BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 3, 2013 4:22 pm  #121

Re: Recently watched movies.

Hunger the first movie directed by the genius that is Steve McQueen. This film is about the Irish Republican Hunger Strikes in the Maze Prison, Northern Ireland in the 1980s. The key figure is that of Bobby Sands. The film won a Palm d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival. Steve comes from a fine art background and this often shows in his film work. The film is composed of 3 acts. The first has very little dialogue but is full of amazing images. As the director explained it is set up rather like a river that you float down, looking around getting a sense of where you are. The second act contains an amazing 18 minute two-header taken in one shot, followed by another 4 minute change of view. This is a dialogue between Bobby Sands and a Catholic Priest. There then follows a marvellous scene which allows time to absorb what has just been said on screen.The final act follows the progression of his hunger strike until his death. This has a 15 certificate here and has a lot of violence and I wouldn't recommend watching it whilst eating (or shortly afterwards). That said this is an astounding piece of work. It does not take sides but does examine the damage down to all those involved in these events.

This is a film saturated with politics but also has fantastic characterisations.

Those of you who do not have English as a first language may have to get a sub-titled version if possible as I don't think you will understand the accents.

As an afterword Michael Fassbender, who plays Bobby Sands, went on a 10 week diet between the end of filming the first and second acts to reduce his weight to 58 kilos for the filming of act 3.

Last edited by Davina (March 3, 2013 4:24 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 3, 2013 6:13 pm  #122

The Life of Pi - Wow, what a movie! I didn't know what to expect and I was pleasantly surprised. I'm glad I finally saw it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

March 3, 2013 9:46 pm  #123

Loved the book! Desperate to see the film!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 3, 2013 9:52 pm  #124

I watched it today. It's really extraordinary. I don't know the book but it's a spectacular story with wonderful images. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 4, 2013 2:43 pm  #125

So how do you interpret it? The 'second story' is the real one, right?? That shocked me

Last edited by Mell92 (March 4, 2013 2:44 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 4, 2013 2:49 pm  #126

Probably. But I somehow think that the animal story helped Pi to survive and to carry on with his life. I don't know when he created it - during his time on the ocean or later after he had been rescued. Anyway, for him it is the important story because it is the one he tells in such a detailed way. And the tiger is the only creature on board that has no equivalent in the "second story", so I suppose he must be a powerful symbol of Pi's own strength or, in his view, of God's influence. That's what I make of it without having read the book. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 4, 2013 3:19 pm  #127

SusiGo wrote:

Probably. But I somehow think that the animal story helped Pi to survive and to carry on with his life. I don't know when he created it - during his time on the ocean or later after he had been rescued. Anyway, for him it is the important story because it is the one he tells in such a detailed way. And the tiger is the only creature on board that has no equivalent in the "second story", so I suppose he must be a powerful symbol of Pi's own strength or, in his view, of God's influence. That's what I make of it without having read the book. 

I thought Pi was the tiger in the second story? And yes, the story probably helps him deal with what really happened. It was a wonderful film, in each case

March 4, 2013 3:24 pm  #128

The next three films on my list are: Hitchcock, Hyde Park on Hudson and Silver Linings Playbook.

Has anyone seen one of them already?

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

March 4, 2013 3:31 pm  #129

Mell92 wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

I thought Pi was the tiger in the second story? And yes, the story probably helps him deal with what really happened. It was a wonderful film, in each case

Yes, that's possible. For me it doesn't definitely get clear. Or in his imagination he somehow splits himself up into the tiger and himself. I like films that make you think.

March 4, 2013 4:38 pm  #130

SusiGo wrote:

Mell92 wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, that's possible. For me it doesn't definitely get clear. Or in his imagination he somehow splits himself up into the tiger and himself. I like films that make you think.

Hmm, yes I see, that sounds very possible too And indeed, films that blow your mind are the best ones! 

March 4, 2013 8:51 pm  #131

Most the the most recent films I have seen I came across by looking through this forum. I left reviews of most of them under the Benedict Cumberbatch's non-Sherlock work section. 

They include: Creation - outstanding, Hawking - outstanding, Van Gogh - A Painting with words - breathtakingly outstanding, Wreckers - excellent film that I will never watch again, The Last Enemy - Fairly good, I have just finished To The End of the Earth and have not formulated a review yet. Need to think about it for a bit, but still a very thought provoking set of films.

Yesterday we watched The Time Machine again. My seven year old was seeing it for the first time. It is always interesting to see films through the eyes of the young. I think he liked it, well at least the parts of it he saw. The boy can't sit still for a 2 hour period of time! LOL

Some true film greats are: Steel Magnolias (odd that, since I generally don't care for 'chick flicks'), Lorenzo's Oil, The Bourne Trilogy is some of the best action adventure out there, The LOTR trilogy is beyond reproach IMO, I liked the Hobbit as well. As a matter of fact I'll go see anything that Peter Jackson directs. He did a fabulous job with King Kong.

Mostly I like vegging out to science fiction, action adventure, D&D (death and destruction), and fantasy. They don't even have to be that stellar but not poorly done either. Someone mentioned Prometheus somewhere in this thread. It did NOT live up to the hype. The prequel to the Alien franchise was weak in plot and effects. Honestly it kind of sucked. If you want to see that kind of discovery science fiction check out Sphere. It is older but excellent and the acting is far better.

Really excellent quality films that make me think are great, but I have to limit the number of them I watch in a given period because they tend to take over my free space for a time. Watching all of those films that I found on here was wonderful, but my head has been so wrapped up in the story lines and discovery that I feel a little bit overwhelmed. Sounds weird huh? Well I have so little free time that packing all of those films into a short space has left me saying - I can't watch anything of substance for awhile! Bring on the space balls! LOL

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

March 5, 2013 4:24 pm  #132

Pitch Perfect: Although it reminds me a bit too much of Glee not to be a copycat movie, I still liked it Good singing and good mash-ups. Worth watching.

March 5, 2013 5:01 pm  #133

I was disappointed too with Prometheus. Not so much the effects because a cracking story can make up for a lot but for the storyline itself and the poor sloppy construction (if that's the right word) of characters. The blame for this too must lie at the feet of the writers. It is never good when one does not care about what happens to a character.

My daughter and I are off to see Stoker at the cinema tonight (it's only £5 a ticket on a Tuesday at our local picture house). I will post a review thereafter.

I saw what is quite an old film (1995) yesterday Se7en. A disturbing story but fantastic script, great, tight story, marvellous portrayals by the actors. This is a cracking film. Morgan Freeman, Brad Pitt, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kevin Spacey etc. all do fine work. Directed by David Fincher. You can still see why this film received many, many awards. Catch it if you can! 18 certificate in the UK.

Last edited by Davina (April 19, 2013 12:35 pm)

March 5, 2013 5:16 pm  #134

Davina wrote:

I was disappointed too with Prometheus. Not so much the effects because a cracking story can make up for a lot but for the storyline itself and the poor sloppy construction (if that's the right word) of characters. The blame for this too must lie at the feet of the writers. It is never good when one does not care about what happens to a character.

Precisley my point. You spoke it better than I.

Davina wrote:

I saw what is quite an old film (1995) yesterday Se7en. A disturbing story but fantastic script, great, tight story, marvellous portrayals by the actors. This is a cracking film. Morgan Freeman, Brad Pitt, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kevin Spacey etc. all do fine work. Directed by David Fincher. You can still see why this film received many, many awards. Catch it if you can! 18 certificate in the UK.

This was indeed a very good film. It was one of those films that 1. should only be viewed by an adult, 2. it was another one of those films that I could only watch once. The subject matter is so powerful.

For and excellent edge of your seat film with outstanding characterisations look at The Edge. 

March 5, 2013 9:19 pm  #135

Well the film we saw is actually called Stoker. Young Mia Wasikowska is the lead with Nicole Kidman and Matthew Goode (who is gloriously wicked). This is an 18 in the UK. My daughter and I loved this film. It is a thriller/ horror. It has strong Gothic elements. We both thought that the cinematography was brilliant- who thought blood could create such beautiful images. Park Chan Wook directed. I can thoroughly recommend this but only if you like horror movies that have an art-house feel. Fantastic acting throughout.

DramaGod I think you might love this too. I know how you like a good horror movie.

March 6, 2013 6:25 pm  #136

The Time Traveler's Wife: Didn't expect that ending, I never read the book. So much sadder than I expected, but also better, in a certain way Beautiful story.

March 6, 2013 7:11 pm  #137

Read the book but not seen the film. Will try to.

March 7, 2013 12:23 am  #138

Davina wrote:

DramaGod I think you might love this too. I know how you like a good horror movie.

I'll keep the name in mind. And about Se7en, it's one of my all-time favorite movies. It's been in my TOP-10 (that has like 30 films in it) for many years. It's such a masterpiece in every way and it doesn't really have that 90s look that would make it look dated to our present eyes. I think it's a timeless film and Fincher's finest to date.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

March 7, 2013 12:40 am  #139

I watched Les Misérables on Monday, Hawking yesterday and I just finished Starter for 10

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

March 7, 2013 5:04 am  #140

To see a spectacular performance by Kevin Spacy check out The Usual Suspects. The end of the film will leave you amazed and shaking your head. Kevin Spacy rocks.

Lily, how did you like Hawking? It was a wonderful performance by BC. Another spectacular performance by him was Van Gogh - A Painting with Words. That one is on-line. You can find a link to it in the section of the forum about BC's non-Sherlock work.

Board footera