BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 31, 2012 9:10 am  #61

Re: MEMBERS POLL: What's your age?

That's a fair point. I don't think it's necessary to have read ACD to enjoy the show. I just imagine that people are introduced to Holmes through the stories and then find the tv shows. With the two movies and a lot of positive reviews out there as well, I guess that it's less true than before. Before this series and the movies, I imagined Holmes was a lot more esoteric, so that you'd usually find an older crowd of fans.

Last edited by Lupin (July 31, 2012 9:14 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the foil of a detective a thief or a magician?

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

July 31, 2012 9:20 am  #62

Lupin wrote:

That's a fair point. I don't think it's necessary to have read ACD to enjoy the show. I just imagine that people are introduced to Holmes through the stories and then find the tv shows. .

Maybe I'm weird (very probably, lol) but I came to the TV show with nuthin'. Not even the Robert Downey Jr movies.

July 31, 2012 9:28 am  #63

Ha, I'm the opposite actually. I've read all the canon as well as some stories of Maurice Leblanc's foil of Sherlock, Arsene' Lupin, Gentleman Thief. I watched the old movies with Basil Rathbone and the old tv show from the 50's. I guess I imagine Holmes fans to be fanatics and am a bit behind the times myself. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

July 31, 2012 12:44 pm  #64

oops, better not post my age - Younglings, all of you!

lol

I feel so old!!

July 31, 2012 4:10 pm  #65

The Doctor wrote:

oops, better not post my age - Younglings, all of you!

Not hardly.

July 31, 2012 5:07 pm  #66

Possibly. Possibly not.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 31, 2012 6:18 pm  #67

There were similar discussions when the original Star Trek series drew a lot of ardent fans who were not (or had not previously been) general science-fiction fans.  Heresy!

(Just showing my age here!)

Lupin wrote:

... I guess I imagine Holmes fans to be fanatics and am a bit behind the times myself....

And who says we're not all fanatics?

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (July 31, 2012 6:33 pm)

July 31, 2012 7:36 pm  #68

Carol the Dabbler wrote:

There were similar discussions when the original Star Trek series drew a lot of ardent fans who were not (or had not previously been) general science-fiction fans.  Heresy!

(Just showing my age here!)

Lupin wrote:

... I guess I imagine Holmes fans to be fanatics and am a bit behind the times myself....

And who says we're not all fanatics?

Ha, fair enough. I guess I haven't seen anyone in the forums dogmatically arguing canon or quizzing each other on the messages sent in Adventure of the Dancing Men or the riddle in the Musgrave Ritual.

July 31, 2012 7:53 pm  #69

I am a 67 year old American woman. With a PhD

July 31, 2012 8:07 pm  #70

PhD?

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 31, 2012 8:44 pm  #71

Doktorat.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 31, 2012 9:39 pm  #72

SandraNM wrote:

... and from New Mexico, right, Sandra?

July 31, 2012 9:57 pm  #73

SandraNM wrote:

Nice to meet you, fellow old one. I'll be 63 in a few days, and I have an AAS (associate in applied science), a two-year technical degree that I earned so long ago, there were actual T. Rex's peering in the 2nd story windows of my college classrooms.

I bow to your education. In the era we grew up in, women who worked outside the home were secretaries (no such thing as an admin asst in those days), teachers, nurses (I was a dental hygienist) and store clerks.  The rare female who did anything else was educated, indeed.

July 31, 2012 9:58 pm  #74

SandraNM wrote:

Am I allowed to ask questions? Your field of study? And did you start this education way back in the 60s, or later on in life? Still using your degree in your career? And yes, I am nosy to the max. Feel free to ignore me. *g*

August 1, 2012 12:07 am  #75

It's great that Sherlock can reach across so many demographics.  We get to hear a lot of different viewpoints.

August 1, 2012 2:52 am  #76

ancientsgate wrote:

... In the era we grew up in, women who worked outside the home were secretaries, ... teachers, nurses, ... and store clerks....

All too true -- not in general due to legal restraints, just societal expectations.  It never occurred to us to try for anything else.

I was a teacher for a few years, but discovered that I was not temperamentally suited to dealing with petty-dictator administrators.  By then, there was a growing demand for computer programmers, and colleges (except for engineering schools) were not yet granting degrees in that field, so I was able to get on-the-job training and embark on a new career.

It was great fun, by the way.  I've always likened it to solving puzzles for a living, and was delighted when Sarah (in "The Blind Banker") described Sherlock & John's livelihood with those exact words.

September 10, 2012 9:33 pm  #77

Bump!

September 11, 2012 12:36 pm  #78

My age is somewhere between that of Irene Adler and Jim Moriarty. Or rather, the actors who played them.

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 11, 2012 8:37 pm  #79

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

Sammy wrote:

Hm, interesting!
We should get ourselves a 70+ member.

It's curious that the people here are mostly older. I guess it's because it's "just" a good ol' fan forum and not something like tumblr which still is kinda new (well..) and dominated by young folk.
But, as you pointed out, this might be the reason it's so calm and relaxed here! (which is very nice!)

Who shares the first category with me?
Molly, you there? And who else? 

I share the first category.

Me too! 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well.” HP and the Deathly Hallows

"Why's it always the hat photograph?"The Reichenbach Fall

September 11, 2012 9:35 pm  #80

The year i was born there was "Heart of Glass"by Blondie on the dancefloor !

Board footera