BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 13, 2012 11:51 pm  #1

Newbie from the Philippines

Hello everyone! I just signed up this week and I am very happy to be a part of such a very active community on Sherlock.

I read Sherlock when I was a kid and I am loving the series to bits. I haven't seen any of the other adaptations (save for the Robert Downey Jr movies, which I really loved) but I hope to remedy that in the near future.

Aside from Sherlock, my interests include writing, crafts, traveling, Japanese pop culture (I am a big fan of Fukuyama Masaharu, in case anyone here is a fan too) and I love languages too.

Hmm, I can't think of anything else...I was born in the 80s like Irene :D

Anyway, have a great day, everyone!

June 14, 2012 12:06 am  #2

Re: Newbie from the Philippines

Welcome, jimella!  You're going to have lots of fun here!

Who is Fukuyama Masaharu?  I know I could look it up but, well, I don't feel like it.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 14, 2012 12:20 am  #3

Hi Jimella welcome! Now I have to google Fukuyama Masaharu. Is he cute?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

June 14, 2012 12:38 am  #4

Thank you for the warm welcome, Sentimental Pulse and Sherli. Yes, Fukuyama Masaharu is cute. The cutest 40+ year old man in Japan 
He is mainly a singer and actor, but he also has a radio show and he is a photographer as well. Quite popular in Japan. If ever they choose to dub Sherlock in Japanese, I hope they cast him as Sherlock. Benedict's voice is much better but Fukuyama's deep voice may suit the role 

June 14, 2012 1:29 am  #5

Hi,Jimella -- welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. There are threads for everyone.
I'm into languages, too. What ones do you speak or have you studied?

June 14, 2012 5:31 am  #6

Welcome to the forum Jimella, I hope you have great fun here!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 14, 2012 7:44 am  #7

Thank you Davina ^_^

veecee wrote:

Hi,Jimella -- welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. There are threads for everyone.

Thank you veecee ^_^ The only one I studied seriously was Japanese. Spanish and German were just for a few months.  How about you?

June 14, 2012 8:08 am  #8

Nice to meet you, Jimella. Japanese, that is interesting. I speak German, English and French and understand a little Italian and Dutch. We are really global  .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 14, 2012 8:28 am  #9

Hi Jimella...nice to meet you and welcome to the forum.

I'd recommend watching the Jeremy Brett adaptations next...he was a big influence on Benedict's portrayal of SH.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 14, 2012 1:41 pm  #10

Glad you found the "Introductions" thread, Jimella! Welcome, and have fun.

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 14, 2012 2:23 pm  #11

Hi Jimella, welcome to the madness! I am just down the road from you in Australia. Pop by one evening, we'll have dinner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

June 14, 2012 2:30 pm  #12

Welcome aboard Jimella!

I've a slight hankering for Japanese culture too

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 14, 2012 8:54 pm  #13

jimella wrote:

Thank you Davina ^_^

veecee wrote:

Thank you veecee ^_^ The only one I studied seriously was Japanese. Spanish and German were just for a few months.  How about you?

Mostly romance languages -- Spanish, Portuguese, some French, a little Italian and Catalan.
I would like to learn more Japanese. The class I went to was only once a week, so hard to really get into it. Can you write it?
The only thing I can remember in Farsi (Persian) is how to say "I don't speak Farsi." Whenever I say it to someone who does speak it, they start speaking to me in Farsi, even though they understood what I just said. They're just so happy to hear a westerner give it a try.

June 17, 2012 10:34 am  #14

jimella wrote:

(I am a big fan of Fukuyama Masaharu, in case anyone here is a fan too)

I'm also a fan of the japanese Sherlock Holmes counterpart.

June 18, 2012 1:47 am  #15

Welcome = ).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

June 18, 2012 8:58 am  #16

Tantalus wrote:

Glad you found the "Introductions" thread, Jimella! Welcome, and have fun.

Thanks for pointing the direction, Tantalus. I am having so much fun over here. This is such a great community

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Hi Jimella...nice to meet you and welcome to the forum.

I'd recommend watching the Jeremy Brett adaptations next...he was a big influence on Benedict's portrayal of SH.

Thanks for the rec, Sherlock. Must watch them next. I read so much about Jeremy Brett but outside of his Holmes work, I don't know much about him.

hepzibah wrote:

Hi Jimella, welcome to the madness! I am just down the road from you in Australia. Pop by one evening, we'll have dinner

Sure thing! Will let you know if I am in Oz.

m0r1arty wrote:

Welcome aboard Jimella!

I've a slight hankering for Japanese culture too

-m0r

Thanks for the welcome, m0r!  Yay, 3 Japanophiles in this community so far

Milkomeda wrote:

Welcome = ).

Thank you

darknessinzero wrote:

jimella wrote:

(I am a big fan of Fukuyama Masaharu, in case anyone here is a fan too)

I'm also a fan of the japanese Sherlock Holmes counterpart.

Haha, don't get me started on THAT guy.

June 18, 2012 9:58 am  #17

Welcome, Jimella  . I just googled Fukuyama Masaharu whom I didn't know before. A very handsome interesting looking guy  .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 18, 2012 10:31 am  #18

@SusiGo: I know, right? He's 43 years old and he doesn't look like it. Men in Japan want to be him, women want to do him. That's what they all say :D

June 19, 2012 7:02 am  #19

veecee wrote:

Mostly romance languages -- Spanish, Portuguese, some French, a little Italian and Catalan.
I would like to learn more Japanese. The class I went to was only once a week, so hard to really get into it. Can you write it?
The only thing I can remember in Farsi (Persian) is how to say "I don't speak Farsi." Whenever I say it to someone who does speak it, they start speaking to me in Farsi, even though they understood what I just said. They're just so happy to hear a westerner give it a try.

Yes, I can write and read Japanese. I taught part time for a couple of years. I quit because my day job was getting too stressful.

June 19, 2012 4:49 pm  #20

Hi and welcome!
You can count me to the japanophiles.. ;)

Board footera