrown in, which keep us busy, but they are really making it up, as they go along. As our board member The Doctor said, I find it chilling, that the makers admitted, that they made TRF too early.
Whoever is interested, might like to read the review in GQ couk. The reviewer makes a convincing argument, why the digital revival of Moriarty was really a bad artistic move, since it can only end in disappointment. Either, he's really alive with all sorts of credibility problems in toe, or he isn't, which makes it a cheap sensationalistic cliffhanger. Mind you, there's still the chance, that they come up with a very good explanation, one way or the other, but it's worthwhile to follow the links, given in that article. Moffat apparently has a well documented tendency to build up big expectations with many tantalyzing hints thrown in, only to come up with a very unsatisfying solution, or deliver none at all.

Last edited by sherlocked (January 18, 2014 1:11 pm)

January 18, 2014 1:26 pm  #10

I read it through, although it is far too long and these are my two cents: of course she has made some valid points, especially about plot holes. The fact is, that there are ALWAYS plot holes, sometimes big as the Star Trek Enterprise and they will always show if we try to apply the rules of absolute logic and realism. The whole TRF and SiB fall apart as soon as we begin to analyze them in detail. (Let's not talk about BB!)The way they have shown Sherlock's fall in TRF was something that could not have been explained in a satisfactory way, not once the factor of hidden assassins was introduced and Moftiss new it well enough. Therefore, instead of introducing a "rational" explanation, which would be disappointing anyway, they buried it into a net of more or less fan-related theories and added a grain of mystic in the final conversation between Watson and Sherlock for those fans who (like me) value the emotional impact of TRF.I suppose that many negative reactions and criticism were born from an emotional attachement to the characters and the tendency to consider them almost as they were REAL, They are not: Sherlock may be the most intelligent and witty TV series I have ever seen, but it is still a SHOW and it follows the rules of the film genre not those of the real life. I think we need to remember this if we want to enjoy it fully.

January 18, 2014 1:31 pm  #11

Quite.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 18, 2014 1:43 pm  #12

miriel68 wrote:

I read it through, although it is far too long and these are my two cents: of course she has made some valid points, especially about plot holes. The fact is, that there are ALWAYS plot holes, sometimes big as the Star Trek Enterprise and they will always show if we try to apply the rules of absolute logic and realism. The whole TRF and SiB fall apart as soon as we begin to analyze them in detail. (Let's not talk about BB!)The way they have shown Sherlock's fall in TRF was something that could not have been explained in a satisfactory way, not once the factor of hidden assassins was introduced and Moftiss new it well enough. Therefore, instead of introducing a "rational" explanation, which would be disappointing anyway, they buried it into a net of more or less fan-related theories and added a grain of mystic in the final conversation between Watson and Sherlock for those fans who (like me) value the emotional impact of TRF.I suppose that many negative reactions and criticism were born from an emotional attachement to the characters and the tendency to consider them almost as they were REAL, They are not: Sherlock may be the most intelligent and witty TV series I have ever seen, but it is still a SHOW and it follows the rules of the film genre not those of the real life. I think we need to remember this if we want to enjoy it fully.

I fail to see how ASiB or TRF 'falls apart" under closer examination.  Both of them are very tightly written.  The only episode that really has any huge plotholes that destroy the episode's credibility is TBB.  Personally, I think they needed TRF last series before the break, because it kept interest during the long layoff.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

January 18, 2014 2:30 pm  #13

miriel68 wrote:

I suppose that many negative reactions and criticism were born from an emotional attachement to the characters and the tendency to consider them almost as they were REAL, They are not: Sherlock may be the most intelligent and witty TV series I have ever seen, but it is still a SHOW and it follows the rules of the film genre not those of the real life. I think we need to remember this if we want to enjoy it fully.

Miriel you articulate what I wanted to say, only better. 

I really enjoyed coming to this forum but the amount of hate an critcism is really putting me off now, I'd much rather talk to people who actually like the show, like I do. I'm not sure yet whether I'll be hanging around here longer if it stays this way. 

Anyway, I agree with Miriel, I think the problem is that some fans are just a little bit too obsessed and indeed emotionally attached to the show and the characters. Maybe they're (you're) still pretty young, I don't know, and it doesn't matter. A bit of obsession is good, but if it spoils the fun it might be better to take a step back. 

Of course there are going to be things that don't really make sense IRL, Mark even said on the commentary that Hounds doesn't really make sense. Fictional universes have different laws than the real world. There are fans here with a medical, scientific or forensic background and we have to suspend disbelief all the time, 'cause the technical side doesn't make sense all the time either. Some people can, some can't and that's fine, difference of taste, I hope they find something else that they do like. Something really realistic perhaps. 

(Maybe Mycroft had a valid point about Redbeard.)

January 18, 2014 3:47 pm  #14

silverblaze wrote:

Anyway, I agree with Miriel, I think the problem is that some fans are just a little bit too obsessed and indeed emotionally attached to the show and the characters. Maybe they're (you're) still pretty young, I don't know, and it doesn't matter. A bit of obsession is good, but if it spoils the fun it might be better to take a step back. 

Creators/writers today have surely a difficult life, given that new technologies give the fans a possibility to watch and re-watch every tiny detail and spot all errors etc. And for Sherlock to be a cult series now has its good and bad sides, because a part of the fandom tends to treat it as kind of real thing and - worse - to feel they "own" the series because the are so ardent about it. I think this board is really very sane, compared to some other places, where the people claim to know better than Moffat and Gatiss what are the sentiments between Sherlock and John or feel entitled to maintain that they M&G have "no right" to say or to write certain things.Series 3 was difficult to swallow for some people, because it experimented with some new genres and introduced new filmic elements. I was not completely convinced by TEH, but I admired creators' boldness to think out of the box. They could have played it "safe" and repeat the formula which proved to be so successful earlier. Instead, they decided to develop BOTH the characters and the narrative scheme of the show. Once I accepted it, I embraced their ideas with new enthusiasm. sj4iy: sorry, it would take me too long to deconstruct now TRF and TSiB, but just think about time factor in TSiB and all the gaps in Moriarty's plan (for example, could he really forsee that John would punch superinspector, lol?). It doesn't matter, IMO, TRF is probably the most gripping and heart wrenching piece of television I have ever seen (now I added HLV).  

January 18, 2014 6:16 pm  #15

miriel68 wrote:

silverblaze wrote:

Creators/writers today have surely a difficult life, given that new technologies give the fans a possibility to watch and re-watch every tiny detail and spot all errors etc. And for Sherlock to be a cult series now has its good and bad sides, because a part of the fandom tends to treat it as kind of real thing and - worse - to feel they "own" the series because the are so ardent about it. I think this board is really very sane, compared to some other places, where the people claim to know better than Moffat and Gatiss what are the sentiments between Sherlock and John or feel entitled to maintain that they M&G have "no right" to say or to write certain things.Series 3 was difficult to swallow for some people, because it experimented with some new genres and introduced new filmic elements. I was not completely convinced by TEH, but I admired creators' boldness to think out of the box. They could have played it "safe" and repeat the formula which proved to be so successful earlier. Instead, they decided to develop BOTH the characters and the narrative scheme of the show. Once I accepted it, I embraced their ideas with new enthusiasm. sj4iy: sorry, it would take me too long to deconstruct now TRF and TSiB, but just think about time factor in TSiB and all the gaps in Moriarty's plan (for example, could he really forsee that John would punch superinspector, lol?). It doesn't matter, IMO, TRF is probably the most gripping and heart wrenching piece of television I have ever seen (now I added HLV).  

Just to answer it: not sure what John punching the guy in TRF has to do with it.  Moriarty wanted Sherlock to run, not John.

January 18, 2014 6:18 pm  #16

But John's hititng the chief inspector meant he and Sherlock were both arrested.

January 18, 2014 6:34 pm  #17

besleybean wrote:

But John's hititng the chief inspector meant he and Sherlock were both arrested.

Yes, but John didn't have to get arrested for Moriarty's plan to work.  In fact, John didn't need to be there at all.  So long as Sherlock found the newspaper and went to Kitty, it would have gone according to plan.

January 18, 2014 6:49 pm  #18

With both hands cuffled behind his back it would be rather difficult for Sherlock to escape...

January 18, 2014 6:56 pm  #19

miriel68 wrote:

With both hands cuffled behind his back it would be rather difficult for Sherlock to escape...

It's Sherlock.  He probably had 4 or 5 ideas by the time he got down there.  He even said that it was going to be more difficult with the two of them...he never planned on John being cuffed to him.

January 18, 2014 7:02 pm  #20

That was always my argument about John having to watch Sherlock jump...he really wasn't meant to be there!

Board footera