BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 9, 2013 8:36 pm  #41

Re: Recently watched movies.

@Mary Me - I think the actual premise of IN TIME was interesting but it was just poorly executed. I liked the whole idea of using your remaining days and as currency.

My movie diary tells me that I saw 267 movies in 2012. This year I've seen a few movies at this point.

SPIDER-MAN (2002)- Not a very good film but still better than THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN that came out last year. Kirsten Dunst is cute. I'm a sucker for dimples.
THE MACHINIST (2004) - Saw it for the fifth or so time and I still like it a lot. Very clever film that's beautifully shot and a great performance from the withered Christian Bale.
PROMETHEUS - (2012) Bought the Bluray and saw it for the second time. It's an OK film but the plot holes and the script leave it far from a masterpiece.
WOODY ALLEN - A DOCUMENTARY (2011) - A 3-hour documentary of my favorite director. Lots of nice info I didn't know from before and lots of interviews from people who acted in his movies. Spans his whole career from his stand-up days up until MIDNIGHT IN PARIS.

Also saw a couple of comic book documentaries. At the moment I'm watching TUCKER AND DALE VS EVIL and it's really funny. If you liked CABIN IN THE WOODS and SHAUN OF THE DEAD, I highly recommend this flick.

Last edited by Dramagod (January 9, 2013 8:37 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

January 10, 2013 3:07 am  #42

I saw Magic Mike, which wasn't so very magical.

Words, which could have used a few more to explain what the hell was actually going on.

Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, which has awesome English actors in it, but really cemented my idea that India is not a good vacation destination idea for me. I've reached Garbo status and "want to be a little more alone" when vacationing.

The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes, which I really enjoyed and was impressed by how much Moftiss used in our favorite Sherlock.

The Cabin In The Woods, which was an interesting premise for a horror movie, but I felt it lacked something in the end.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

January 10, 2013 6:21 am  #43

Dramagod wrote:

@Mary Me - I think the actual premise of IN TIME was interesting but it was just poorly executed. I liked the whole idea of using your remaining days and as currency.

Agreed. That's my opinion too - it could have been a good movie, because the main idea was interesting. But the realisation failed. And the cast was not quite good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 12, 2013 6:12 pm  #44

LIFE OF PI (3D) - A very good movie. Touching, visually stunning and loyal to Yann Martel’s original book to which it’s based on. Richard Parker was so well done that you really rooted for him, even though he was made with CGI. 4/5

BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD - Very differeent from what I expected but very watchable. Nice music and great performances from people with no prior acting experience. Especially the lead girl was very impressive. 3,5/5

R’AH - A 6-minute sci-fi short film made by some student in his early twenties. Quite impressive. You can check it out in Youtube.

THE TOXIC AVENGER - Not sure if I ever saw this from start to finish but if I did, it’s been well over 20 years. Not much to say about this one. 1,5/5

Last edited by Dramagod (January 12, 2013 6:15 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 12, 2013 8:11 pm  #45

I want to go and see The Life of Pi. I loved the book and have a direct interest in the film itself.

The Toxic Avenger sounds...interesting. As high as 1,5 out of 10 eh?

I am going to try to watch Beasts of The Suthern Wild if possible. Sounds worth it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 12, 2013 8:21 pm  #46

I want to see Life of Pi. What is it about?

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 12, 2013 9:00 pm  #47

PI and his life. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 12, 2013 9:04 pm  #48

Davina wrote:

PI and his life. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 12, 2013 9:06 pm  #49

Sounds exciting.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 12, 2013 9:19 pm  #50

I don't know much more than: A man and a tiger on one (or two) little boats, after their ship sunk.

(gosh, these changing message-approaches drive me crazy!)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 13, 2013 12:12 am  #51

Snrk.  What the above posters said . . . . sorta.  The Indian teen Pi is en route with his family and their zoo on a huge ship, when it crashes, leaving him and the tiger eventually the only ones left on the small boat (with a... sort of, raft attachment he stays on for distance sometimes), stranded at sea together for a long time.  I haven't seen it, and only read a little bit of the start of the book, but watch the trailer... it takes a 'lost at sea' thing (with a kid.  and a tiger.  the hardest thing to film!) and makes it look gorgeous, and it's very spiritual, about survival and their fates.   One of my too-growing list of films I wanna see....  ;P

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 13, 2013 12:56 am  #52

Davina wrote:

I want to go and see The Life of Pi. I loved the book and have a direct interest in the film itself.

The Toxic Avenger sounds...interesting. As high as 1,5 out of 10 eh?

I am going to try to watch Beasts of The Suthern Wild if possible. Sounds worth it.

I rate from 1 to 5, so it was 1,5 out of 5. Though it might as well have been out of 10. If you're not familiar with the movie, in the 80s there was this production company called Troma and they made all kinds of disturbing movies with very little money. Toxic Avenger was probably their biggest hit. I'm sure you've seen the protagonist somewhere before. He was this wimpy kid who fell into a barrel of radioactive waste and turned into this deformed monster and started ripping bad guys' arms off. Very subtle.

January 13, 2013 7:46 am  #53

Don't know where the 10 came from! Sounds dreadful. Perhaps Toxic Waster might have been a better title.

Life of Pi- the trailer gives a good feel for the story. Not everything, but enough.

January 14, 2013 6:41 am  #54

Huh.....  love watching movies, but didn't really catch this thread before, or remember to post in!   Neat to see the differing ranges... been swinging myself between older stuff I always meant to catch, and way too many new things wanting to see that get added to the long list, you know how it goes... just depends on finding it, or having the right night for it!

The past month or two, was compelled to finally sit down with both 'War Horse', and 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy', for obvious reasons.  Heh.  Usually motivated to see a movie on it's own interest/merits, with the people in it a close second reason... but ever since enjoying Benedict and Martin so much, couldn't help curiously checking out what they were like in other things.  And yes, Benedict is great in both.  Everyone else in TTSS too, for that matter... love Firth and Oldman.  And seeing him in such a different role, and even looking so different, and the whole steady-paced cold war spy thing I never watched much of.  Well done.  I wish I could say I came off with the same feeling with 'War Horse'... feel like I really wanted to like it more, being so 'deep' and 'epic pretty war movie', but... erf... you know how sometimes they just ladle the sentiment on a little -too- much?  Plus, "Sherlock" and "Loki" having a few awesome scenes together, then gone.  P
'Atonement' had a lot more Benedict, and a lot more tense depth, though.  Great cast, almost uncomfortable but good message, a pretty impressive five-minute long shot, and admit was curious solely after hearing Gatiss (I think) had his eye on Benedict after seeing this movie... admittedly kinda neat seeing his performance that way.
On that note, though, was also thrilled (since very rarely go to theater) to see 'The Hobbit', just delighted with Bilbo and the entire 'epic fantasy' as a whole.  Didn't even feel like nearly three hours, so good.  But, of course, that's why we have a whole other thread for it.  ;)

Then there was 'Ruby Sparks', a sweet little independent film I was intrigued by the moment I read the summary.  Author of one famous book is now completely blocked, and tries to get out of it by pouring his heart into writing pages about this girl, Ruby, and falling in love with her.  Which makes things a little awkward when he wakes up one more to find her in his kitchen, acting as though she's always been there, and they've always been dating, and some of the deeply philosophical issues of self/love that come up.  Pretty good.
'Looper', on the other hand... as a couple have mentioned... awesomely ridiculously insane... Willis and Gordon-Levitt are so good at playing off younger/older versions, and the child actor in it blew me away.  Recommend for a neat mentally-twisting sci-fi focused on a sharp story between the characters.
Unfortunately, my most recent I'm not entirely sure I recommend.  Anyone recall 'Perfume'?  Based on a book about a young man with hyper-sensitive nose that leads to an obsession with smells, especially those of beautiful young women, leading to a murder mystery.  Interesting story and metaphor... but quite disturbing.  The other big odd thing about it that struck me, was being totally unfamiliar with Ben Whishaw (then interesting coincidence someone else praising him/The Hour earlier), and with certain expressions/ways his face is shown, I kept thinking how weirdly neat it was it looked like he could pass for a relative of Benedict's.  Looking up his IMDB page, not so much now, but..... well, here... a younger shot at a good angle, from that movie:   http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3971072/nm0924210  A little striking, with the shape of face.... no?
Ok.... I officially like to ramble on too long instead of short answers (hmm... maybe like a certain favorite actor...  ;)  ;D)  just fun talking about interesting things seen.  Love to hear any thoughts, or see what else gets watched soon!  Night!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

January 14, 2013 11:58 am  #55

THE HOUSE OF THE DEVIL - I really liked how it took place in early 80s and not modern day. The lead girl is very cute and I love her hair. The movie started off nicely, basically nothing happens in the second act and the ending is pretty conventional and feels out of place. Despite of the slow 30 minutes in the middle, manages to build up tension quite nicely. Well worth watching. 3/5

January 14, 2013 1:15 pm  #56

Yesterday I saw 'Männer, die auf Ziegen starren" (The Men Who Stare at Goats). 
"More of it is true than you would believe". I can only agree with this statement.
Even if the story is absolutely bizarre, and you're sometimes a little bit confused, the film tells us a really important message: Namely, how idiotic war is and how stupid the people who run it. 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 14, 2013 6:29 pm  #57

Russell wrote:

'Looper', on the other hand... as a couple have mentioned... awesomely ridiculously insane... Willis and Gordon-Levitt are so good at playing off younger/older versions, and the child actor in it blew me away.  Recommend for a neat mentally-twisting sci-fi focused on a sharp story between the characters.

I was doubting whether to go and see this one or not. I think I'm going to give it a try

The last movie I saw was 'The Impossible'. Wow. Just. Wow.
So emotional, such great acting (both adults and children), so, so, heavy. If you're going to see this, bring tissues.
I don't usually cry when watching movies, but this was overwhelming. It's based on a true story of a family who survived the tsunami.
They really paint you a picture. When they get hurt in the water, you can almost feel their pain, and it's heartbreaking.
At first, everyone in the movie theatre was eating chips and popcorn, but after a short while everybody just stopped eating and put their food away, that's how sad the movie was.
There are some very heartwarming scenes in there too. They made me cry even more I don't easily cry when somthing is sad, but I'm a sucker for 'beautiful things/moments'. 
Trust me, go and see that movie. It will be worth it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

January 14, 2013 7:49 pm  #58

Swanpride wrote:

... I actually had to watch it alone, because one half of my friends think that they are too old for animated movies, and the rest was "but I'm not really into computer games".

Ok, this kind of comment always makes me snort/laugh in wryly confused bemusement.  Too old?  Seriously, too old??  For stuff like Dora the Explorer, sure, maybe, but I'm in my low-30's and I adore well-made stuff like Pixar movies and such!  

January 15, 2013 4:14 am  #59

Awww... c'mon...  but Tangled is one of my favorite animated ones ever!  (from technical standpoint, and just plain adorable.  and this isn't even bringing up the fact that growing up with the classic Disney animations firmly have them rooted in a favorite spot in mind, good for kids or adults... or even a whole other point of completely different yet similar subject matter with anime movies... talk about not always being 'silly cutesy kid's stuff'!!)

January 17, 2013 2:26 pm  #60

Disney rocks
This week I saw the 'restored' version of Beauty and the Beast
I don't care what people say, you are never to old to watch a Disney movie

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

Board footera