BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 3, 2013 8:21 pm  #161

Re: Recently watched movies.

The Life of Pi- finally managed to catch it on the flight over to Canada (loooooong flight so anything that helps the time pass is a good thing).  I loved this film in every respect. What I particularly loved was that a bulk of it could be followed purely visually. Wonderful use of colour and cinematography. The acting was really strong (and Rafe Spall can do a Canadian accent too eh!)

Lincoln- hmm. I also saw this on the flight so maybe I was a bit tired. I actually found parts of the dialogue tricky to follow. The main performances were very strong and I actually thought Tommy Lee Jones performance was a tour de force. I still have the nagging thought that had this not been about an American President and the abolition of slavery in the US that it may not have been up for so many Oscars, and won them.

I saw A Knight's Tale (again) here on TV yesterday. I had forgotten what a thoroughly enjoyable film this is. Sad to see poor Heath Ledger, looking so young in it too. Also has Paul Bettany, Rupert Sewell and James Purefoy in it which means it has to be worth watching again in my book  . I love the fact that it is deliberately not very historically correct, especially the costumes. I absolutely love the use of the pop music tracks such as David Bowie's Golden Years and We Will Rock You. If you haven't ever seen this film do so. I don't think you will be disappointed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 7, 2013 10:05 pm  #162

I watched Lawrence of Arabia on TCM last night. How did Peter O'Toole not win an Oscar for this performance will forever baffle me (much although I loved Gregory Peck in TKAMB). Anyway this is an astonishing film in every respect from the score to the cinematography to the acting. 1963 and still has the ability to shock and move.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 8, 2013 7:09 am  #163

(Firstly can I just say it's so good to be back on here.   I was without internet and then this didn't seem to be working last night.)
But that made me laugh, Davina.
I watched Florence of Arabia while in labour pains with my son...I still get twinges, whenever I see it.
Great film and great performance.
I'm very into Lawrence and his story.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 8, 2013 9:22 am  #164

(Re)watched the Greent Hornet this morning. Just because. It's an alright movie, nothing spectacular, but I do like Jay Chou's part in it, and that a C-pop artist is appearing in American films.

------------------------------------------
There's no shortcut to a dream. It's all blood and sweat and life is what you manage in between.

April 8, 2013 9:28 am  #165

Davina wrote:

I watched Lawrence of Arabia on TCM last night. How did Peter O'Toole not win an Oscar for this performance will forever baffle me (much although I loved Gregory Peck in TKAMB). Anyway this is an astonishing film in every respect from the score to the cinematography to the acting. 1963 and still has the ability to shock and move.

It's been one of my favourite films for decades. I totally fell in love with Peter O'Toole when I was fifteen.  As you say, it's a shame he didn't win the Oscar, it's a breathtaking performance. And I love how they didn't really make any concessions and showed the darker sides of Lawrence's character, even hinting at his masochist tendencies. I went to London in 1989 when the director's cut was shown in cinemas and went there three times during my holiday. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 8, 2013 6:56 pm  #166

besleybean wrote:

I watched Florence of Arabia while ...

This typo made me laugh out loud!

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

April 8, 2013 7:11 pm  #167

Er, no typo.
Deliberate.
Can't remember who the quote is from:  O'Toole is so camp, he's more like Florence of Arabia.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 8, 2013 7:16 pm  #168

It's from Noel Coward. "If he was any more beautiful, they'd have to call it Florence of Arabia." 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 8, 2013 7:20 pm  #169

What a lovely quote from wonderful Noel.

April 8, 2013 10:29 pm  #170

And you know, he was right. Peter O'Toole was beautiful in that film. I was reading about all the injuries he received  whilst filming...astonishing!

(I also loved the use of the film and the character in Ridley Scott's Prometheus. There was a lot not to like about Prometheus but this I did like and Michael Fassbender's speech patterns following those of Lawrence as played by Peter were just perfect. Plus the relevance to the plot. )

April 9, 2013 12:18 am  #171

besleybean wrote:

Er, no typo.
Deliberate.
Can't remember who the quote is from:  O'Toole is so camp, he's more like Florence of Arabia.

Ok, my bad. Ya learn something new everyday. It still made me laugh out loud.

April 9, 2013 2:09 am  #172

I don't think Noel Coward meant camp...he meant that he is literally beautiful.

April 9, 2013 6:27 am  #173

Davina wrote:

I don't think Noel Coward meant camp...he meant that he is literally beautiful.

Oh. God. Yes. 

April 9, 2013 7:04 am  #174

Yes, I apologise unreservedly.
I was given the wrong quote.
The actual quote is so much better.
Indeed, Peter was beautiful and a fine actor.
Tho I am more interested in the story of the man he portrayed.

April 9, 2013 9:45 am  #175

SusiGo wrote:

Oh. God. Yes. 

I've never actually seen LoA, but based on this picture alone, I wonder...
How do you think BC would do in the role?

April 9, 2013 10:45 am  #176

Well, I think he could pull it off. He doesn't look like Lawrence but then neither did Peter O'Toole . Much too tall and good-looking. But as for the acting … wow. And I think there are few difficult roles Benedict couldn't play. 

April 9, 2013 10:48 am  #177

besleybean wrote:

Yes, I apologise unreservedly.
I was given the wrong quote.
The actual quote is so much better.
Indeed, Peter was beautiful and a fine actor.
Tho I am more interested in the story of the man he portrayed.

Yes, it's an amazing story. I wonder if they'll ever do a film about Lawrence's life after the war which was quite astonishing. He distanced himself from what he did in Arabia and enlisted as a common soldier under a false name. And there's of course his complicated sexuality which is hinted at quite openly in "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom", his memoir of the Arab campaign. I know there's a play by Terence Rattigan about this. Maybe Benedict should give it a try. 

April 9, 2013 5:42 pm  #178

The Seven Pillars of Wisdom is worth a read. Definitely a film worth watching. I love this part too...

Don't be confused by the reference to David- it's a Prometheus thing.

April 9, 2013 7:46 pm  #179

I don't recall the movie The Seven Pillars of Wisdom, but I do remember seeing that scene before.

April 9, 2013 7:56 pm  #180

Seven Pillars is a book written by T.E. Lawrence. The film is called Lawrence of Arabia. 

Last edited by SusiGo (April 9, 2013 7:57 pm)

Board footera