BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 30, 2012 6:30 pm  #1

Sherlock Holmes Conference in London

I think I might go to this. 

http://filmint.nu/?p=6377

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

December 7, 2012 9:12 am  #2

Re: Sherlock Holmes Conference in London

This is a must do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

February 11, 2013 11:30 am  #3

The Institute of English Studies of The University of London is holding a conference entitled: Sherlock Holmes, Past and Present. It will take place on 21-22 June 2013 at the Senate House, Malet St. London WC1E 7HU.

General link to their home page which has a quick link to conferences:

http://www.ies.sas.ac.uk

There is then a link to a call for papers. If you click on the link for this  it  gives  you an excellent idea of what the conference might cover.

Last edited by Davina (February 11, 2013 11:34 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 24, 2013 3:02 pm  #4

I'd just like to announce the pleasing news, that myself and a fellow member here (Morton) have been accepted to speak at the conference!

We roleplay with each other a hell of a lot and so we decided to put forth a paper on the interpretation of Sherlock Holmes by a modern audience through the mediums of roleplay and cosplay.

We wrote an introduction saying what our paper was going to be about, sent it off, and got accepted. Now we're meeting up again next weekend to finish the rest of the paper.

We'll be delivering it in full Sherlock & John cosplay (of course!) and will keep you posted on further details.

February 24, 2013 3:41 pm  #5

That's amazing! :O

Do you think it will be filmed?

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

February 24, 2013 3:53 pm  #6

Congrats, Boss! Enjoy! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 24, 2013 4:44 pm  #7

Very exciting, Boss! Keep us up to date. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 24, 2013 7:23 pm  #8

Congratulations Boss. It should be entertaining for the audience at the very least. Any audience participation planned? Vatican cameos? 

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 28, 2013 3:41 pm  #9

I will definitely go to London for this conference. Waiting for registration to open so that I can book train and hotel accordingly. Should be fun!

February 28, 2013 8:19 pm  #10

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I'd just like to announce the pleasing news, that myself and a fellow member here (Morton) have been accepted to speak at the conference!

We roleplay with each other a hell of a lot and so we decided to put forth a paper on the interpretation of Sherlock Holmes by a modern audience through the mediums of roleplay and cosplay.

We wrote an introduction saying what our paper was going to be about, sent it off, and got accepted. Now we're meeting up again next weekend to finish the rest of the paper.

We'll be delivering it in full Sherlock & John cosplay (of course!) and will keep you posted on further details.

Hope you can share it with us after the conference.

March 4, 2013 7:40 pm  #11

biscuitbear wrote:

I will definitely go to London for this conference. Waiting for registration to open so that I can book train and hotel accordingly. Should be fun!

It'd be great to see you. At the moment registration seems to open in May.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

March 4, 2013 8:03 pm  #12

Morton wrote:

biscuitbear wrote:

@Morton
Stop wasting time on here and reply to our roleplays!

March 5, 2013 12:41 am  #13

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Morton wrote:

biscuitbear wrote:

@Morton
Stop wasting time on here and reply to our roleplays!

You know perfectly well why I can't reply to them 

March 5, 2013 9:28 am  #14

Mmhh, May is a bit late to get a good deal on Eurostar for June. I may have to take a leap of faith and book train and hotel already. Do you have any idea whether the registration will be expensive?

March 5, 2013 11:00 am  #15

Why not give their admin a call and ask? They must have a good idea...I would hope.

March 5, 2013 2:04 pm  #16

Actually I was reading Scuttlebutt from the Spermaceti Press, Feb edtition, and saw that they gave an email contact, so I'll email. I'm not much of a phone person.

March 17, 2013 1:04 am  #17

biscuitbear wrote:

Mmhh, May is a bit late to get a good deal on Eurostar for June. I may have to take a leap of faith and book train and hotel already. Do you have any idea whether the registration will be expensive?

Sorry it took so long to reply.

Details of the Draft Programme and Registration costs are on the Sherlock Holmes Past and Present  Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/SherlockHolmesPastAndPresent

Our registration rates are £20 for speakers, concessions, and IES members, and £30 standard.
Includes according to theor page Lunch for two days, four coffee breaks, and a drink reception.

March 17, 2013 8:13 pm  #18

SherlockHound wrote:

This looks like a fantastic event, by the way! I'm definitely going to register for it too. Is someone going to organise a meet of forum members here? That could be pretty entertaining.

Maybe this could be interesting for you:
http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=59046#p59046

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

March 17, 2013 9:08 pm  #19

Well, you have a week left to get to know us better. Hurry! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

March 18, 2013 1:59 am  #20

SherlockHound wrote:

This looks like a fantastic event, by the way! I'm definitely going to register for it too. Is someone going to organise a meet of forum members here? That could be pretty entertaining.

A message posted on there this past Friday says that registration opens in the next week!

We'll be there both days of the conference. I'll let you know when the programme has been finalised which day it is for certain that we presenting our paper as well We can arrange to meet up. It'd be great to see you.

Board footera